Holy CRAP, peanuts!

Options
So I stopped by the farmer's market this morning for some healthy snacks, and bought what I thought would be a good choice-- raw peanuts. They're a favorite of mine, and I indulged a bit. I'm not entirely sure how many I ate, but I think it was between half and a full cup-- I just went to put it on my food diary and HOLY CRAP. That's alot of calories.

So are peanuts horrible, or what?

I feel awful now because I thought I was making this healthy decision and feel like I might as well eat crap all day now since I consumed 900 calories with breakfast alone.

Replies

• abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Peanuts are good for you....however they do have quite a bit of calories. Don't stress too much. At least they were healthy calories.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, goobers, legumes, subterranean peas. They're fatty, but it's good fat. I prefer almonds.

Don't sweat it, go take a walk. It's all good.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,610 Member
    Options
    ... and feel like I might as well eat crap all day now since I consumed 900 calories with breakfast alone.
    What kind of logic is that??? :huh:
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    Logic?
    What's that?
    Haha. It's not good logic, I know. But I am a bit compulsive and fashion an excuse out of anything.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ... and feel like I might as well eat crap all day now since I consumed 900 calories with breakfast alone.

I once saw a quote on here that spoke to that kind of thinking. I can't remember who said it or even what conversation it came from, but it said something like...

"If you had a flat tire, you wouldn't say, 'what the heck!' and slash the other 3 good ones, would you?"

Go about your day as you planned to. They were high in calories, but they WERE healthy! Think about all of the gross stuff you didn't eat by eating peanuts instead of McDonald's. Just go about your day like you had planned and do your exercise and at the end of the day, if you are still over, then so be it. It happens. But, eating 900 calories isn't an excuse to eat another 1500 calories.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good for you, but all of them are pretty high in calories. Try portioning baggies or containers with 1oz of nuts each. That'll help you control your portion sizes. And honestly, 1 oz of nuts is a pretty satisfying snack.

Also, when you fall off the wagon (even accidentally) try to get back on immediately, not fall further off!
  • junkgypsy
    Options

I once saw a quote on here that spoke to that kind of thinking. I can't remember who said it or even what conversation it came from, but it said something like...

"If you had a flat tire, you wouldn't say, 'what the heck!' and slash the other 3 good ones, would you?"

Go about your day as you planned to. They were high in calories, but they WERE healthy! Think about all of the gross stuff you didn't eat by eating peanuts instead of McDonald's. Just go about your day like you had planned and do your exercise and at the end of the day, if you are still over, then so be it. It happens. But, eating 900 calories isn't an excuse to eat another 1500 calories.

I hadn't thought of it that way! I like that thinking. I'm about to go for a bike ride, burn some of that off. Thanks. :)
  • junkgypsy
    Options

Also, when you fall off the wagon (even accidently) try to get back on immediately, not fall further off!

Very true!

I am going to try the baggy idea, thanks.
  • abr25
    abr25 Posts: 179
    Options
    Portion control!!!!!!! with all nuts :)

Try portioning them out into individual baggies and then you have a healthy yummy ready to go crunch snack whenever you want!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I hadn't thought of it that way! I like that thinking. I'm about to go for a bike ride, burn some of that off. Thanks. :)

I'm glad. Hope the bike ride was great and tomorrow is another day! :flowerforyou: