Is it ever to late to eat?

Options
I have heard from several people that eating after 6pm is bad. What do you guys think about that? Do you have a bed time for food?

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If I'm still awake I eat. I always save most of my cals for late at night its when I'm hungriest
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I prefer to not eat past 8 or 9 but if I am still well below my calories I will eat a high calorie snack. I think 6pm is unrealistic personally.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Only if you run out of calories or eating late disturbs your sleep. Otherwise, eat whenever you like as long as you stay within your macro and calorie goals.
  • damndeedee
    damndeedee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that a few hours before you sleep is fine. My bedtime is around 1 so I usually eat up until 11. It doesn't seem to be causing any problems with my weight loss. :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you're still awake you can eat. You can also eat when you're asleep as well, but that's not for everybody.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Total myth unless it disturbs yor sleep. You can eat anytime before you actually sleep and it will not impact weight loss, all other things being equal.
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks everyone. BTW I eat dinner at 7pm every night lol
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i find that not eating after 5pm makes a HUGE difference for me, personally. even if i go over my calories for the day, if i don't eat after 5, i still lose weight. sometimes it's difficult (because i'm a serious night owl, and a formerly habitual late-night eater), but for some reason, it works for me! of course there are times when i eat after 5pm but for the most part, i try to stick to it. give it a try and see if it makes a difference! i've lost 10 lbs so far (only 3 on mfp)...and i really think a lot of it has to do with eliminating my late-night eating.
  • kat191
    Options
    I've been having really big breakfast and lunch so that way I wont have a huge dinner and i still have plenty of calories left :D
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I can't go to sleep hungry. So on the occasional late night hungers, I have a few things handy to snack andthen go to sleep. One of my favorites is a handful of frosted mini wheats and a small Dixie cup of milk. Eat the mini wheats first then each down with a small amount of milk and that's enough to get me to morning. I use the majority of calories for dinner and a snack about 8pm, but I refuse to go whole hog and eat a lot later. :drinker:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Wait till after midnight, then its early and there will be no problems.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have heard from several people that eating after 6pm is bad. What do you guys think about that? Do you have a bed time for food?

im sitting here at just before 11 at nt and grubbin my snack!... and within my daily calories.. so nope not"bad" i have my calorie allowance... so who cares what time?.. I dont even have dinner half the time till after 8!! cuz i go to the gym and kill it at zumba or weights or something.. so of course imma eat after that...
  • teleahwallace
    Options
    its kinder to your digestive system.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just don't feed them after midnight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Banana and almonds right NOW. I'll be up for another 30 minutes. Same routine every night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Food is in your stomach for 2-3 hours, your illium for 2-3 hours and duodenum for upto 72. Why would a few hours after 6pm have ANY effect?

The statement makes no survival sense? Why would eating after 6/7pm be bad?!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat whenever you want.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in vs calories out, not meal timing.
  • elinakalna
    Options
    You shouldn't have a big meal after 6 pm if you are going to bed at 8 pm. If you stay up untill 2 am then there is nothing wrong with a big dinner around 10 pm. Going to bed straight after big meal (not talking about light snaks) can disturb sleep.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have a big meal after 6 pm if you are going to bed at 8 pm. If you stay up untill 2 am then there is nothing wrong with a big dinner around 10 pm. Going to bed straight after big meal (not talking about light snaks) can disturb sleep.

Food generally helps people sleep.