Baked mac and cheese

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I just made this tonight, and it was sooooo good! I used fat free cheese so the cals were a bit lower. I also didn't have whole wheat bread crumbs, so just used regular panko bread crumbs. I also used Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta because I just don't do whole wheat pasta. Next time I might "bulk" it up with something, maybe some chicken or broccoli.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/healthy-mac-n-cheese/?page=2

Mac and Cheese Lite

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
Salt
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (see "Rocco's Secret Weapon," below)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.

Nutrition facts per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber
Healthy Cooking Tips

Flour Power: Whole wheat macaroni keeps you satisfied longer, says award-winning chef Rocco DiSpirito.

Better Cheddar: Low-fat cheese can still be ooey-gooey and delicious. Try Cabot's 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar.

Crunch Time: Panko is the perfect topping. "These Japanese bread crumbs stay crispy, no matter what," DiSpirito says.

Culture Club: Nonfat Greek yogurt gives the rich, creamy texture of butter and cream minus the fat.

Rocco's Secret Weapon

Bechamel sauce (a mixture of milk, butter, and flour) plays a starring role in traditional mac and cheese recipes. DiSpirito uses this aromatic blend of onion and garlic to build flavor and texture without fat (makes 1 cup).

Step 1
Combine 1 large Vidalia onion, 9 garlic cloves (roughly chopped), and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.

Step 2
Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high 10 minutes.

Step 3
Pour the mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. (Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 72 hours.)

Replies