wow, crazy portion sizes

Options
Anise6789
Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
Okay, so the other day my husband had cheese crust pizza. It had over 300 calories for 1/5 of the pizza. He could have eat four times that much. Last month I nearly shipwrecked, when my sister brought over coneys. Two of them were over 600 calories a peice. There are few, people who need this kind of fuel. I asked myself, whats up? Those coneys should be the size of vienna sausage, with mini buns. You can't buy 3 oz. meat at the grocery store. It isn't packaged that way. Have we been mislead to believe these are normal portions? Its time to retrain our ideas about portion size. I ate the coneys and it took me three days to balance out my calorie intake.we sit down to a pitiful little diet dinner and feel deprived. It isn't us whos messed up, its those faulty portion sizes we've come to believe were the right ones. From comercials to ,fast food, to grocery packaging we are taught to eat portions suitable for a lumberjack. Its time to tell ourselves we're not deprived, but most folks are overeating. Is the world trying to make us fat,and keep us that way? good luck all!

Replies

• Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay, so the other day my husband had cheese crust pizza. It had over 300 calories for 1/5 of the pizza. He could have eat four times that much. Last month I nearly shipwrecked, when my sister brought over coneys. Two of them were over 600 calories a peice. There are few, people who need this kind of fuel. I asked myself, whats up? Those coneys should be the size of vienna sausage, with mini buns. You can't buy 3 oz. meat at the grocery store. It isn't packaged that way. Have we been mislead to believe these are normal portions? Its time to retrain our ideas about portion size. I ate the coneys and it took me three days to balance out my calorie intake.we sit down to a pitiful little diet dinner and feel deprived. It isn't us whos messed up, its those faulty portion sizes we've come to believe were the right ones. From comercials to ,fast food, to grocery packaging we are taught to eat portions suitable for a lumberjack. Its time to tell ourselves we're not deprived, but most folks are overeating. Is the world trying to make us fat,and keep us that way? good luck all!
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    well said !!!

everythings' got bigger with time. Do you remember 15 years ago in mc donald's the portion size of a small fries came in this tiny little paper container ? and the big size then look like the small from today's. did you see the size of sodas sold at 7/11? the big gulp i think its called. how can anybody drink all that in 1 go ??? but some people do !! not to mention the size of plates you get at restaurants

what a crazy world this is !!

may
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Well, at least they're not doing what Campbell's does. Okay, I understand the value of giving a measuring cup friendly size. But who eats half a serving of anything, aside from bagels and the so-called "medium" fries they have at McGreasy? Not sure if this is true, but I heard once that the hamburgers and whatnot in kiddie meals used to be called normal rather than kiddie size.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    If you look back to when McDonalds opened....the average meal was what is classified as a Happy Meal today. The plain old burger and small fries. If that doesn't tell you how crazy we have gotten with portions, I don't know what would!! But, when you go out to a restaurant, the portions they give you would feed 3 people! We went to a diner today and I got the kids silver dollar pancakes for my son and it came with 6 or 7 pancakes that were more like the size of saucers instead of silver dollars. My son is 15 months old...he ate like 1 1/2 total and my husband ate the rest! (Bottomless pit that he is)

I have been watching my portions and caloric intake for awhile now and my stomach is back to the size it should have been and it just takes less to fill me. If I even eat 100 or 200 more calories in a day, I feel STUFFED! Whenever I get to my goal, I will have to slowly up the calories to maintain but I imagine it will take some time to get used to.