Unsolicited advice

Options
2»

Replies

• Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Wonder what he would have said if you told him you were a cannibal?

Great job on your loss. keep on keeping on.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've gotten annoying advice like this before as well. Some lady at the grocery store told me I would lose a lot if I went on her diet that consisted of nothing but boiled arugula. Yeah, no thanks. Hah
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the amazing changes you're making! As for the other guy, some people just suck. :grumble:
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    People try it with me too. I know I'm doing fine though, some are just well meaning individuals, and some are just malicious individuals. Either way, what works for some people, does not work for others.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've yet to meet a vegan who doesn't proselytize their diet. Like the reformed smoker who chides those who haven't kicked the habit, vegans seem to assume they merit a position of moral superiority.

91 lbs in 3 months sounds a bit frightening. My dietitian wants me to lose between 1 & 2 lbs per week.

I understand that 1 to 2 pounds per week is standard that is accepted. The fact is that with what I had to lose, that would have taken me between 2 1/2 to 5 years. I would be very surprised to see someone stay focused for so long since seeing any significant results would take forever. I do not believe I could do it.

I am trying to do it as healthy as possible. During the week I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories and stay under 30 carbs. On the weekend I try to eat between 2000 and 2200 calories and stay around 75 carbs. And every 6 weeks or so I have a day where I do not worry about my carb intake at all to have some former favorites. As I near my goal, I will increase my calories to reduce my deficit, to work up gradually to a maintainence level.

I have increased my walking so that now I am walking up to 2 hours a day 5-6 days per week. I also do some strength training, hitting all the major muscle groups at least once a week, and keep my protein intake high to make sure as little of the weight loss as possible is coming from lean muscle tissue.

This is what is working for me. I am not saying I would recommend someone with only 30 pounds to lose to do it in one month.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Do you want to know another way to drop the weight off REALLY fast?
    Eat NOTHING AT ALL.
    Thats right. Eating absolutly nothing will gaurentee the fat will just MELT away.
    Imagine how jelous your friends will be when you look like a concentration camp survivor.
    Granted, there are a few unplesent side effecs but, those are unimportant right now.

I think they call that the Aushwitz diet. That was a very effective diet you could totally see the abs and hip bones.

*Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but I couldnt help it.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Congratualtions on your success!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    When people I don't know start giving me uninvited advice, I usually just tell them that my mother doesn't allow me to talk to strangers and walk away.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's taken me my whole life to realise that long term weight loss is not about some super diet or "tricky" way of eating. I think that for most of us who struggle with our weight, it's not because we don't know how to eat healthy & exercise, it's because food has taken on an importance that we find so hard to replace - I've never had a pizza or bar of chocolate tell me I'm ugly or worthless!!! I say good on all of us here because we are trying to get our lives in order & deal with our food/body issues. Whatever works for each one is different - if only it was a simple as your unsolicited advisor would like to have us believe!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! You lost a pound a day! That's just amazing!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. Having someone start proselytizing their cause is almost as annoying as watching strangers make grand sweeping generalities about someone they don't know. At least you didn't have to deal with that.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,141 Member
    Options
    Fainted after the *91 pounds in 3 month*:noway: AWESOME!!!!

It sounds like alot but I started with over 250 pounds to lose. When you have that much weight, any activity has some pretty serious calorie burns. Include taking in a resonable amount of calories and I was dropping pretty fast. I know the next three months I probably wont lose at the same rate, although I would like to drop at least another 70.
    You've got quite a journey ahead of you. When I first read the 250 lbs, I thought you meant that your start weight was over 250... Kudos to you! I wish you the best of luck in your fitness goal!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I have increased my walking so that now I am walking up to 2 hours a day 5-6 days per week. I also do some strength training, hitting all the major muscle groups at least once a week, and keep my protein intake high to make sure as little of the weight loss as possible is coming from lean muscle tissue.

This is what is working for me. I am not saying I would recommend someone with only 30 pounds to lose to do it in one month.
    Walking is great. I also like using an elliptical trainer... and I'm participating in exercise classes at a clinic that specializes in weight loss. We don't do much aerobics (they suggest we should walk, run, whatever on our own time) but we do loads of circuits that include dumbbells and other free weights.

Aside from helping to maintain the lean muscle tissue you're building, the other advantage of the higher protein intake is that protein helps to ward off hunger. The dietitian told me to avoid hunger by scheduling healthy snacks regularly. I never used to snack and typically ate two big meals a day. Now... three meals, three snacks and I'm not supposed to skip. It's been working for me.
  • country91
    country91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do you want to know another way to drop the weight off REALLY fast?
    Eat NOTHING AT ALL.
    Thats right. Eating absolutly nothing will gaurentee the fat will just MELT away.
    Imagine how jelous your friends will be when you look like a concentration camp survivor.
    Granted, there are a few unplesent side effecs but, those are unimportant right now.

LMFAOOOOO!!!! This just made my day, thankyou
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have a guy friend who is like this about Paleo. Always trying to convert me with a hard sell. I think Paleo is a great option, but not the be all and end all. He has even gone so far as to suggest that my grandmother developed Alzheimer's because of her evil grain-filled diet and that I have bad menstrual cramps because I eat the wheat devil.

It just comes off as silly (and sort of cultish) a lot of the time.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I have a guy friend who is like this about Paleo. Always trying to convert me with a hard sell. I think Paleo is a great option, but not the be all and end all. He has even gone so far as to suggest that my grandmother developed Alzheimer's because of her evil grain-filled diet and that I have bad menstrual cramps because I eat the wheat devil.

It just comes off as silly (and sort of cultish) a lot of the time.
    Fanatics by any brand will warp anything to support their beliefs. Evil grains!! Evil grains!!