Runners, any pre-race rituals?

Options
Hey runners, do you have any weird, superstitious, or fun pre-race (or during-race) rituals that you go through?

As for myself, I eat a cupcake the night before a race. I'm not trying to carbo-load, but it's become part of my routine, I have always run well in the morning, and hey... It's the only time I eat cupcakes :)

Share your idiosyncrasies please?

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is only my second race, so I don't have one yet. I'm thinking of Spagetti the night before every race though (as I'm having tonight). Not necessarily to carbo-load or anything, but just as a "ritual". But it'll be interesting to read other responses!
  • fitontherun
    fitontherun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    On the morning of the race, I always eat a bagel thin bagel with almond butter and nutella. This what I usually eat before training runs. And it's one of the few foods my nervous stomach can handle. :wink:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I always like to have a brownie or piece of cake the night before a race. Heck, I'd like to have one every night if I could. :smile:

I don't warm up in the same shirt that I'm going to race in.
    I don't warm up in the same shoes that I'm going to race in.
    For 5Ks, I like to run the course in the opposite direction as my warm up.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I make a big breakfast the night before and then have a banana the morning of the race.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Praying I don't trip over my feet?! Haha.. no, not really. Sadly, I can't eat spaghetti, unless it's wheat based.

Good luck to the person who is running tomorrow!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Banana and 16 oz water 2 hours before the race -- a juicy burger and beer after ;-)
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Doing my 2nd 5K tomorrow so nothing set in stone yet as for a ritual. We are having pasta as well because my last run I didn't and I lost steam really fast. I like the cupcake idea since I haven't had one in 128 days! Good luck to everyone with their races! I'm trying to be under 35 min my first race I was at 38 min and I had to walk some of it so I hope to finish strong running the whole thing!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I can't eat spaghetti, unless it's wheat based.

Isn't most pasta made from wheat products??

I know there are non wheat pastas available, but they aren't the norm.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    a beer or two (or maybe wine) the night before so I can fall asleep. A cup of coffee and whole wheat bagel with peanut butter in the morning before I go :)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is most definitely in superstition land but if the race shirt comes with packet pick up I never wear it unless I've actually finished the race lest the racing gods strike me down. lol Other than that I don't really have any strange pre-race rituals.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    This is most definitely in superstition land but if the race shirt comes with packet pick up I never wear it unless I've actually finished the race lest the racing gods strike me down. lol Other than that I don't really have any strange pre-race rituals.

I haven't yet competed in any races, but this one makes sense to me. I can't imagine wearing a shirt that I haven't actually earned yet.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I make sure I poop. Yeah. I said it. But once you've read about runner's trots, they will haunt you!