Joy FIt Club

courtney_love2001
courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was watching the Today Show this morning and they had a new member inducted into the Joy Fit Club. She lost 110 lbs. in 6 months. She looked amazing, and she was so happy. Yet I was so torn when I heard how she lost her weight...the cookie diet :indifferent:

She said she has been eating 800-900 calories a day with basically no exercise. Now that she is at her goal, she is using the cookies to maintain. Not to downplay her weight loss, because that is truly great (and to each his own), but did she actually learn anything about food? If she stops eating those cookies, will she be able to pick out a healthy meal for herself? I don't know what the message of the Joy Fit Club is, but I don't think this is it.

I really don't mean to offend anyone if you are doing something like this; I was just pondering...

Replies

• mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    I'm really surprised by that...most of the time, the joy fit people have lost the healthy way. Maybe she's joking, or oversimplifying her plan. You can't really lose that amount of weight without learning something about nutrition.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    I agree with you. Thats like doing nutrisystem and things like that. Thats great for the meals but how will they actually learn to fix healthy meals and eat healthy when they are out in public.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Does she look fit/toned? Or just a smaller version of her previous self? :huh:
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    I tried the cookie diet last year. It is very restrictive in calories if you're on the "medical program" in which you're supervised by a doctor. The "lifestyle program" (which I tried) puts you in a broad range of 800-1200 calories a day b/c you are SUPPOSED to eat a dinner consisting of lean protein and 5 c of veggies in addition to the 6 daily cookies. (I met someone who ate only the cookies in an effort to lose faster) The idea of the program is to teach you to eat "mini-meals" every 2-3 hours and there is a support group and nutritionist to help teach you better habits for transitioning off the diet and maintenance . Physical activity was emphasized also so I was shocked when I heard her say that she basically didn't do much.:huh: During maintenance the cookies can be used as a healthy snack. I struggled to choke down 6 cookies a day though. I had been eating horribly for so long that I was having big trouble getting my calories unless they were in chocolate.

Hope that gave a little insight on the program. IMHO MFP is waaay better than dry cookies.:drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Well I suppose that cookie diet doesn't sound as bad as I would've imagined...I do agree though that MFP is way better :) I'm all for the whole "diet and exercise" plan, more so than the "eat _____ and lose weight magically." I usually love watching the Joy Fit Club, just was surprised this morning...they need to pick someone off of this website to be in the club! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.