Question for runners

Options

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I warm up with a mini jog before I stretch. I pick a spot and jog to it, nothing fast or hard, but enough to get a sweat. When I feel warmed up, then I settle into a stretching routine to loosen my hips and thighs and calves.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    I always walk to warm up. Maybe just a couple of minutes, but I always walk before and after a run.

Me too!

[Go Pack!!]
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I do a 1 min warm up walk, maybe some dynamic stretching but very rarely. Avoid static stretching as it can cause damage. If you really need a warmup, plyos have been recommended to me by every athletic trainer I had through sports in HS and College.

Not sure what plyos are, what exercises would be appropriate for warmup?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I warm up with a mini jog before I stretch. I pick a spot and jog to it, nothing fast or hard, but enough to get a sweat. When I feel warmed up, then I settle into a stretching routine to loosen my hips and thighs and calves.

This is typically the kind of thing I do.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't warm up - especially not before a long run - just start easy then speed up. If I am going to do a short fast run, then I MIGHT do some high knees or butt kicks.
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    Just do what you need to do, listen to your body, the biggest gift you can give yourself is learning to listen to your body in all things, food, rest, exercise, fatigue, etc.

This! Best advice to give to any athlete! Listen to your body!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always warm up. Either with a brisk walk for about 5 minutes, or for a slow jog.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I just run. I start out at whatever pace my body wishes to run when I start.

I do the same exact thing. Lol.
    Oh well for a warm up!

Yep...me too. I figure I'm sort of warmed up by walking around, getting dressed and walking outside. LOL
  • rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ditto... I just run. If you don't love running sign up for a 5k and you will
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    2 mins for me .. I do these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanS74B4jpM
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I walk a couple mins and then run. I can't just go or my legs will give up 2/3 of the way. I've tried it. haha
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I usually do the warm up from 30 Day Shred in my yard before running. I don't want to walk and screw up my route (just a weird personal preference I have). It's stuff like arm windmills, jumping jacks, "squat and pulls" where you do a half-squat then pull up one of your knees to your chest. That's a good one that opens up my hips before a run. Anything to get your muscles warmed up and the heart rate going a little bit.

Oooh. That's a great idea! I think I'll try this.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I walk from my house to the road.

Yeah, I'm not much for the warm up. Sometimes I get impatient and just start running from my front door!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread has some awesome responses, thank you all!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've changed to walking only about 2-3 minutes. I've learned that I'm a slow starter anyway, so when I start running after that 2 or 3 minute walk, I'm really not going much faster at first! The flip side is that when my time is up, I usually feel like I could keep running another 10-15 minutes (unless it is hot and humid, as it has been here for the last week!)

That's just the way my body works.

When I finish my run, If I have time I like to walk another 20 minutes or so. I think this helps me be less stiff later. Unfortunately, most of the time I don't have the time to spare for that much of a cool-down.

Someday, when I finish raising kids. . . .
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I walk for a few minutes (maybe 3) to get my heart rate up a little and my muscles warmed up and then run.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i run on a treadmill so i walk for ten minutes, mostly uphill and then lower the incline to 1 or 0 and run for as long as i can. havent run since i hurt my butt but i was up to a mile and a half nonstop! def warm somehow! you will last longer!!! <running that is>
  • sonyagruman
    Options
    I just walk about one min before I start to run
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I run with my dogs and they always have to do their business in those first few minutes, so I do a bit of warm up walk to a certain poin (probably only a couple of min, never timed it) and then I run. I also do the same walk as a cool down for me as well as my pups.
  • mparr125
    Options
    I do a few stretches and then just run. I use the distance from my driveway to the main road (about .35 miles - I try to keep it around 3 min) as a warmup.