Fitbit

Options
I've seen loads of people mention this little piece of kit. What i'd like to know is:

What is it?
What does it do?
How much does it cost?
Is it any good?

Thanks!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I you do a search, you will find loads of threads on it.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dongle
    Measures steps (horizontally and vertically), calories, and activity level.
    $100
    Yes (if quantifying your activities helps with your motivation/discipline)
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    They run around $100. I rather like it, just because I'm a compulsive tracker and data junkie. I love being able to analyse my activity levels across days. It's fun. I pull it into Excel and create all sorts of fun charts and graphs. It's how I satisfy the nerdy side of my brain ;-)
  • swhite1209
    swhite1209 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought one and it did a fine job for one month and then it stopped working. I tried t find a customer sevice number to call and finally found one and when i called there was a recording that said they do not do phone support. you have to email them and then they take two or three days to answer you. They are mailng me a new fitbit. We will see how long this one lasts. I dont know if mine was just messed up or what but it never calculated my exercise the same even though I did the same thing every day. One day it would give me 328 then the next day it woud say 68. I would get so mad. I am hoping that it was just not a good one and had something wrong with it. Something to think about.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I really like it because it helps to know how many calories you burn through regular daily activities. The way I use mine is I have my activity level in my profile set to sedentary and then use the FitBit to monitor my activity and sync the information to MFP.

To me it seems to make the daily calories more realistic. So far that has been working for me. YMMV
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
  • cmk99
    Options
    I love mine!!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've had one since April.... a couple of minor issues here and there, as with any 'tech' product.
    For the most part, I love it and wear it every day.
    Here is a blog I did reviewing the fitbit against the Bodybugg.... another fitness gaget. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Masq
    :flowerforyou:
  • jvw317
    Options
    It's a discrete pedometer that not only tracks steps, but number of floors climbed, number of miles walked/jogged, calories burned, and sleep patterns when you wear the wristband that it hooks into at night. I got mine for about $90 on Amazon in blue, but you can get it in pink for about $10 more which I thought was a waste of money. It also syncs to myfitnesspal so if you walk a lot of steps a certain day, myfitnesspal will treat those as exercise calories burned. I don't eat back my exercise calories, so to avoid this addition to your calorie allowance for the day, you don't go near your computer with your fitbit. I personally think it was the greatest investment to my fitness. I am now very aware of how active I am during the day and I am always getting 10,000 steps. This gadget has helped me lose 10lbs in 2 months! I highly recommend it!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I you do a search, you will find loads of threads on it.

Heck, go to fitbit.com and you can see it and find out for yourself. No need to even search the threads here.

Love my FitBit. Wear it 24/7 (well except during showering LOL).

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I know i could do a search for it, but in addition to figuring out the info about what it is etc I wanted to guage the general consensus about how people find using it.
  • KarleyK
    KarleyK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love mine! its delicate though and not water proof so sweating can hurt it. I have heard good things about stride if mine gives out I will probably switch to this.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I know i could do a search for it, but in addition to figuring out the info about what it is etc I wanted to guage the general consensus about how people find using it.

Very understandable. I often do the same when researching a new to me product. Personally I think it's well worth the money. Heck I even bought their wifi enabled Aria scale, which I think is also a great product.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    have had mine close to a month now and won't be without it..if it needs replaced..that's what I will do. It is like my own little bitty personal trainer and encourager and it was the best $100 I ever spent.