cycling question if anyone can help

Options
Hi ive recently taken up cycling with a trailer on the back for my 19 month old!! and was wondering if cycling tones up ur stomach muscles and ur arms and legs!! (sorry question mark button broken lol) also in the past 2 days ive managed to cycle 11miles and yet ive woke up and nothing hurts does that mean im not putting in enough effort!! although i did push myself untill my legs could do no more!!! pls help, much appreciated!! :blushing: :happy:

Replies

• significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Legs, definitely. Arms, no. Stomach: it might depend on your form. For me, yes, definitely, but I'm told I ride in the wrong gear and spend too much time standing or pushing the pedals where I should aim to spin them.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've been biking for about an hour every day for the past year, and it's not very often I feel like I'm using my whole body. Only when it's really windy and I'm going uphill. Especially with the extra weight from the trailer, you should aim for a lower gear, so you don't strain your knees. They are not at all as strong as your legs so you need to be careful in the beginning. I would suggest biking as a way to get awesome legs, a toned butt and burn calories but you should find another way to work your arms and abs.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Professional cyclists have unbeliveable core strengh, cultivated from hours in the saddle of a performance bicycle where bike control, body position, and pedaling cadence are perfected to the point where they are truly one with their machine. Newer serious cyclists often practice rolling thier hips/pelvis so their back stays flat, giving the stongest position to let their legs work most efficiently.

That said, the casual cyclist wil see little of that benefit riding an upright hybrid, pulling a trailer, etc. As others have said, you should look for other ways to tone arms and upper body.

As for your cycling form, I agree with others that you should pedal at a pace in the right gear so you are spinning a cadence of at least 70 - 80 rpm. Don't 'mash' the pedals in a higher gear/lower cadence-- that will definitely strain your knees.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It will reduce fat all over, yes.