Pregnancy and nutrition...just curious

Options
So question....let's say you're pregnant. Now, I've heard that if you're pregnant you should go up to maintenance cals BUT what if you continue to eat your deficit cals and feel satisfied at the end of the day? I know this is a question for a doctor, but since its mostly curiosity, I figured I'd ask here.

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If you're eating the right types of food at a calorie deficit I'm sure you would feel satisfied at the end of the day... however, if you are pregnant I'm not sure why one would want to eat at a calorie deficit. When you are pregnant it's not just about you anymore. You need to eat enough to fuel your body throughout the pregnancy to ensure a healthy child.
  • sarat88
    Options
    You are right, ask your doctor. However, I have gone to maintenance calories for my weight class. I actually looked on the internet to find how many calories i should be consuming for my weight class, activity level etc, then cleared it with my doc. He cleared me for a pound a month. 4 months and I have gained 3 so far. Lets see how long that lasts now that I am in my second trimester and not sick anymore :laugh: If you have a hard time eating more, maybe throw in some snacks with a nutritional punch like fruits or veggies. Also, in my first trimester when I was so sick, I drank a lot of fruit juices to fill in the gaps. V8 fruit juices are AWSOME!