High energy exercise food

Options
I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this year and it probably did me a favour as it kick started my diet and exercise regime after years of eating without a care, I am cycling over 200 miles a week in an effort to get fit and lose some lard but these rides are taking about 4 or 5 hours and they are burning thousands of calories leaving me starving during the ride so I have been carrying a few chocolate bars for a "quick fix" on the bike and I figured that a little treat will do me no harm considering I am burning so many calories but I really should be eating better before and during my ride so my question is, what should I eat before my ride that will help me to keep going longer and what should I eat during my ride to keep my energy levels up? Please bear in mind that I need to consider that it has to be something that will keep without having to be kept chilled and light and compact would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for any help

Greg

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Anything high in carbs will work well. Candy bars are probably not so good though because they have a lot of fat that will not provide energy during the ride.

Hard candies
    Baked potato
    Pretzels
    Gummy bears
    Fruit
    Etc.

Before the ride a bowl of oatmeal, cerial, banana or something along those lines works well.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks Scott, I will give it a try
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I always have 4 or 5 almonds before a workout and that seems to work a treat