Question for those of u with much fitness knowledge! (my wor

Options
So im gettin ready to start a hardcore work out regimine... i been unconsitantly working out for the past few months and im not seeint much results...especially with my yo yo dieting which i know thats a big issue as well. I just wanted to run my work out plan by you guys to see how u think it sounds...and whether i need to add anything or change it around. A lil back ground for you, i have 2 kids, before i had them i was TINY, i have been in great shape my whole life, i was a cheerleader and dancer so i was always extremely active and having kids and getting older has done a number to my metabolism becuz in the past few years i have managed to gain 50 + lbs. So thats about what i am looking to lose. Id like to be about 17-19% body fat...maybe less eventually (i tend to be a perfectionist with my body...who doesnt tho) but i will reevaluate once i reach my goal. Im looking to burn alot of fat around my stomach and legs...all over of course but thats where i have alot of weight. I really dont need to build alot of muscle becuz i have quite a bit now.
So here is my plan:
5 days of pilates
5 days of 60 min of cardio (spinning, dancing, aerobics)
2 days of 60 minute full body weight training light weight very high reps (3 days in between sessions)
and 2 days of 60 min of yoga.
after christmas i want to throw in two 30 minute running/jogging days as well (im getting some new jogging shoes for christmas)

Replies

• inadelirium
    Options
    Hi although I don't have any credentials to back up my advice here... I'll tell you that I've managed to maintain a 30lb weight loss over the last 5+ years.

I think your plan is very ambitious, and can be done. I would recommend having at least 1 real rest day given the workout you've put for yourself. I also would see that you got your body fat % checked, even though you have muscle already doing weight training 3-4 days a week will help you shed fat via muscle growth.

Ideally to reinforce all your hard work you should be eating as clean as you can (i.e. non processed, low sodium, low fat, etc.).

A magazine you might want to pick up to help with your goals is Oxygen (women's weight lifting magazine) not body building by any means!

Hope that helps some! :flowerforyou:
  • klebedev
    Options
    Depending on your current level of exercise, I would recommend adding a couple workout hours per week rather than all at once. This should help reduce the chance of getting injured (and then having to not exercise at all for a while). As a person who used to be very active (dance) but has recently gained some weight I can sympathize, but my initial approach of suddenly starting daily cardio and strength training resulted in a stress fracture. Starting from schratch and working my bone strength up gradually has been much more effective in the long run.
  • rachale83
    Options
    You sound like you're very motivated and your heart is in the right place to finalize your weight loss goal. I'm an exercise physiologist and have a couple of pointers for you. I believe the previous poster also agreed that you may try adding a couple hours per week of exercise before overloading your body. This can not only lead to injuries and stress fractures, but can also cause exhaustion (especially if you're yo-yo dieting) and you could be setting yourself up for failure...causing the viscious downward spiral.

If you are getting the proper nutrition to energize your way through these workouts and you're already active, you should be good to go. However, I tell many of my active and ambitious clients to aim for doing strength and cardio 3x/week and whatever else can be fit in is extra credit. If you are eating well balanced meals and hitting the gym, then you will lose weight...without the yo-yo effects. 1-2 lbs/week is a healthy rate to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    anyone have any suggestions on how it should be different?
  • wks7777
    wks7777 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks yall, yeah i have been working out about 4 times week for months now. Pilates 2x a week, ST 2-3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week and i havent seen any results, so i figure i needed to take it up a notch and shock my body. I am eating clean in addition to working out.