Beginning weight machines, help!

Options
2»

Replies

• jesspi68
    Options
    i too was just going to start with weights but have no idea what to do ? i currently only have 3 and 5 lbs hand weights. i am getting 8 lbs this weekend. can i use 5 and 8? will i get results with that? right now i am doing 30ds and rin30 which has a lot of strength exercises in it, i was thinking of doing those but more of them... like 3 reps of how ever i can get in? ( maybe around 10 ).....i will get heavier weights when i can handle the 8lbs good and go up from there, but i wasn't sure that if lifting lighter weights with more reps was even wise or just a waste of time as so many seem to only promote lifting heavy, so only a few times...

bumping because I'd like to know also, I have 8lb weights at my house that I use...
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i too was just going to start with weights but have no idea what to do ? i currently only have 3 and 5 lbs hand weights. i am getting 8 lbs this weekend. can i use 5 and 8? will i get results with that? right now i am doing 30ds and rin30 which has a lot of strength exercises in it, i was thinking of doing those but more of them... like 3 reps of how ever i can get in? ( maybe around 10 ).....i will get heavier weights when i can handle the 8lbs good and go up from there, but i wasn't sure that if lifting lighter weights with more reps was even wise or just a waste of time as so many seem to only promote lifting heavy, so only a few times...

bumping because I'd like to know also, I have 8lb weights at my house that I use...

Both have their places, depending on what your goals are. Heavy weight routines can be fantastic, but so can light weight routines, particularly for overall fitness. Example - when I was on the crew team at college, we did a brutal workout with 2-3 pound weights, where you did 2 min of an exercise, getting as many reps in as you can with good form, and then switched to a different exercise for an hour (10 second breaks in between). You'd be amazed at how much energy you can burn with light weights if you set the goal for an intense workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Don't be afraid of Free Weights

B) See a trainer (To get you started)

C) If you don't want to see a trainer, do some research on correct lifting form.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options

Both have their places, depending on what your goals are. Heavy weight routines can be fantastic, but so can light weight routines, particularly for overall fitness. Example - when I was on the crew team at college, we did a brutal workout with 2-3 pound weights, where you did 2 min of an exercise, getting as many reps in as you can with good form, and then switched to a different exercise for an hour (10 second breaks in between). You'd be amazed at how much energy you can burn with light weights if you set the goal for an intense workout.

thank you. then i think i will start with doing what i am doing in 30ds and rin 30 and just do more of it in a work out session, minus the cardio that is planned on those dvd's.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    3lb weights will not build ANY muscle. 2 mins of lifting like that is simply burning ATP e.g. energy and so depleting you of glycogen, nothing more.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so what about 5 and 8 lbs until i can do 10?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started doing pretty much the same, and switched to free weights recently. Now I prefer free weights, but still had amazing results from machines.

If there's a glute press, that thing is awesome for the tush. And I liked the back extension, too, because it felt damn good. I would add something for the calves. There's probably a calf extension machine. When you're using the leg press, go deep and push with your heels, not your toes.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    bumping for reference
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I don't understand, cardio does not usually build large amounts of muscle.

No, I'm not building muscle because of cardio, I'm just a naturally muscular person. I could never be a ballerina or anything like that. Lol. I will never be "svelte," put it that way. I'm just a naturally big-framed, muscular girl.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    so what about 5 and 8 lbs until i can do 10?

Hypertrophy is generally accept to occur between 8-12 reps, until failure (failure is not utter failure, it is when you can no longer do a 'clean' complete rep).