Diary/ Exercise Help please - something is not working.

Options
2»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low! You should raise your calories. Also you're doing a lot of cardio and only light weights. Ease up on the cardio and try some heavy lifting (heavy lifting for you).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Aaaah - I see.

Gosh, I really do need to start rethinking what I am doing.

I finish shred this week and was going on the p90x - I don't want to do the whole program (yet), but would that qualify at HIIT or leg cardio? Or would leg cardio be my running.

I really appreciate your input here - I am a 'newbie' in the grand scheme and am learning!

If you enjoy the running as an exercise, many do, use that for your aerobic cardio day after upper body lifting. And for the HIIT.
    If running was just a cardio thing to do because you felt some cardio needed to be done, do lower body lifting again instead of HIIT. Leave the aerobic cardio day to something you enjoy, perhaps more.

P90X is meant to be done as main program, if you really want to do it, skip everything else except horse and walking day, and rest day.
    Trying to do it one one day only may not work out well. It could focus on upper body the day after you already lifted upper body, which means you get no repair from day before, and can't push as hard as you should on the program.

Depending on the muscles used, it is lifting or almost HIIT, so hard to fit in with other stuff and have it all work out well.

You've heard the phrase - jack of all trades, master of none.
  • sharlin_e
    sharlin_e Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, such great and intelligent advice on here!

I was trying to lose about 5-10kg last year to attend a wedding, a did so by eating 1200cals, alternating running with weights and didn't eat back my exercise calories because I thought it was all about creating the biggest calorie deficit possible. The first few weeks I saw big improvement, then after that I plateued quickly and it took months to drop anymore weight and tone up.

Once I had reached my goal, i thought it was time to celebrate and party and I put all the weight back on. Even with decent exercise and eating 1200 cals again I wasn't able to lose much, but after reading this I'm going to start eating back my exercise calories and focus on a smaller deficit. It's logical, but really helpful so thanks everyone. Given me a great boost of motivation :)