Eating 1+g/lb Body Mass is a Myth

Options
Here's a very interesting article, with oodles of scientific studies to back it up (13 different resources) that states that eating 1g/lb of body mass is a myth. There is no added benefit of eating more, even if you are doing serious strength training.

To summarize, it says:

• There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle. This already includes a very safe mark-up. There hasn’t been any recorded advantage of consuming more than 0.64g/lb. The only exceptions to this rule could be individuals with extraordinarily high anabolic hormone levels.
• Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session. The magnitude of this effect is unclear.

If you wish to read the entire thing,

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    That is why using 0.75-1g of LEAN body mass is enough protein .

Unless I am misunderstanding the study
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    That is why using 0.75-1g of LEAN body mass is enough protein .

Unless I am misunderstanding the study

This is how I've always heard it, that it's supposed to be linked to your lean body mass weight only. Never 1g for each pound of total body weight.

So yeah, I'll go ahead and agree with the article without reading it. ;) heheh
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I actually haven't found any so evidence that states whether it is lean body mass or total body mass. This article seems rather legit (7 of the 13 sources are from the last 10 years, most of these were very recent). If I find something that adds more info (lean mass vs body mass), I'll post it as well.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I was expecting a much larger response than this...
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Most of us say 1g/ lb of lean mass. That actually turns out lower than the 0.82g/lb body weight for many. Also, without any detrimental effects of a higher intake, I wouldn't change what was working for me even if I didn't need so much protein. I find it satiating.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I always heard it was 1 gram per lean mass.

But I still eat a butt load of it cause it's delicious.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was expecting a much larger response than this...

oprah.gif
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options
    Here's a very interesting article, with oodles of scientific studies to back it up (13 different resources) that states that eating 1g/lb of body mass is a myth. There is no added benefit of eating more, even if you are doing serious strength training.

To summarize, it says:

• There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle. This already includes a very safe mark-up. There hasn’t been any recorded advantage of consuming more than 0.64g/lb. The only exceptions to this rule could be individuals with extraordinarily high anabolic hormone levels.
    • Optimal protein intake decreases with training age, because your body becomes more efficient at preventing protein breakdown resulting from training and less protein is needed for the increasingly smaller amount of muscle that is built after each training session. The magnitude of this effect is unclear.

If you wish to read the entire thing,

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Yeah there may be no evidence to back it up.... but think about it. If you are a 180lb guy who needs 2100kcal/day to maintain your weight. With a 50/30/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fat. Then that's 157.5g protein a day to maintain your weight.

If you want to put on size, say 1lb per week, that's another 500 kcal equaling 2600 calories. Getting up to 195g of protein per day.

If you workout for an hour and burn, say 500 calories. That's 3100 calories you need a day to gain 1lb per week and workout on those days. So that's 232.5g protein on your workout days.

So while there's no research to back it, people need that much more protein to maintain lean muscle and to grow. Just looking at it from a macronutrient standpoint.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Yeah there may be no evidence to back it up.... but think about it. If you are a 180lb guy who needs 2100kcal/day to maintain your weight. With a 50/30/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fat. Then that's 157.5g protein a day to maintain your weight.

If you want to put on size, say 1lb per week, that's another 500 kcal equaling 2600 calories. Getting up to 195g of protein per day.

If you workout for an hour and burn, say 500 calories. That's 3100 calories you need a day to gain 1lb per week and workout on those days. So that's 232.5g protein on your workout days.

So while there's no research to back it, people need that much more protein to maintain lean muscle and to grow. Just looking at it from a macronutrient standpoint.

A persons energy requirement doesn't have to come from protein though. You eat .82g/lb to give your body the protein supply it needs to synthesize muscle for growth or repair, then you get the energy supply from carbs, fats or more protein. This energy doesn't have to be from more protein.
  • chivalryder
    Options

A persons energy requirement doesn't have to come from protein though. You eat .82g/lb to give your body the protein supply it needs to synthesize muscle for growth or repair, then you get the energy supply from carbs, fats or more protein. This energy doesn't have to be from more protein.

That was basically the entire article's point in a nutshell. Protein is an expensive source for energy. If you're not getting any other benefit from it, why eat more?
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    That was basically the entire article's point in a nutshell. Protein is an expensive source for energy. If you're not getting any other benefit from it, why eat more?
    Because carbs are the devil and fat makes you fat!!!!!!!!
  • Montemuscle1970
    Options
    There's no problem with eating more protein for the extra energy, so long as you're body gets everything else it needs. Just make sure your protein comes from quality sources. Too much meat in a diet has been known to cause toxicity in your digestive tract though.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most of the resources I've read advocate for 1g protein per lb of lean body mass (not total body mass) for optimum muscle retention when losing weight. This puts me at about 85-95g of protein per day. Your calculations of 1.8xkg of total body mass puts me at 99g - sounds about right. I'll continue to aim for 80-100g per day.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Options
    .82g/lb is the max. This is usually reserved for olympic athletes who are training hard. Certain university studies have shown that olympic athletes gained no benefit consuming over .82-.84g/lb of body weight. So using .82g/lb is still higher than the majority of people need, regardless of physical activity.

Unless you're training like an olympian, save yourself the money and get the calories you need from somewhere cheaper.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    .82g/lb is the max. This is usually reserved for olympic athletes who are training hard. Certain university studies have shown that olympic athletes gained no benefit consuming over .82-.84g/lb of body weight. So using .82g/lb is still higher than the majority of people need, regardless of physical activity.

Unless you're training like an olympian, save yourself the money and get the calories you need from somewhere cheaper.
    the numbers were pulled from people of all types, not just olympians.

to the OP, there is a benefit from eating 1g-lbs. less fat and carbs consumed.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just for what it's worth:

I ran this exact info by Alan Aragon and I recall him saying that there are a few studies that menno did not include, and those studies would suggest that intakes above .82g/lb would be beneficial. I'll see if I still have the message from Alan. I looked up one of the 3 to verify back when I first saw this info.

I would refer people to the YouTube video titled The Protein Roundtable with Aragon, Helms, and McCarthy for an in depth and referenced discussion on the recommended intakes and what criteria would raise or lower these.

As it stands, I'm not convinced that .82g/lb is optimal given the exclusion of data.

That being said, I AM going off of memory. If I'm wrong I'll take it back.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Just for what it's worth:

I ran this exact info by Alan Aragon and I recall him saying that there are a few studies that menno did not include, and those studies would suggest that intakes above .82g/lb would be beneficial. I'll see if I still have the message from Alan. I looked up one of the 3 to verify back when I first saw this info.

I would refer people to the YouTube video titled The Protein Roundtable with Aragon, Helms, and McCarthy for an in depth and referenced discussion on the recommended intakes and what criteria would raise or lower these.

As it stands, I'm not convinced that .82g/lb is optimal given the exclusion of data.

That being said, I AM going off of memory. If I'm wrong I'll take it back.

The excluded studies would be interesting to see. Maybe they were excluded because they did not have good sample size or didn't control well for bias and whatnot.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump for later