How would you log this?

Options
Hey everyone,
I recently took on a job as a housekeeper at a pretty busy hotel. While there is some down time, most of my time is spent doing house keeping things. I work outdoors as well, so I'm always working up a sweat ( I live in Nevada!) I have my journal set to lightly active to account for some of the down time (2-4 hours in the afternoons, depending on how many rooms I have) I also head to the gym after work and I'm doing a walking to running program as well as some weight training.

Should I log my work? Should I just log my work outs?

Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump.

I'm sure SOMEONE has an opinion ;)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If you are sweating....I would log it for sure!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i would log it , house cleaning burns a lot of calories. I log when i;m cleaning doing laundry ,making beds, mopping. its a real work out.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would just change my activity level to "Active" and log my exercise.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would say get a heart rate monitor and try tracking a few days at work but not when your resting. Try leaving your setting to lightly active so you're not under eating and just try not to eat your exercise cals back too much if you do extra workouts other then your job. if that doesnt work then you can try changing your activity level and logging your cleaning as an exercise.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Don't ya hate that? When no one answers for a long time.

I would bump up your activity level to moderately active and then log your workouts.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

also my opinion ^
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options

also my opinion ^

agreed, or get a fitbit
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would adjust the general setting from sedentary to whichever best fits and then leave it as that and only log actual workouts.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd bump up your activity level to account for your work, it's much simpler this way.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I also do a lot of walking and cleaning at work and I have my setting at the lowest activity setting then I log about 1/3 to 1/2 of my walking and working time as exercise time.It seems to work well for me. I don't always have time or energy to do any other working out with being a single Mom to 2 boys.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Either active + workouts or sedentary + cleaning + workouts. The second option might be a touch more accurate because you can tune it to the number of hours you work that day. Make sure you subtract Plenty of time for bathroom breaks, standing around, lunch, or anything else that wouldn't actually be "cleaning, light" or "cleaning, moderate".
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Leave it as is. If you start losing weight too quickly, feel like you are starving, or stop losing weight all together, then adjust it. If you aren't losing weight at all, try dropping your activity level to re-adjust your calories.
  • Cookme1
    Options
    There should be three different levels of cleaning in the data base. If not try and google calories burned while cleaning.Good luck.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't know how others will answer, but I think my daughter has the same problem. She works at the postal distribution plant, on her feet and rushing around the whole shift. She is at or over 300 lbs and is upset she keeps gaining. My theory is to not count work, but count your exercise. With that said, I've always worked a sedentary job. It's going to be a mixture of exercise, calories eaten and water. I used to use the stairs more at work, but never counted it. Also, I believe it's also about exercising for a certain amount of time where your heart rate is kept up. Others might be able to more on this info.

Good luck.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i would leave my activity level as it is and only log my workouts. this is somewhat similar to my situation. i work on cars and do light exercises (push ups, sit ups, dips etc.) throughout the day. my activity level is set to active and i only log exercise when i go to the gym or play sports.
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thefitgirls.com/calories-burned-calculator.aspx You an calculate your calories burnt here and add them to MFP. That's what I do seeing as MFP doesn't have landscaping, painting or window washing.