Ideas for cheap, rich football party foods.

Options
Football season is among us and the tradition of my friends getting together every weekend to eat and watch football is here. the only problem is in the past is has been horribly fattening, rotel, chicken wings, hamburgers and hotdogs. I don't want to eat that way anymore.

Anyone have ideas what they would make to feed 4-8 people that my non healthy friends would love too?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I make my own homemade salsa (practically calorie free and delicious!) and I use gluten free all natural tortilla chips. Throw in some homemade guac and it is a man's dream come true.

I also like to make crab dip with Fage 0% yogurt and low fat cream cheese (and the other stuff, hot sauce, green onion, spices, and crab meat). This is good with french bread toasts I bake myself in the oven. I slice a skinny french bread up in really thin slices, spray on a little Pam Olive Oil and bake. They crisp up nice and are really good with the dip.

I like to make Buffalo chicken lettuce cups. The ones who want to be healthy can put them in lettuce cup, the ones that don't can use mini pitas. I make the chicken breast in the crock pot, 2 ingredients, chicken breast (uncooked) and Frank's wing sauce. Granted there is some sodium (ok a lot!) but low calories.

You can make homemade hamburgers with lean ground beef and use potato rolls for the buns. I can't tell the difference! I make these all of the time. There are also some nice lower calorie/fat hot dogs made by Hebrew National that are pretty good and like 90 calories a dog.

I love football, I tailgate at the Dolphins games and I stay healthy all year long! There is no reason you can't indulge, just try to make the indulgence a little healthier. :wink:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Check out Skinny Taste - she has quite a few good party recipes. I've made the buffalo chicken dip before and its excellent (I put double bleu cheese in mine and like 4x the amount of hot sauce, because that's how I roll).

*edit* I took this to superbowl last year, everyone liked it and no one noticed it was lower cal.