960 calories and I feet great

Ok, so I just ate only 960 calories, INCLUDING EXERCISE and I feel great. I know today is my first day, but I know my body. When I tryed a crash diet consisting of only drinking protein shakes twice a day and a slim fast bar, with NO SNACKS, i had mad headaches. But today I feel so good, and I hope it stays this way until I reach my goal weight.

Replies

• slpsparklette
    slpsparklette Posts: 9 Member
    Keep up the good work! I have finally learned to enjoy my food instead of inhaling it! You'll love the changes you're making!!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Self control is a wonderful thing...maybe a few hundred more calories though.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 478 Member
    Awesome!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    lets pray u stay energized on that many calories
  • luv2hate
    luv2hate Posts: 38 Member
    I only consumed 960 calories, and I feel good. Im obese so I dont think it will hurt plus I know my body and if Im hungry or know I need to eat I get intense headaches, which I had none today so thats good. I feel great and I am going to up it to at least 1200, but if Im not hungry Im not gonna force feed myself u know
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Yes, once in a while won't hurt, but try not to make it a habit. And sometimes you should eat when you aren't hungry, to get your nutrients in. Glad you are loving how you are feeling though! What kind of a target does MFP give you? When you are heavier, I think that it can be an awesome way to get both worlds--eat lower calories (but enough--960 is usually not enough) on days when you can and eat at target the days you can't. You'll feel like you got a treat on the days you eat up to target and get a little extra deficit days you don't need target.

*Warning: Someone will connect your title typo to your low intake, and you will probably get upset with a lot of the comments you'll get on this thread. Try not to let it get to you too much. :)
  • bynonmurrayc
    bynonmurrayc Posts: 37 Member
    Good job! I think you're doing it right! Here's my advice to you:

Your body will go into "starvation mode" if you starve yourself significantly, or if you don't eat at the right times (e.g always eat breakfast even if it's just a couple almonds!). To be honest, I've gone through stages when I've eaten very few calories, and i never notice an adverse affect... I think the whole "starvation mode" concept really relates to people who consistently eat very, very little. The consistency is what sends a message to your body to go into starvation mode.

In fact, one of my girlfriends whose overweight asked her doctor about how to effectively loose weight and she said that you can essentially "trick" your body by eating very few calories one day, then a normal amount the next day, then very little the next day, and so on and so forth.

I would say try to stay around 1000 before taking into account your exercise and if you go drastically low one day, try to up your intake the next. Especially if you're making a deficit out of exercise, which it appears you are. As long as you don't make it a pattern, your body's metabolic rate shouldn't change.

Hope this helps! :)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Have you thought about when you stop eating 960 calories ? That's the question you need to ask yourself. If you never learn the self control to eat normal foods then you'll gain the weight back when you hit your target and be back in the same spot. The easy way out isn't the best way. Hard work is the only way too do it.
  • You've come a long way from protein shakes and slim fast bars so congratulations!!
    Having said that, 960 is not enough. Really try to eat all of your calories MFP allows you. Eating back your exercise calories is debatable but at the very least eat all of the calories MFP gives you for the day. I can understand it's a hard transition from where you were to where you are but keep tweaking it so you can keep it going for LIFE!

:flowerforyou:
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    You're receiving sound and healthy advice. Obese or not, your body requires a certain amount of calories to just function. Not just be able to do a bike ride kind of function, but heart beating, blood flowing, lungs pumping kind of function. I'm not saying you'll drop dead if you do a crash diet... but you can be doing more harm than good.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    You need to eat a bit more. Really. Your body needs fuel...especially when you're losing. Did you hurt yourself today? Of course not. But over time, this isn't healthy. Or sustainable. Read the MFP FAQs...or any of the threads about this issue. People are giving you good advice about this, please take it heart, in the generous spirit its been offered with. Good LUCK! You CAN do this!
  • Yay for taking charge of your eating, that's wonderful! But to be very honest you need to eat more going forward. I used to eat 800-900 calories every day and felt fine...but then my hair started to fall out. Very true story it was awful! Now I eat about 1500 and am still losing about a pound a week. One day won't hurt you, but over time it will catch up with you and trust me it sucks having to reset your body after something like that. I know it goes against everything that we're taught but sometimes eating just a little bit more will help you lose more in the long run and you'll feel a lot better too :)
  • luv2hate
    luv2hate Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks everybody I will definitely not try to eat this low today, ill just chalk it up as one of dem days, and eat more tomorrow. Love yall and if you havent added me already, ADD ME