Fruit and Veg

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I wonder when I have looked food diary's of friends many being American they do not seem to eat alot of fruit and veg I wonder why ?

I'm an american & I don't get this either. I grew up eating fruit & veggies so I guess it's normal for me.

Maybe parents are "pushing" it as much .... too bad. I really hate when a grown up says .... I really don't like vegetables (so sad).
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I think fruits and vegetables should be the backbone of my diet. Unfortunately, I do not always practice what I preach!:blushing: In general, Americans do tend to eat too much processed foods. The convenience of it is a big attraction.
    When both my sons went to college, the first thing they missed at meals was having fresh fruit and veggies!
  • fgodfrey56
    fgodfrey56 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have always loved fruit, and eaten more fruits than vegatables. I am struggling with the sugar issue as well, but much of what I read differentiates between added sugar and the natural sugar in fruit. At the end of the day, it is the total caloric intake that I am monitoring. My current goal is to increase the amount of protein on a daily basis and to eat more vegatables!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There's a programme I watched recently on Sky where a nutrionist is claiming too much fruit really isn't good for you because of the sugars and if eating too much your body won't be able to break all of the sugars down.
    I'm vegetarian and eat hardly any fruit or veg to be honest, and always feel guilty for it. I'm thinking of getting a juicer to get at least a bit of fruit in my diet as I like juices but don't like eating fruit whole.

Are you talking about Laura Church on channel 282? If so what do you think about her?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love my vegetables and fruits. I eat a pound + of vegetables a day and at least 2 pieces of fruit, usually apples, pears, apricots, plums or peaches. I cannot imagine life without them and wish I were in a position to grow my own.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies - probably more than any other type of food! I prefer eating a diet high in veggies and lean proteins rather than processed foods and an overload of carbs. Veggies taste great and I like knowing that I'm putting clean foods into my body. :smile:
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I guess in England we are used to fruit and veg and lots of people still grow there own, I have a small allotment that i rent of the council so I can grow my own veg.

We have always grown tomato's, herbs in pots at home.

I read so much bad stuff about processed foods and have made a conscious effort not eat them as much as possible. While fruit does contain sugar they are natural sugars and as i understand are good for you.

Its refined sugars that are bad like you find in white processed sugar and sweets and processed sweet stuff.