More calories; Less Carbs!!

Options
Ok, I need help with adding more calories to my diet without adding a lot of carbs and fat. I started this week trying to cut back on carbs and still find myself eating 50grams at least. Which I'm fine with, but my calorie count has drastically reduced. I want to lose weight, not gain it, and I know my body will go into starvation mode if I don't up the calories. So, I'm asking for any ideas/suggestions on increasing my calorie count to at least 1200 a day without really increasing the carbs and fat. Thanks in advance for your help. :smile:

Replies

• SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes might help. I use GNC total lean which has 170 cal, 6 g fat, 6 g carb and 25gprotein
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do "low carb" (I prefer to think of it as "adequate carb") properly then you need to increase the dietary fat.

In the absence of excess carbohydrate dietary fat will not make you fat or harm the heart.

My plan is at least 65% fat by calories ... animal fats, heavy cream, raw nuts, coconut oil, eggs ... all good stuff.

It requires a bit of a leap of faith having had the deeply flawed 'fat is bad' message rammed down our throats for so long.
  • lelahka
    Options
    You could just stuff yourself with foods that are low carb AND low calorie, like meats and cheeses. You can eat a lot to up your calories but they don't add up to bad in carbs. Another option would be something like Atkins. They're a little higher in calorie, but their net carbs are super low.
  • MissMiaP
    MissMiaP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to try and incorporate all of your ideas. I lost 4.2lbs the week I cut down on my carb intake, and I felt great!!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Almonds, string cheese, cooking with olive oil, eggs, any type of nut, and even peanut butter doesn't have many carbs. I eat almost all of these daily!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    meat like chicken has been my saving Grace. Im trying to less carb and add protein and this has been the best option by far :)