1200 cals = weight gain?

Options
okay i saw a post about this while searching but i wanted to get answers on my specific problem. im 4'11 and last friday i was 151 and i have been losing about 8 pounds a month eating about 900-1000 cals. i havent been getting headaches or feeling like im missing nutrients i drink shakes, eat veggies and protein/whole grains but i figured 900 is way below what is recommended so i upped it to make sure i dont create a very bad habit of not eating enough nutrients. now this week(today) i weigh in at 153.5...im lifting weights(lat pull down, rowing) and drink about 60floz of water a day and barely eat salt so i doubt its water weight. do i need to see a doctor to find out my right cal intake or should i see what happens next week and not worry? i figure its my body catching up to my new food intake but this is bothering me and i just want some help if possible thank you

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    9jqf4y.gif
  • EastCoast_Girl
    Options
    900-1000 calories is deffinately not enough to eat if you exercise too......if your diary would be open I could have taken a look at it...
  • ebonie101
    ebonie101 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    9jqf4y.gif

oh how i love the people on this website so helpful....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • settledownspazz
    Options
    ive always heard that 1200 is the minimum for women. it might take your body a minute to adjust to your higher calorie intake, but its healthier in the long run
  • ebonie101
    Options
    900-1000 calories is deffinately not enough to eat if you exercise too......if your diary would be open I could have taken a look at it...

it has been working so far but i assumed its enough cause i been losing but i figure its not a good idea to keep this low
  • ebonie101
    Options
    ive always heard that 1200 is the minimum for women. it might take your body a minute to adjust to your higher calorie intake, but its healthier in the long run

i figured this but my mind is still wrapped around me gaining 2 pounds in 6 days lol ._. thanks
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 7000 calories over maintenance?

If you ate 300 more per day for 7 days, that would be 2100 cals. So it is unlikely that if 900 was your maintenance you would have even put on a pound of fat at 1200. I don't buy it. More likely is that upping calories increased carbs which increased water retention.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is that net or total? Since you are short, you might be fine eating that much (assuming you are eating back exercise calores), but I would check with your doctor. You should also probably check with the BMR calculator in the tools section, and use what you are given as the bare minimum of what you should eat.

In any event, some weight gain is common when upping calories. It goes away after several weeks.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

i figured this but my mind is still wrapped around me gaining 2 pounds in 6 days lol ._. thanks

You didn't gain 2 pounds of fat in 6 days. that would require you eating a 7,000 calorie surplus. You said you've been lifting weights. When you do this, your muscles retain water, no matter how much water you are drinking. I'm calling water weight on this.
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    According to ur stats.....

Ur BMR is 1594. Do not eat below that. Do not net over 1626. This will give you a 10% calorie deficit.

It's normal to gain some at first when u first up ur cals..........Give it 2 weeks and u will be losing again.

Im no doc............but it's working for me.....
    Good luck!
  • ebonie101
    Options
    Is that net or total? Since you are short, you might be fine eating that much (assuming you are eating back exercise calores), but I would check with your doctor. You should also probably check with the BMR calculator in the tools section, and use what you are given as the bare minimum of what you should eat.

In any event, some weight gain is common when upping calories. It goes away after several weeks.

im just now finding out about BMR which is sad cause i been on my weight lost journey for a lil while now. according to it i should actually eat 1,375. ignorance is bliss now i need to buy more food lol. thanks for the helpful response
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options

You didn't gain 2 pounds of fat in 6 days. that would require you eating a 7,000 calorie surplus. You said you've been lifting weights. When you do this, your muscles retain water, no matter how much water you are drinking. I'm calling water weight on this.

Agree^^^^^
    Still u need to eat more.
  • ebonie101
    Options

i didnt know this. glad i asked instead of freaking out and only eating watermelon all day. im going to just make sure i dont go below 1200 now. thank you
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    depending on how much your working out you need between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. also if you wegh more you probably are gaining muscle. You will notice a difference in your clothes before your weight. Make sure you get your measurements and see if you lose inches
  • ebonie101
    Options
    Did you eat 7000 calories over maintenance?

If you ate 300 more per day for 7 days, that would be 2100 cals. So it is unlikely that if 900 was your maintenance you would have even put on a pound of fat at 1200. I don't buy it. More likely is that upping calories increased carbs which increased water retention.

what you mean over maintenance?
  • ebonie101
    Options
    depending on how much your working out you need between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. also if you wegh more you probably are gaining muscle. You will notice a difference in your clothes before your weight. Make sure you get your measurements and see if you lose inches

im working out 5 times a week. have 2 fitness classes(boxing and weight training) during the week day and gym so now i know i have to up my cals but i find it really hard eating over 1100.. thanks everybody for the help i learned ALOT
  • Hgdlrd
    Options
    Hi ebonie, I to am 4' 11" and right now I weigh 168, my dr told me yesterday I need 1900 calories a day to lose weight, however if that is too much, he said I could go to 1500 per day. I suggest asking your dr to tell you or go online and figure it out.
  • ebonie101
    Options
    According to ur stats.....

Ur BMR is 1594. Do not eat below that. Do not net over 1626. This will give you a 10% calorie deficit.

It's normal to gain some at first when u first up ur cals..........Give it 2 weeks and u will be losing again.

Im no doc............but it's working for me.....
    Good luck!

my problem is im addicted to checking the scale so these two weeks are going to haunt me lol :( and thanks
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is the amount you need to eat to stay at exactly the same weight i.e.. maintain your current weight.
  • ebonie101
    Options
    Hi ebonie, I to am 4' 11" and right now I weigh 168, my dr told me yesterday I need 1900 calories a day to lose weight, however if that is too much, he said I could go to 1500 per day. I suggest asking your dr to tell you or go online and figure it out.

wow really? is it cause of your height? maybe a visit to my doctor is actually what i need to make sure im in good shape