Wedding advice

amberlongsine
amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
I need favor advice. Since my fiancé works for Starbucks, I was thinking of doing 5$ Starbucks gift cards as thank you for coming/favor gifts for the people older than 10 years old / adults and s'more packets (mini Hershey bar, small marshmallow pack, and a few graham crackers) for the kids under 10. 

Are 5$ gift cards too much or inappropriate for favor ideas? 

Thanks in advance. 

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    That's a wee much for a thank you and adds up pretty quickly. weddings are expensive enough. Simple favors are fine
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Depends on how many people. Sounds too much to me. A friend had mini Tim Horton Hot chocolate and coffee packs to give away. They put them at the front for anyone to take, I think they went home with a lot of left overs.
    If still interested, maybe buy some of the instant coffee packs (VIA??) and give one per person.
  • amberlongsine
    Less than 200 people with at least 50 of them being under 10 years old.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    I am over 10 years old and would prefer the candy.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I agree with everyone else--$5 gift cards will add up fast, plus a gift card seems less a true thank you/favor. The thought and effort of the smores packets is cute; why not apply something like that to adults? You can buy the bulk iced coffee or normal coffee packets from starbucks at grocey stores in bulk. I bet a little "coffee favor" would go a long way.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    not a fan of this idea. and I am a HUGE starbucks person. I just dont think gift cards are very "personal"
    there are SO many great ideas out there -- you could find something much more "you" and for a lot less.
  • I agree. Not a huge fan of gift cards. Have you heard of www.theknot.com ? You may be able to find some really cool ideas on there! Do something unique that not everyone would think of. :)
  • I just got married. We did daisy seed packets with a little sticker that said "love is in the air. flowers are in bloom. thank you for coming. from the bride and groom. it cost $0.43 a person. Daisies were the theme flower of our wedding.

Other fun ideas are -
    a penny and a lotto scratch off. you could put a little card saying you were luckily in love and hopefully you will be luckily in money
    or
    little candy bar with personalized wrappers
    or
    i went to a wedding where the bride made buckeyes and molded chocolate into bones - they were big ohio state & browns fans
    or
    for $6.00 a person - you can order personalized bottles of wine
  • my husband and i got married six years ago and for our wedding my mother-in-law and i too candle vases and glittered them up with the colors of the wedding. and beside them we took little wedding toys and hershey kisses and mints all put them in tool and it looked really nice everyone took them home and my mother-in-law said there was nothing left of them it was very cute and we did the flowers our self.
  • amberlongsine
    I'm on The knot :)

I like the flower ideas :)

But it'll be during winter. Possibly late December as of right now.

I want to do something that goes with cold weather.
  • nokuperus
    nokuperus Posts: 16 Member
    I would shy away from Starbucks cards.. Not everyone cares for Starbucks/Coffee.

another idea would be personalized Mugs - do a basket concept with the hot cocoa.
    Mug + Hot Cocoa + Candy Cane and a pretty ribbon!!

or DIY Snowflakes with candy wrapped inside.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    If you have the money to do that - it's unique to you as a couple so go for it. Less expensive favors are very appropriate also.

Congrats on the wedding!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Whoa, I never GOT anything for attending a wedding. I always leave a gift for the couple! Is this a new thing or did I just happen to go to weddings without this event?
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Congrats on your wedding! How exciting :) I think the $5 gift card is a bit much too, but if you want to incorporate Starbucks into your favors, I had friends that met at a Starbucks and did this:

They got small mason jars, filled them with coffee beans and placed stickers on them with their picture on it saying "The perfect Blend" and "Love is Brewing" and tied ribbons with their wedding colors on them. It was super cute. Everyone loves coffee right? ;)

Good luck with everything!!!
  • If you did 150 cards (200 people minus the 50 kids) you would spend $750 on the gift cards. That doesn't include any tags or any ribbons. If that's in your budget and the cost isn't a factor then that's awesome.

However - initially I thought it would be kind of weird of someone to give me a gift card as a favor. On the other hand- I'd be pretty excited when I really wanted some Starbuck's and realized - hecks yeah I have that gift card! it's your wedding so do what makes you happy (that's my motto!)

You mentioned that your wedding was in the winter so that does fit the theme (warm beverage!). When my best friend got married she gave everyone a giant coffee mug with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows inside. That's probably my favorite wedding favor I have received. The hot chocolate was delicious and that is still my favorite mug. I know she bought them in bulk but I don't know for how much. It's not a super nice mug but it's huge so I love it.

I was thinking about doing spice favors. I found some small almost vials with cork tops and a site that sold spices in bulk. It actually would have been super inexpensive but still something people would use - and something I would personally enjoy too. My mom had a different idea so I'm not doing the spices anymore but I still love the idea.
  • Whoa, I never GOT anything for attending a wedding. I always leave a gift for the couple! Is this a new thing or did I just happen to go to weddings without this event?

Not everyone gives out actual "gifts" like gift cards at their wedding. Something that's really common is the jordan almonds. Did you ever get a little tulle bag with candy coated almonds? That was the wedding favor. It's also more of an American tradition from what I've gathered. It's entirely possible the weddings you went to didn't have favors.
  • sarah44254
    Whoa, I never GOT anything for attending a wedding. I always leave a gift for the couple! Is this a new thing or did I just happen to go to weddings without this event?

Not everyone gives out actual "gifts" like gift cards at their wedding. Something that's really common is the jordan almonds. Did you ever get a little tulle bag with candy coated almonds? That was the wedding favor. It's also more of an American tradition from what I've gathered. It's entirely possible the weddings you went to didn't have favors.

There is food available, maybe that is the 'gift'? I'll accept that :) I never once expected any wedding to be giving away anything at all.
  • google personalized hot chocolate mix - super cute for a winter wedding. plus, its a great gift for the adults and the kids. no need for two different gifts.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    How about a spoon dipped in chocolate? You can use the spoon to stir coffee or hot cocoa and it would add a bit of flavor to the drink. (kids could just eat the chocolate off the spoon). Buy spoons that are silver, gold or something to match dressed, dip and once dry put bags over them. (I think they have them at Michael's) buy a ribbon to match your colors and print out some small cards with your names and date and hole punch them, tie to spoon handle. You could do white chocolate, dark, milk, lots of options. Good luck!
  • sarah44254
    I'm on The knot :)

I like the flower ideas :)

But it'll be during winter. Possibly late December as of right now.

I want to do something that goes with cold weather.

A good friend of mine was married 10 years ago on 12/26. They loved the idea of it and were so excited to have a holiday anniversary. Now they tell me it was the worst idea they've had. They are so stressed during holidays that they never want to do anything special for anniversary, or the other way around. It is just hard to deal with, having so much in such a short time. I just wanted to mention that since you are still not entirely certain of the date. An idea to consider. I'm sure there are many pros to the argument too, but I am not them and can't really say more than they've told me.