i need healthy satisfying snack ideas!

nehptune
nehptune Posts: 138
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
i get ridiculously hungry between meals. i think that i must be one of these people who needs to eat little and often.

but despite trying to give myself healthy snacks such as apples, pears, string cheese, whole wheat crackers, etc... i still get hungry between meals.

so i'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for healthy and filling vegetarian snacks to keep me going between meals.

cheers!

Replies

• I find having a Fibre 1 bar or an All-Bran snack bites keeps me going till my next meal. They are both great snacks that keep you feeling full and have about 5 g of fibre and are about 110-140 cals. per bar. Hope this helps you..............
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    I am a university student and some snacks I bring to school are: peanut butter and celery, cheese and peperoni slices (not the greatest but better then chips or chocolate bars like others in class), cottage cheese, I have small glass jars and usually have one with veggie juice, and one with some whey protein. Almonds, cashews and soya nuts. Even shaved chicken breast or turkey breast. How about trying to make your own granola bars?

I hope I helped with some ideas :)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Peanut butter on toast, laughing cow wedge with some crackers. The peanut butter is really filling and keeps me full until my next meal.
  • The fiber one bars are great!!! Also the cocoa roasted 100 calorie packs of almonds, and 100 calorie packs of kettle korn (my favorite). Pickles are really good too (a little high in sodium but almost no calories.)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I second the person who suggested cottage cheese - one of my favorite snacks. If you buy the low-fat or fat-free type, it's easy to fit into your calorie plan. It's good with fruit or vegetables. I also like almonds as a snack - good source of healthy fats and protein.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    I also like to have a hard boiled egg for morning snack.
  • Hummus and whole wheat pitas, or hummus and veggies.
  • justjack51
    justjack51 Posts: 340 Member
    Pretzel Crisps, I even dip them in Salsa sometimes. Got to watch the sodium though.

I am also a fan of Snickers Marathon Multi Grain Crunch protein bars, get the snack size, 140 calories. If you get the bigger ones, do half of the 220 calorie bars. You can buy them at Walmart near the pharmacy.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I too, like the laughing cow cheese wedges with crackers.

I also keep a supply of the 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn on hand. Smart Balance makes one that is probably the most healthy of them all.

and maybe I'm wierd, but I LOVE raw string beans, so I always have those handy. You can eat about 2 lbs of them for the caloric equivalent of a hershey bar!
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Try Veggie patch meatless meatballs or brocolli bites sooo goood and low fat and calories and I promise you will be full... you can have 6 meatballs for just 130 calories
  • Hummus and whole wheat pitas, or hummus and veggies.

Mmmmmmm...... Hummus! I love hummus, roasted red pepper is my fav. I'm gonna have to get some of that tomorrow.:love:
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    some of my favorite snacks are actually small portions of meals, eg i have my cooler that i carry, will bring a 1/2 cup homemade turkey chili or a pita with 2 oz chicken, 1/2 apple with cottage cheese, 1/2 pure protein bar. i always pair a carb with protein (try for equal amounts), much more satisfying and long lasting.
  • nehptune
    nehptune Posts: 138
    wow, this is great!
    i'm definitely going to try a bunch of these out... i'm a big fan of hummus, i make my own, so that's definitely on the list.

:bigsmile:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    I eat an avocado!
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    this takes a little prep but its VERY LOW CALORIE and LOTS OF FOOD

STUFFED CUCUMBER> ABOUT 65 CALORIES
    *skin the cucumber, it kinda hurts the roof of your mouth if you dont.

1 whole cucumber > split it down the middle and scoop out the seeds (eat em, i always do)
    1/4 cup (.5 a serving) of cottage cheese (use the 4% or 2% kind because fat free is nasty)
    with chives
    basil
    and parsley > mix it into the cottage cheese beforehand to taste
    > fill the hallowed out cucumber with the cottage cheese mixture
  • tlauzis
    tlauzis Posts: 7 Member
    One of my best "go to" snacks is one half of a Thomas' 100 calorie english muffin toasted and spread with 1 tbsp Adam's peanut butter and then I add 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese. The total snack is about 235 calories, but it is totally filling and it incorporates good fat, protein and carbs all in one small meal.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    green beans are really low in calories! You can eat a whole can for 80 calories!
This discussion has been closed.