My ice cream maker arrived today! Healthy ice cream thread!

Options
DesertRains
DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
My ice cream maker got here today! Yay! Here is what I made for an after-dinner dessert:

1 container (5 oz) Voskos 0% Wild Blueberry greek yogurt (120 cals)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (60 cals)
2 tbsp jello sugar free/fat free white chocolate instant pudding (the powder, not the ready-made pudding) (50 cals)

Blended all of the above together, put it in the ice cream maker, waited 30 minutes - OMG heaven! Made two giant bowls of frozen goodness for 115 cals per bowl!

Anyone else have an ice cream maker? Any recipes?

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've made frozen greek yogurt before and low carb coffee ice cream in mine. I'll have to dig up some recipes!
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! What brand of ice cream maker did you buy?
  • sionnain
    Options
    i second the greek yoghurt thing. chocolatecoveredkatie.com has some recipes.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You mean you can make HEALTHY stuff in them??? I'll have to try some healthy recipes. The recipes I have and LOVE would get me banned from MFP for life.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my weakness! I will have to try it!
  • DesertRains
    Options
    That sounds great! What brand of ice cream maker did you buy?

This one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Electrics-ICMP-400BLUE-4-Quart-Electric/dp/B003FA830G/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1346992205&sr=1-5

Inexpensive, but it worked GREAT! Shipping was free (I also got a spiral slicer to make zucchini into pasta) and I love both gadgets.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I made regular ice cream, substituted the cream with tofu, you can also use egg whites mixed with banana to sub for cream
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    a guy I went to school with would make some kind of coconut ice cream, actually made with coconut milk intstead of dairy....I'm on dairy restriction :( It was really tasty!
  • sivankeren
    sivankeren Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump; I'm hoping to get one soon
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    GAH!! See this is a sign. I found a brand new ice cream maker at the thrift store today for 9.00!!! But I didn't get it because I thought to myself how unhealthy ice cream is. Shoulda got it!!!! DARNIT!!!!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never thought about makin my own ice cream! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Sorry I don't have any recipes :)
  • laurie571
    Options
    Wow! I never thought about makin my own ice cream! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Sorry I don't have any recipes :)
    They usually come with a recipe book.
  • DesertRains
    Options
    GAH!! See this is a sign. I found a brand new ice cream maker at the thrift store today for 9.00!!! But I didn't get it because I thought to myself how unhealthy ice cream is. Shoulda got it!!!! DARNIT!!!!

Go back! Go back! this thing is seriously going to save my weightloss.
  • DesertRains
    Options

It came with one. The recipes do not look MFP friendly - yummy, yes, but way over my allowances!
  • laurie571
    Options

It came with one. The recipes do not look MFP friendly - yummy, yes, but way over my allowances!
    yeah mine werent MFP friendly either.. so then i was looking for heavy cream subs... that helped alot
  • DesertRains
    Options
    Here is tonight's creation (all the pumpkin threads made me want to try something pumpkin!)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt

2 tbsp jello sugar free cheesecake pudding (the powder, not the prepared pudding!) (50 cals)
    1 5oz container of fat free honey greek yogurt (130 cals)
    1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin (20 cals)
    1 packet of splenda
    1 generous shake of cinnamon

Put everything in a bowl, whisk until combined. Put in the ice cream maker, wait 30 mins (how long it took for me). Eat and feel like you are cheating! The entire batch is 260 cals, I split in two, so 130 cals for a bowl full!

(I guesstimate it turned out to about 4 cups total/2 cups per bowl after the expansion while freezing)

So. freaking. good.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Here is tonight's creation (all the pumpkin threads made me want to try something pumpkin!)

Pumpkin Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt

2 tbsp jello sugar free cheesecake pudding (the powder, not the prepared pudding!) (50 cals)
    1 5oz container of fat free honey greek yogurt (130 cals)
    1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin (20 cals)
    1 packet of splenda
    1 generous shake of cinnamon

Put everything in a bowl, whisk until combined. Put in the ice cream maker, wait 30 mins (how long it took for me). Eat and feel like you are cheating! The entire batch is 260 cals, I split in two, so 130 cals for a bowl full!

(I guesstimate it turned out to about 4 cups total/2 cups per bowl after the expansion while freezing)

So. freaking. good.

Oh my gosh taht sounds absolutely delicious! I've been wanting to get an ice cream maker since I saw someone post about making homemade ice cream with almond milk! My husband would be in heaven if I made this for him, he LOVES all things pumpkin!!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    There is a yummy photo of this recipe at link below...it was on the message board a couple of days ago.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/721088-4-ingredient-pumpkin-frozen-yogurt?hl=pumpkin+frozen+yogurt

PUMPKIN FROZEN YOGURT
    1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, strained
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl until completely combined. Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for a few minutes until it is a smooth, cool consistency. Alternatively, place the bowl in the freezer and stir mixture every half hour until it reaches desired consistency.
  • idnkt
    idnkt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    is it just regular ice cream maker?