Free weights advice

Ive recently started using free weights over the past week to try and build up some upper body muscle. I had some old weights about the house and it saves me paying for a gym membership...
Currently i do about 10-15 different exercies doing reps of 8-12 and 3 sets.
Is this right? Is this going to help me build up muscle or am i doing it wrong?
Any advice would be great! :)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    You won't make much progress without a heavy progression plan that includes the big ones like: squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press...

I'd probably go with something like 'You are your own gym' before just messing about with the same weight of dumbells over and over.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Ive recently started using free weights over the past week to try and build up some upper body muscle. I had some old weights about the house and it saves me paying for a gym membership...

Make sure that you're using correct form most of all.

Second of all, that's the sort of routine I usually did when I'm doing a gym cycle. I'll do 3 different exercises in sets. So for example.

Round 1.
    Bicep Curl-10
    Tricep Press-10
    Ab workout -Depends
    Bicep Curl-10
    Tricep Press-10
    Ab workout -Depends
    Bicep Curl-8
    Tricep Press-8
    Ab workout -Depends

Round 2.
    Tricep Dips-10
    Bent over row-10
    Abs-XX
    Tricep Dips-10
    Bent over row-10
    Abs-XX
    Tricep Dips-8
    Bent over row-8
    Abs-XX

This also all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I do mine for reasons of bulking up, so notice the last set is with less reps and usually more weight
  • Google:

Starting Strength
    5x5 Workout (lots of variations on this one)

Those will give you good beginner plans. Chart everything - being able to see your progress will motivate you.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    check this out for some good tips and maybe even a plan to follow

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Google:

Starting Strength
    5x5 Workout (lots of variations on this one)

Those will give you good beginner plans. Chart everything - being able to see your progress will motivate you.

Thse program is great for strength gains but not so great for muscle growth (you will get some but not optimal if growth not strength is your goal). You should still do the exercises from those programs plus additional for optimal muscle growth. The rep range for that would be 8-12 reps where the last rep or 2 in each set is difficult to complete with good form.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Check this link, buy the book, run the Allpro's routine. Srs. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • If you're already doing 8-12 reps per set with them, you've already outgrown them. Without progression to heavier weights, your gains will quickly stall. The effect known as "noobie gains" will cause rapid advances at first, so upping the weight to stay within that 5-6 rep range every time is the best way to take advantage of it.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member

In my humble opinion, your intensity level is way more important that whatever routine you are following.
    Use good form with controlled movements (positive and negative) and push yourself. Don't limit yourself to a specific number of reps, go until it burns and your form is about to fall apart.
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    I can't do weights at the moment, but I'm bumping this for future reference.