Can only jog 3 minutes, is that horrible?

Options

Replies

• freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did a beginners running course. We ran 1 minute, walked 1.5 mins for 30 mins. Those at the front kept lopping round to the back so eevryone was leading at some point. We then had to do that 3 times a week our homework. The next week we ran 3 mins walked 2 for 30 mins then each week slowly increased it.
    Celebrate that you have started and just slowly increase running time but the main thing is enjoy it if you do not you will not keep it up.
  • kat191
    Options
    you can do both jogging and walking I manage 10 mins on the treadmill i walk for 2 then run for one it really helps and pushes you more each time because you wanna improve and go for longer each time :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising, I could only do 2 minutes on the treadmill. A year later I completed my first marathon and I was NEVER a runner at all. I always had to walk my miles in PE due to my asthma. I promise if you keep at it and don't give up it will get better . . . notice I didn't say "easier." If exercise is "easy" then you need to push harder.

The best thing you can do is intervals. You can start at 30 seconds, even. Walk for 1 min and then jog for 30 sec. Repeat. You will be amazed at the results you get. Don't do it longer than 15-20minutes total and no more than 2-3 times per week. If you want to do cardio on the other days just do walking or low impact. Here are some HIIT workouts for the treadmill: http://walking.about.com/od/treadmillworkouts/a/treadmillhiit.htm *If you are unsure about being at a fitness level where you are comfortable doing them . . . just give yourself some time and gradually work towards it.*

If you don't have a treadmill at home, you can time yourself on a stop watch or kitchen timer doing it in place or around the kitchen. You can also use the same concept for exercises like squats, lunges, up-downs, push-ups, sit-ups, planks, jumping jacks, etc. and none of those require equipment.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    run for 3mins then walk, then run for another 3mins, then walk, etc etc, soon you'll increase your running and need less walking.

at a later point you will need to push yourself somewhat. i can run 90mins on a soccer field, but running on a treadmill takes some mind power!!! I want to stop after 3mins too!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the couch to 5k program :)

http://www.c25k.com/

^^^This.....I did this and it works. It is a 9 week training program but it may take you longer as you may need to repeat some weeks but most importantly do it at your own pace. I started it in Feb this year and did my first 5km in May and I've just done 10km. Considering a half marathon next year.
    Good luck - and remember....baby steps!! x
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This is fine, completely normal when you are first starting jogging. Try running one minute then walking a minute and repeat a few tim es. Alternatively walk more to start with to get you fitness up. you can't rush these thing, it happens gradually but you will see an improvement if you stick at it!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 42.5, thats a lot. While I applaud your motivation, but you could be doing serious damage to your joints (not just now, but future arthritis, & early joint replacements in your future). Why is the worry about a joint replacement important? Because they only may last 10 years, & revisions dont work so well. That means after the replacement is shot, you are looking at a wheelchair for the rest of your life possibly (ie: a joint replacement at 45 or 50, means at 60 you may be in a wheelchair. The average lifespan in the USA is 78 for a female. That means you are looking at 18 years of a wheelchair potentially). These are generalities, but something serious to consider.

I would say, do not jog or run. Walk. Walk or nonweight bearing exercise (bicycle, swimming, or elliptical), until your BMI is at least in the "overweight" range.

Most important, take your motivation to your physician, & get the go-ahead for which exercise & how much, how long to do it.

Also, get a heart rate monitor & use it to moitor your calories burned during exercise. They are cheap at walmart.

Keep in mind too, that exercise is only 10% of weight loss,the other 90% is how many calories you are eating, so use Myfitnesspal for that. Ask your doctor, how many calories in 24 hours you should be eating.

From a person with a hip replacement. HTH

This scares me!!! I wonder if I should start walking instead of running now. Anyone else with joint/bone probs from running while in the obese range?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice to watch joints and listen to your body. You can get further than you think with moderate walking, and, do it for years to come. Save jogging for later, by then you'll have built up a capacity.

(Yes, have had injuries, spent a total of 4 months on and off the bed. Hugely demotivating.)

I know it's hard to take it easy when everything tells you to go for it, and you're ready. But it's really best.
  • TrekkieChic
    TrekkieChic Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Seems like you and I started at around the same place, if anything, you started off better than I did!!

I started at 5' nothing and 224lb... And could only jog for 15 seconds. Every time my trainer made me run I thought I was going to die. Right now we're not doing long runs, we're focussing on intervals, but the last time I ran I went for 17 minutes non stop!!

Keep your focus and you'll be able to do it.
    Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 42.5, thats a lot. While I applaud your motivation, but you could be doing serious damage to your joints (not just now, but future arthritis, & early joint replacements in your future). Why is the worry about a joint replacement important? Because they only may last 10 years, & revisions dont work so well. That means after the replacement is shot, you are looking at a wheelchair for the rest of your life possibly (ie: a joint replacement at 45 or 50, means at 60 you may be in a wheelchair. The average lifespan in the USA is 78 for a female. That means you are looking at 18 years of a wheelchair potentially). These are generalities, but something serious to consider.

I would say, do not jog or run. Walk. Walk or nonweight bearing exercise (bicycle, swimming, or elliptical), until your BMI is at least in the "overweight" range.

Most important, take your motivation to your physician, & get the go-ahead for which exercise & how much, how long to do it.

Also, get a heart rate monitor & use it to moitor your calories burned during exercise. They are cheap at walmart.

Keep in mind too, that exercise is only 10% of weight loss,the other 90% is how many calories you are eating, so use Myfitnesspal for that. Ask your doctor, how many calories in 24 hours you should be eating.

From a person with a hip replacement. HTH

This scares me!!! I wonder if I should start walking instead of running now. Anyone else with joint/bone probs from running while in the obese range?

I started out in the obese range. Hell, who am I kidding, I'm STILL in the obese range.

I only started 100 days ago, but so far no joint/bone problems. If anything, running makes me feel sooooo much fitter and healthier. I HATED running when I started (still do, in fact) but now I love being able to race my colleagues up a flight of stairs or tease my baby brother and run away. It's an awesome feeling. Oh, and I LOVE the way my legs look in a short skirt! They didn't look bad before, but now they look even better!

I guess one has to weigh up the consequences of prolonging one's obesity versus the potential to develop joint problems and make that decision. I chose what I feel was the right decision for me, others may feel differently.
  • Bus2012
    Bus2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That was me although I don't think i lasted 3 minutes! I signed up to take part in the London Marathon and my first 'run' was awful and demoralising but i tried again... and again ...........and again! Walk a bit run a bit, mark a spot and aim to run to it or run for a certain amount of steps or a certain amount of time.

I built up slowly and am very proud to say I completed the London Marathon and raised over £2000 for charity. Did i run it all? Hell no! Running isn't natural for me but I ran and walked all the way and it was amazing!

Stick at it and good luck.
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    3 min is way!!! better than I can do!!! I am giving it another week then I will start the jogging part. I plan on doing my first 5k in the spring. Great Job and way to go!!! you did it!!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    When I started, I could barely walk for 3 minutes lol, seriously I am very unfit and started the C25K programme, it is really good, though reading past comments, I am wondering if I am pushing myself too much? lol. Go at your own pace, you are doing great!
  • bonzhai10
    Options
    you can do it! I was like that before until I decided to run half marathon which is 13.1 miles. It was really hard at first but you have to do it gradually until such time that you are able to reach your goals. I never thought that I can run the marathon (I finished it for 3 hours and 30 mins....hahaha! but hey! what is important that I finished it without collapsing!). If anyone is interested in doing the marathon, try to google Hal Higdon marathon training for newbies if you want to self train. Goodluck!
  • bonzhai10
    Options
    Have a look at the couch to 5k program :)

http://www.c25k.com/

^^^This.....I did this and it works. It is a 9 week training program but it may take you longer as you may need to repeat some weeks but most importantly do it at your own pace. I started it in Feb this year and did my first 5km in May and I've just done 10km. Considering a half marathon next year.
    Good luck - and remember....baby steps!! x

goodluck on your marathon! I am excited for you. So far, I have done 2 half marathons already. You don't have to run all the time. I walk and run..plus potty breaks :)
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I walk about 40 miles a week, often more. I can jog for about 30 seconds max.

I am determined to get better. But 3 minutes is a hell of a long time :)
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program. It will help you start slow between walking & jogging & build up over the fours of many weeks (week 1 alternates between sets of 60 seconds jogging & maybe 2 minutes walking). It has helped me build endurance.
  • stacdjen
    stacdjen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started out walking 3 minutes and running 2 minutes. And at the jog speed I was going MFP conisidered it a fast walk. :) I did that until it felt like it was getting easy and then I raised the speed. Once that stage was done I then flipped it and now I walk 2 minutes and jog the 3. I've been doing that for awhile now with not much change just added some other exercises and some time. It gives me a great workout. Take it slow- no need to rush. You are doing great!!
  • mseneschal
    Options
    3 minutes is better than 2 minutes... or nothing at all. You've gone 3-minutes better than me. So there's that.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you can get in the pool that would be awesome too!! Low impact water aerobics or swimming get the metabolism going and will be easier on your joints.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I am going to look into the C25K and also look on youtube for some videos I can follow. I was terribly disheartened yesterday after only being able to go 3 minutes, but you are all right. 3 minutes is way more than the person (me 2 days ago lol) sitting on the couch instead of getting up.
    When I was younger, I always loved walking and running. I would come up with excuses to disappear for a couple hours just so I could walk and listen to some good music on my walkman (yeah...was a while ago. No MP3 players or iPods)
    I want to do this because my kids are getting lazy. They won't go out and get active for anything short of a bribe of candy or something and I hate it. I don't want them ending up in my shoes, and I think the best way to get them out there is if I get out there and show them it's something FUN.

Anyway, thanks again, so much. Your motivation has really boosted my spirits and reinforced my desire to get healthy!