How slow is too slow for C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    When you are still sitting on the couch - you're going too slow.

I agree with previous poster... go at whatever pace makes you comfortable. I still cannot do a 5K in 30 minutes and I've been running for 6 years. I've just focused on endurance and distance. The rest will come with time.

You beat me to it!! LOL! That's exactly what I was going to say. :laugh: :laugh:
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing this program. I started out walking at 2.9 and running around 4.5. I have never completed the program, so here after months I am on week 4. I walk at 2.9 still and I run/jog at 5.2. If I am in a really good mood I will take the last minute at 6.0. I say listen to your body. I have asthma, so when I am tired and winded I stop regardless of the program. You dont want to hurt your body or yourself. As long as your feet are moving. But I will say that you have to build up to running. The longest I can run (5.2) is 5 minutes and 30 seconds... and that took time. I have never been a long distance runner...I am a sprinter...so I will continue on with the program. Also, if you have to repeat a week, do it. Do not go forward if you can not do it. I tried and that is why I gave up before.

Good luck and you can do it.
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "When you are still sitting on the couch - you're going too slow. "

^ this!

My pb is 48 minutes for the 5k. I love running parkrun although I'm not much faster than walking pace. Time to work on your speed at the end of the 9 weeks, work on your endurance and find a comfortable pace for you. :)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Agree with the rest. You aren't on the couch and that is what the program is all about!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Got somewhere to be in a hurry? Then don't worry about speed.

When it comes to running, you can really only work on one thing at a time. Its either speed or endurance.

C25K works on Endurance. Speed comes much later (although the average runner will increase speed by about 3% every 8 weeks...).

For most running training... use what is called the Talk Test. If you can't talk while running, you are going too fast and need to slow down. The exception to this would be Hills or Speedwork.

I coach at the Running Room. Feel free to add me if you have any questions.

Cheers!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I read that while doing C25K you should start out running as slow as you can, especially if you've never run before and/or are just starting. The point is to get through the entire program and then add speed later. Don't worry about jogging too slow, as long as you're doing it, you're making progress.
    I can walk at 4mph and jog at 4mph also and it worked for me.. that is until I broke my foot. Now I just pray I'll be able to start over again sometime soon. lol
    Good luck and congrats on starting it! Take your time and do it slowly, add speed later!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    run what is comfortable for you, what iv been advised to do is keep doing the same section till you can do it comfortably
    as long as you keep pushing yourself it doesnt matter how long it takes or how fast or slow you go :)
    keep it up :D
    x
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above! There is no such thing!! Just keep at it and you will be shocked at what you can do in nine weeks! C25k will change your life!

Side note: I had shin splints when I started, they went away after week 2.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I did c25k on the treadmill only. Then started running outside. I find running outside much harder, as the treadmill helps you along. After 1.5 months of running outside, I am now completing a5k distance at 5mph avg pace. It is tought, but I can run it nonstop. This is up from 4.5 mph. I am slowly gaining speed with endurance and loving every increase. I use endomondo app on my phone while running. It keeps track of your runs.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I started C25K today and I'm proud to say I completed the entire 30 minutes. I was a sweaty, thought my lungs would explode, red in the face mess, but I completed it. I'm just wondering if I did it at too slow of a pace that might set me up for failure and not being able to complete the whole program. I'm pretty sure it's going to take me longer than the 9 weeks, but I just want to finish.

Here's what I did: I did it on the treadmill with the incline set at .5% for the entire time. Warm-up was at 3.2 MPH, walking parts were at 3.5 MPH and the jogging/running parts were at 5 MPH, cool-down was 2 minutes at 3 MPH and 3 minutes at 2.5 MPH.

Any and all advice or opinions are welcome. I really want to complete this program.

You can totally do this! But don't be afraid to make adjustments. I ended up making my own variation of C25K because I couldn't keep up with the official program. It took me about 13 weeks to run 1 mile without stopping (from Feb. 2011-May 2011). I also couldn't run for more than about 15 seconds at first...now I can run for 5 or 6 miles without stopping (some days) and I am about to run my 3rd half marathon in a couple weeks. Go slow, take all the recommended breaks (and more if needed), make sure you have proper shoes, etc. If your lungs feel like they're going to explode, you might be going a bit too fast. Or you might try breathing exercises like breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth as you run. Or you might get a check up from the dr. to make sure you don't have any kind of lung issue.

Like previous posters have said, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you go...it matters that you're off the couch/out of the house/etc ;)

Best of luck! I am always excited to read about new runners!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's only too slow if you're walking the whole thing, and the definition of running is, at some point in your stride, both feet are off the ground. . I honestly don't think I could "run" 3.5 mph, personally, because I have long legs, but if you can maintain a run at 3.5, it's not too slow. Distance over speed.
  • weaziemand
    weaziemand Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thanks everyone for the advice and all of the encouragement. You don't know how much I appreciate it.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I love this thread! Another slow jogger here. I jog a mile at about 17 minutes BUT I am jogging more and for longer than I ever have in my life before and that is worth celebrating. I totally agree with what everyone said, there's no such thing as too slow unless you aren't doing it at all. And now I'm off to print screen this thread for days when I think I am the only jogger on the planet who can't run 10 minute miles!
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just finished C24Kfree today, I signed up for our Corporate cup run today, too. It takes place on my little brother's 51st birthday, he died May 11th from a long painful bout of tonsil cancer. I'll be motivated knowing he is up there watching me and laughing at me. He was always the runner and I am so not athletic. He'll be tickled just knowing I am doing it!

I run what is comfortable for me. I walk at 3.5 or 3.6 and run at 4.3 to 4.5. I'll restart the whole program again to gain speed. For me it was about just being able to DO IT! I had to listen to my body. I had shin splints, pain in my knees, pain in my hips, and so on and on it went. I slowed down, put my ego aside and let me body dictate what I should do. I didn't want to sustain an injury that would keep me from doing it at all.

I say listen to your body and get the speed later. There's no RIGHT way to do it. Everybody has different levels they can run at. Nobody started out running a 5K in one day. It's all a process. GOOD LUCK!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    well I DONT run... and I DONT jog... I WOG... that is a lot of people can walk faster than I "run"... so what... I am moving and both feet leave the ground at the same time... Way to go!!!
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started C25K today too, also on the treadmill... it may make you feel better to hear that I averaged about 3.0mph walking & 3.5mph running, no incline. I bumped it up to about 3.8 max for a few brief times. I had also read what another poster above pasted from www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html, about taking it slow. I am all for that! I don't want to burn myself out on this and quit right away.