Not so hot

Options
:grumble: Well, I'm not doing so well in my weight loss. Haven't lost a thing. The only good news is that I haven't gained either. I know that the key is my eating habits, and yet I can't seem to change them. I throw tires into a semi truck 5 hours a day 5 days a week, and I walk ALOT, so I know it's not my activity level. I'm just not sure how to change my eating habits. When I go to the store, I buy fruits/vegis, and other healthy snacks and meals, but it doesn't really stick, ya know? We (my husband and I) either end up going to pick up fast food, or we just wing it until next shopping and my resolve is gone. I know that I need to change my mindset here, but I'm at a complete loss as to how to do it.

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from because I've been there. For a year and a half, that was me. I've only been eating well for a little under a month now but what I can tell you is that it does get easier. Here are some of the things I've done that have been working for me.

1) Get rid of the junk food in your house. It takes more of an effort if you have to go out and get it. If you can't get rid of it (I can't in my house- hubby likes the crap), put it in the deep freeze or somewhere you can't see it. Push it to the back. Forget about it.

2) Plan your meals. This is where MFP has come in handy for me, because I can sit here for hours tweaking meals, making sure I have the right balance of ingredients, etc. If you know what you're going to be eating, it's easy to stay focused.

3) Track your calories. Again, MFP saves the day. While planning your meals, you get to see where your calories are at, so you can tailor your meals accordingly.

4) Mind your portions. It's easy to pour yourself a bowl of cereal without thought- but you could just as easily be consuming more than you're bargaining for. I measure everything I eat. This is goes double for those occassions where you may be indulging a little bit. It's one thing to eat a small, measured portion of ice cream (I eat a half cup when I do have some, which isn't often). It's another to have a three-scoop sundae with the works. Moderation is key. A little bit, sometimes. Not a lot, all the time.

5) Pre-cook your food. This one was KEY for me. Once I started doing this, things got 200% easier. I'm not a great cook on the best of days- especially when it comes to dinner. If I've had a long day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook. Often I'm left staring into the cupboards trying to think of what to make.... and if I'm tired or hungry enough, I'll resort to cooking that box of mac and cheese. By planning and pre-cooking my meals, it takes the guesswork out. I'll make enough chicken or salmon for three or four nights. Then that's what I'll eat, every night. When I run out, I'll cook more. Believe it or not, I don't get bored because I switch up the sides. Different kinds of carbs (quinoa, couscous, brown rice), different kinds of veggies. Different seasonings on the chicken and fish. Lots of variety. And I'm really only cooking myself dinner two or three times a week, so it's not too bad.

Believe it or not, it DOES get easier. Less than 3 weeks ago, I had a LOT of setbacks. Moments where I honestly felt I HAD to have something. One night I snapped and purged on cookies, only to find myself crying afterwards (that was tough). Then something clicked for me and I realized that we all have moments where we cave to temptation. The trick is to pick ourselves up and realize, it's okay. This day can be saved. Start all over again. Tomorrow is a new day. Remember how bad you felt when you gave in to that craving the next time you're tempted to indulge. Guaranteed, the self-satisfaction you'll feel the next time you say no will be INFINITELY sweeter than that piece of cake.

In a VERY short period of time I've lost desire to endlessly munch. I'm not really bothered by the sight of other people eating the foods I used to crave. I really feel like the worst part is over. If you can get through that initial tough period and come out strong... you'll do just fine.

:flowerforyou:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to buy healthy food? Yuck! You can't change everything in your life in one day. Take the stuff you like and just make it smaller, add less sugar, less oil. And count those calories!
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from because I've been there. For a year and a half, that was me. I've only been eating well for a little under a month now but what I can tell you is that it does get easier. Here are some of the things I've done that have been working for me.

1) Get rid of the junk food in your house. It takes more of an effort if you have to go out and get it. If you can't get rid of it (I can't in my house- hubby likes the crap), put it in the deep freeze or somewhere you can't see it. Push it to the back. Forget about it.

2) Plan your meals. This is where MFP has come in handy for me, because I can sit here for hours tweaking meals, making sure I have the right balance of ingredients, etc. If you know what you're going to be eating, it's easy to stay focused.

3) Track your calories. Again, MFP saves the day. While planning your meals, you get to see where your calories are at, so you can taylor your meals accordingly.

4) Mind your portions. It's easy to pour yourself a bowl of cereal without thought- but you could just as easily be consuming more than you're bargaining for. I measure everything I eat. This is goes double for those occassions where you may be indulging a little bit. It's one thing to eat a small, measured portion of ice cream (I eat a half cup when I do have some, which isn't often). It's another to have a three-scoop sundae with the works. Moderation is key. A little bit, sometimes. Not a lot, all the time.

5) Pre-cook your food. This one was KEY for me. Once I started doing this, things got 200% easier. I'm not a great cook on the best of days- especially when it comes to dinner. If I've had a long day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook. Often I'm left staring into the cupboards trying to think of what to make.... and if I'm tired or hungry enough, I'll resort to cooking that box of mac and cheese. By planning and pre-cooking my meals, it takes the guesswork out. I'll make enough chicken or salmon for three or four nights. Then that's what I'll eat, every night. When I run out, I'll cook more. Believe it or not, I don't get bored because I switch up the sides. Different kinds of carbs (quinoa, couscous, brown rice), different kinds of veggies. Different seasonings on the chicken and fish. Lots of variety. And I'm really only cooking myself dinner two or three times a week, so it's not too bad.

Believe it or not, it DOES get easier. Less than 3 weeks ago, I had a LOT of setbacks. Moments where I honestly felt I HAD to have something. One night I snapped and purged on cookies, only to find myself crying afterwards (that was tough). Then something clicked for me and I realized that we all have moments where we cave to temptation. The trick is to pick ourselves up and realize, it's okay. This day can be saved. Start all over again. Tomorrow is a new day. Remember how bad you felt when you gave in to that craving the next time you're tempted to indulge. Guaranteed, the self-satisfaction you'll feel the next time you say no will be INFINITELY sweeter than that piece of cake.

In a VERY short period of time I've lost desire to endlessly munch. I'm not really bothered by the sight of other people eating the foods I used to crave. I really feel like the worst part is over. If you can get through that initial tough period and come out strong... you'll do just fine.

:flowerforyou:

What great advice Carrie! I agree, it is a hard thing to break, but it doesn't take long. I monitor the various day to day addictive behaviors in my life (i.e. caffine like soda and coffee, nicotine, etc.) and NOTHING was EVER as hard to break as my addiction to sugar and junk food. My body craved it, I was cranky, I fell off the wagon countless times. But, as hard as it was, it took only a very short time of will power before my body shook the craving and now if food is TOO sweet I can't stand it. Me?!? Food too sweet??? This from me, the girl who used to down a Mountian Dew (which was usually the 6th or 7th one of the day) before bed every night in high school and now I actually have my body conditioned to not crave sugar! I used to eat ice cream 3 to 4 times a week and now I have a pint that has been sitting in my freezer for over 2 months because I just don't want it. I used to eat fast food at least 5 days a week and now I would rather go home and have some veggies and chicken. So, it can be done. Just have faith and stick with it and remember to use your support here. It gets easier when you see the weight begin to come off and you start to feel the change on the inside of your body. There are some people doing a daily check-in group. Maybe something like that would help because it is a daily reminder of your goals. Oh, and I almost forgot one of the most important things...drink your water! It is SO helpful when you are trying to move past the bad eating habits and helps your body to adjust a little quicker. Good luck and congratuations for reaching out and asking for the support! That is a great first step!! :bigsmile:
  • thinkthin79
    Options
    It's good to know that others have the same set backs......it makes me feel less down on myself!!! Thank you. Alanna, LOL. My reasons for trying to eat healthy isn't just weight, it's heart healthy too. There is a family history of heart issues on my side. Also, my husband is 40 and over weight, his dad died at 40 of a massive heart attack. It scares me. We have 2 small children (6 and 9) that need us. We need each other.