Want to give up sugar with me?

Options
Hello My Fitness Pals,

I am going to give up sugar until January 15th. Is anyone else interested in giving up sweets with me? I know it sounds crazy with the holidays coming up, but I plan to get down 6 lbs by January 15th (vacation) and I can't afford to binge on holidays sweets. There are so many social engagements and it's just easier for me to tell people that I have stopped eating sugar (some people really force desserts on you!) I'm not the type of person who can just have sweets in moderation - I go crazy!

Check out an excerpt from an article written by Adam Khan. I'm not on a low carb diet, but I think cutting out sugar will definitely help!

"WHEN YOU EAT CARBOHYDRATES (carbs), your body releases insulin into your blood stream. The insulin tells your cells what to do. It tells most cells to absorb the sugar out of the blood and tells your fat cells not to release any fat to burn (because there are carbs already in the blood to burn).

One of insulin's jobs is to take sugar out of the blood — the sooner the better, because sugar in the blood damages the body. The reason diabetics have such bad health problems (blindness, circulation problems, etc.) is because of the damage sugar does when the person can't make enough insulin.

When you eat something with a lot of sugar in it, the body kind of panics and usually overdoes it. Too much insulin is released to mop up the sugar. It takes all the sugar out of your blood. Then your blood sugar is too low, so you crave more sweets.

So insulin saved the day, keeping that sugar from damaging your body, but in the process, it makes your body store fat and prevents you from burning fat."

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    No. LOL ;) But I TOTALLY respect that you are doing it! Good luck and enjoy that vacation (by the way - if you don't make your weight, don't let that affect your vacation fun in any way!!!)
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Want to? Yes.
    Will I? Probably not. :tongue: I'm terrible at 'giving things up'

Good luck though :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Marla64 Started a thread called No Sweets till Christmas. I gave up table sugar on Dec first and have only slipped 3 times.
    Good Luck!
  • AidaR
    AidaR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Skinny100 I'm in :smile:
    I've gone for over a week now without any sweets and its been a challange since i get all kinds of goodies from vednors and customers at work but i think i can do it if i surivided a week. I dont crave for it anymore and i can walk by thing of cookies without wanting some...
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Natural sugar is ok, right? I.e Fruit. I would be willing to give it a shot. I say this while eating a mint- pure sugar.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I will give up sugar. Sugar is my biggest weakness in food. I can handle just about anything else, but you put dessert in front of me and I will eat it.
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I will give up sugar. Sugar is my biggest weakness in food. I can handle just about anything else, but you put dessert in front of me and I will eat it.
    I am right there with you. Baked goods are the hardest for me.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I am going to give it a try starting tommorrow ( I want one last bowl of ice cream before I do):blushing:
    I have not been doing good passing up all the sweets around the office that vendors have brought us for the holidays.
  • Najila
    Najila Posts: 18
    Options
    Know what? Count me IN. I am a sugar addict out of control. I've been trying to lose some weight but every time I have a good day, I follow it with a binge day. Binge on sugar, that is. It's driving me crazy!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Ok I did not do good over Christmas break but I want to start again today and stick with it this time. I hope yall are doing better than I did.