jogging in the northeast

Options
Hey all,
I have recently started the C25K program - so far, so good. I only wish I had started it sooner, because living in Maine has presented some problems with me following the program. The weather and road conditions are wreaking havoc on my training schedule. My question is, does anyone train on an indoor track? I'm not really crazy about running on a treadmill, but did a search on indoor tracks, and a local university has an indoor track to run on for a reasonable fee each month. I am curious to hear your thoughts on this...

Replies

• racermom
    Options
    I too, am a Northeast runner. Not crazy about my treadmill. For some reason I NEED to be getting somewhere when I run. I really struggle with running in one place (my treadmill). I pick my days outside, if it is somewhat dry I take to the roads, if not I do the halls at our local school. I too, would love to hear some suggestions. Otherwise, dress warm and watch out for crazy drivers! :):laugh:284705.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I hate my treadmill.... but when I have to use it (I live in Wisconsin, so it does become necessary) I run on an incline or use some of the preset programs to mix it up and give me some variety. And new music helps distract you from the fact that you are going nowhere. :)
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm a New Englander and a runner. Just started running in June, so this is my first winter as a runner and I REFUSE to let mother nature and some snow/ice and cold temperatures erase all my hard work and all the progress I've made.

It was interesting to read your post because I have been having the exact same problem- what to do on days where it's too cold or slippery to run outside. A treadmill is not an option for me. For some reason, I can run for an hour straight outside, but struggle to do just a few minutes on the treadmill. I've been in search of indoor tracks and haven't had any luck.

For now, I just pick and choose which days I can get outside for a run. Also, I work at a middle school so I am going to (as a last resort) run around the inside of the building, either laps around the gym, or in the hallways on days where I can't get outside- like you mentioned, racermom. It may not be ideal, but it's easy, convenient, warm, and free! So, don't be afraid to think outside the box a little bit when you're finding a place to run. I'd love to find an indoor track, and would even pay for it for a few months, but I don't think any exist very close to me.:ohwell:
  • jennai
    jennai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Kelynn - check out local colleges and/or high schools in your area, I found 3 indoor running tracks near where I live. They all charge a nominal fee for use. I am going to make some calls this week, and once I try it, I'll post my findings/thoughts etc. =)
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks zuessmom-

I did check most of the local colleges/high schools. Didn't come up with much. Seems like it would be a gold mine to me if someone built an indoor track. Runners would love it (especially in the northeast)- I think it would get use from about November through March and again from June through August.... hmmm ... maybe I should do that and become independently wealthy :laugh:
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I am in NH and ran on Sunday in 13 degree weather.....it was freezing! It felt so good though, the clean fresh air, so quiet. This is my first winter running but it is the only thing that makes me feel like I am accomplishing a great workout. I have a running schedule and will do my best to stick with it. I watch the weather, if I am supposed to run on a day that we will be having a storm, I will cram it in prior to it. They clean the sidewalks in the center of town pretty well, I run around a mile block that is very clean due to the school bus routes, the other day I just ran that a few times.
    I don't do well w/ outdoor tracks because the scenery never changes, I don't think I would like to run in an indoor one. I have to be very careful where I place my feet, today it was a bit choppy in places but did 3.5 miles and felt great!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a New Englander and a runner. Just started running in June, so this is my first winter as a runner and I REFUSE to let mother nature and some snow/ice and cold temperatures erase all my hard work and all the progress I've made.

It was interesting to read your post because I have been having the exact same problem- what to do on days where it's too cold or slippery to run outside. A treadmill is not an option for me. For some reason, I can run for an hour straight outside, but struggle to do just a few minutes on the treadmill. I've been in search of indoor tracks and haven't had any luck.

For now, I just pick and choose which days I can get outside for a run. Also, I work at a middle school so I am going to (as a last resort) run around the inside of the building, either laps around the gym, or in the hallways on days where I can't get outside- like you mentioned, racermom. It may not be ideal, but it's easy, convenient, warm, and free! So, don't be afraid to think outside the box a little bit when you're finding a place to run. I'd love to find an indoor track, and would even pay for it for a few months, but I don't think any exist very close to me.:ohwell:

I live in New Jersey and the weather this time of year is rough! I run outside also and I just dress warm as I can..Out door cardio can be an adventure this time of year.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I won't run on snow and ice, because that's a good way to get injured. But I don't care what the temp is; I'm running outside. My biggest problem here is the wind, it gets nasty.

I hadn't thought about running down the halls of a school. I should have, when I wrestled that's pretty much where we ran was up and down the halls and auditorium (stadium stairs... great work out)
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I won't run on snow and ice, because that's a good way to get injured. But I don't care what the temp is; I'm running outside. My biggest problem here is the wind, it gets nasty.

100% agreed. If there is snow/ice on the ground not only is it slippery for runners, but for drivers. After being almost hit (the car literally missed me by just inches) a few months ago, I'm very careful. It only takes once for your life to change. I know running is addicting, and I'm very hard on myself and very disappointed when I don't get a run in, but keep the big picture in mind. Please, no matter where you choose to run, make sure that it's safe. Even running around a big parking lot is usually safer than running on the roads. If you can't run in the halls at a school, maybe running around the outside of the building, or around the parking lot. Think outside of the box, but please, please put safety first.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Why don't all of us New Englanders just say what we're all thinking, New England winters SUCK! Ice, snow, rain, more snow, melting snow that freezes into black ice, hail, more ice, more snow, then bitter cold in February! Gotta love it, add in a summer with twice as much rain as normal here and you start to wonder what the draw is at all, it sure can't be the taxes! :tongue:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Why don't all of us New Englanders just say what we're all thinking, New England winters SUCK! Ice, snow, rain, more snow, melting snow that freezes into black ice, hail, more ice, more snow, then bitter cold in February! Gotta love it, add in a summer with twice as much rain as normal here and you start to wonder what the draw is at all, it sure can't be the taxes! :tongue:

Banks, you're right... I often wonder what the heck I'm going living here. San Diego is sounding pretty nice right about now... :wink: Except, it would be much harder to be an obsessive Sox fan on the west coast :ohwell:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    LOL, New England does suck doesn't it? We must all be a bunch of dumbA**es! :bigsmile: You forgot the humidity in July and August.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I bought some yaktracks for the ice. I have yet to use them, but I keep them in my vest pocket so that I can put them on if I find that I need them. Luckily, I live on an unpaved road in the country, and there isn't much traffic. I do use a headlamp, reflective vest, reflective collar on my dog, and walk when the cars go by so I can jump into the ditch if need be..... :tongue: I usually only meet one or two cars in my run.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    LOL, New England does suck doesn't it? We must all be a bunch of dumbA**es! :bigsmile: You forgot the humidity in July and August.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I bought some yaktracks for the ice. I have yet to use them, but I keep them in my vest pocket so that I can put them on if I find that I need them. Luckily, I live on an unpaved road in the country, and there isn't much traffic. I do use a headlamp, reflective vest, reflective collar on my dog, and walk when the cars go by so I can jump into the ditch if need be..... :tongue: I usually only meet one or two cars in my run.

One or two cars!?!? There are about 25 or so that pass literally by the time I go from the driveway to the corner (about 30 feet)! I'm jealous... night running or running in snow/ice is NOT a safe option for me :ohwell:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Saw on the website for our local mall that they open at 7am for walkers to walk the mall. They even have it measured out and tell you how many laps to a mile. So, I called to find out if jogging was ok too and they said no because it's too dangerous since the floor is tile and can be somewhat slippery and it's not safe to run on tile :noway: Wouldn't it be slippery for the walkers too then? :huh:

I was so bummed that the said no :angry: