New to Hula Hooping

Options
OK. I finally broke down and bought a weighted hula hoop. Love it! I got a cheap one at Walmart that I read reviews on first.

Anyone out there hula hoop? After doing it for 47 min, I burned 200 calories...not huge sweat...but I guess its good?

I also have soreness around my pelvic/hip bones...is this just a thing to get used to since is 2.5 lbs hitting my body back and fourth?

I'm just happy I was able to actually keep the damn thing up and hoop for more than a minute or two.

I'm not sure how to keep it up when it starts falling down?

Love something new though. I can feel like a kid again!!! :)

Replies

• VeeGeeMom
    VeeGeeMom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like so much fun! Will check it out the next time I am at WalMart. Is there a CD or music to go with the hoop? Not sure I would go 45 minutes without some king of incentive.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There is a DVD with it only 15 min though. Its kind of instructional. I have to research some more workouts online or something. Its a good buy still, because that's how much other hoops are. This one snaps apart too. The foam is the only sad part, cause you can tare it a bit. Otherwise pretty good.
  • happy_jmavin
    Options
    Question: How do you record your hula hoop workout? The only thing that comes up when I search exercises is the Wii Fit version, which is not the same. I also don't have a weighted hoop, just a regular one I picked up at the dollar store for a fun warm-up.
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am so bruised black and blue after hooping. I only do it 10 or 20 minutes just to add an extra workout but the bruising is not worth it.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been doing the past few months! It is so much fun! I started with a weighted one but have since bought a lighter one made for dancing and have learned how to make my own (really easy, just a bit of irrigation tubing & colorful tape!).

You should google hoopdancing, it is a lot more fun to dance & learn tricks than just spinning the weighted one around, it is something I look forward to every day, very easy exercise for me to stick with! Look for Hoopgirl & Hoopnotica, these are 2 companies with great instructional DVDs... I'd also suggest getting on YouTube and looking at some hooping videos, it is absolutely amazing what can be done with such a simple toy! Great motivation!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I really love my hula hooping..I do an hour at a time , 30 mins each side, while watching telly :laugh:

Am curious about calories burn,mwhen I looked online they said 100 cals per 10 mins?.. But I have a HRM now so will be interesting to see what it says....:wink:
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I love my hoop too but I can't do it for that long. Too boring. I break it into little segments. I put a good song on and hula away 'till the end, then I do something else and repeat the process 'till I just can't do it anymore!
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hoop, but not the same way as you. my hoop is not weighted as I do tricks with it, weighted hoops are not conducive to being pulled on and off the body and changing position and stuff. I do free form hoop dancing, which I personally love, it keeps my body active and my mind quiet, plus there's so much that you can do with it. Someone mentioned hoopnotica and hoopgirl... I personally can't stand either of those women/dvd's... they annoy the crap out of me as do most fitness people on dvd. You should check out safire on you tube or just search for hooping on youtube. It really is a performance art and so beautiful. Also check out Brecken on youtube, her demo video is really goodn (she is a very advanced hooper). it's not instructional, but it will give you an idea of the type of hooping I do and may spark your interest in switching to a more free and interpretive form. And it's such great cardio! Check out this style of hooping and let me know what you think!
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love my hoop too but I can't do it for that long. Too boring. I break it into little segments. I put a good song on and hula away 'till the end, then I do something else and repeat the process 'till I just can't do it anymore!

search for hooping tricks on youtube and try to lean to do some new stuff, like taking it now to the knees or up to the chest. That's good beginner stuff, and once you master that there are also off the body tricks. Safire on youtube has great instructional videos. Also, if your hoop is weighted it might not work.
  • happy_jmavin
    Options
    Question: How do you record your hula hoop workout? The only thing that comes up when I search exercises is the Wii Fit version, which is not the same. I also don't have a weighted hoop, just a regular one I picked up at the dollar store for a fun warm-up.

Can anyone answer my question??
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Low impact cardio ... would be my guess

I have a weighted hoop ... used to be able to do this as a kid .... now not so much. Gotta work on this AND find some videos :smile:
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hoop occasionally with a three pound hoop. I did some Googling months ago to figure out how many calories it burns and somehow came up with 6 calories per minute, which is, of course, 360 an hour. From what I understand, an unweighted hoop requires more effort to keep up, so that may burn more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Have you tried your hoop yet? ..... The smaller the hoop is .... the harder it will be to keep up. I read (here ... on another thread) that the ideal size for a beginner... the hoop comes up to your waist.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Honestly there is not going to be a proper way to record it without using a HRM. Best guess would be using a low impact aerobic category but that would probably not be very accurate.
  • happy_jmavin
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It doesn't really matter I guess, I was just curious how others were recording it. I usually only use it for a 10 min. warm-up, not a full workout. It is a nice big hoop (approx. to my waist I think, as TeaBea suggested), so I find it pretty easy to keep going, once I find a good rhythm. Thanks virginia65us, that calorie count gives me an idea at least; I've never tried a weighted hoop, so I'm not sure how they compare. Birdieaz, what is an HRM?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It doesn't really matter I guess, I was just curious how others were recording it. I usually only use it for a 10 min. warm-up, not a full workout. It is a nice big hoop (approx. to my waist I think, as TeaBea suggested), so I find it pretty easy to keep going, once I find a good rhythm. Thanks virginia65us, that calorie count gives me an idea at least; I've never tried a weighted hoop, so I'm not sure how they compare. Birdieaz, what is an HRM?

HRM=Heart Rate Monitor :)