Goals and Wishes

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Ok.... I think the whole sliding scale thing is finally starting to click!! So the calorie stuff is making more sense... I am getting a food scale to really help that and stop over or under estimating my food...

Next is just the exercising and what exactly to do... I read something somewhere that said after weight training the recovery period is between 24 and 48 hours and that is the optimal time to do cardio... so would you suggest just say for example starting on Monday I was to do an extra 30 minutes of cardio on top of the already 30 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and do light to moderate weight training on the opposite days or vise versa... Would that help to optomize my weight loss/ healthy body life style?? None of this may make any sense in writing sorry... It makes sense in my head Im just kind of scatter brained right now. I'm not really only trying to lose weight but tone up and get a much healthier body at the same time....

I don't believe in light weight training, weight training should be either lower weight higher reps to failure, or high weight lower reps to failure IMHO. But that's besides the point, days off mean days off, the only exception to that is, if you are working your upper body for weight training, then it should be ok to do cardio (assuming it's mostly lower body work, like running, elliptical...etc) the next day. How MUCH you do is entirely up to you, 30 minutes is perfectly acceptable if 30 minutes is hard for you, I'm a big advocate of working hard for as long as you can, whether that's 30 minutes or 2 hours, so be it. I.E. I'm not a huge fan of moderate cardio, either go light or go heavy, and if you go light, usually (barring some medical condition) that usually means go long. These are all opinions you understand, there are lots of strategies out there, but I usually tell people, put forth your maximum effort for as long as you can and you'll see good results.

Is this correct: Lower weight/ higher reps to failure will tone what muscle you have and higher weight/lower reps builds muscle???

No.

A caloric excess paired with training to failure and lactic acid buildup will build muscle.
    A caloric deficit resulting in fat loss paired with any challenging routine to functional fatigue will result in definition, or 'tone'.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    So for a woman just trying to get lean arms, some definition in the abs, lean shoulders, thighs etc the best to do would be lower weight/higher reps right?

essentially that is correct, except for abs. Abs (and really all your core) are a different beast. I could talk for hours about why they are different from other voluntary (well, partially) muscles. OK maybe not hours, but AN hour at least.

Are there some essential exercises to do with the abs that are really good basis for getting more definition and just a little bit of muscle tone?? I don't want a six pack or anything just not to be totally squishy....

I do crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, squats etc... I guess I;m trying to just take the guessing work out of all of this so I am just on my way and not having to do a bunch of guessing
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Thanks Banks, I'll keep you posted on my progress....i'm looking forward to challenging myself in some new ways this year.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

Ok.... I think the whole sliding scale thing is finally starting to click!! So the calorie stuff is making more sense... I am getting a food scale to really help that and stop over or under estimating my food...

Next is just the exercising and what exactly to do... I read something somewhere that said after weight training the recovery period is between 24 and 48 hours and that is the optimal time to do cardio... so would you suggest just say for example starting on Monday I was to do an extra 30 minutes of cardio on top of the already 30 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and do light to moderate weight training on the opposite days or vise versa... Would that help to optomize my weight loss/ healthy body life style?? None of this may make any sense in writing sorry... It makes sense in my head Im just kind of scatter brained right now. I'm not really only trying to lose weight but tone up and get a much healthier body at the same time....

I don't believe in light weight training, weight training should be either lower weight higher reps to failure, or high weight lower reps to failure IMHO. But that's besides the point, days off mean days off, the only exception to that is, if you are working your upper body for weight training, then it should be ok to do cardio (assuming it's mostly lower body work, like running, elliptical...etc) the next day. How MUCH you do is entirely up to you, 30 minutes is perfectly acceptable if 30 minutes is hard for you, I'm a big advocate of working hard for as long as you can, whether that's 30 minutes or 2 hours, so be it. I.E. I'm not a huge fan of moderate cardio, either go light or go heavy, and if you go light, usually (barring some medical condition) that usually means go long. These are all opinions you understand, there are lots of strategies out there, but I usually tell people, put forth your maximum effort for as long as you can and you'll see good results.

Is this correct: Lower weight/ higher reps to failure will tone what muscle you have and higher weight/lower reps builds muscle???

No.

A caloric excess paired with training to failure and lactic acid buildup will build muscle.
    A caloric deficit resulting in fat loss paired with any challenging routine to functional fatigue will result in definition, or 'tone'.

So basically doing cardio and watching what I eat while doing some weight training will ultimately result in weight loss and definition... essentially?? What exactly do you mean by "functional fatigue"?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether lower weights, higher reps accomplish anything. My thoughts are- if you're working until you couldn't possibly do one more rep, it has to be doing something for your muscle. What do you think the difference in end results are between low weight, high reps and high weight, low reps? Mass vs. endurance?
    __

As for goals, I think they keep you accountable, which is a good thing, but for me, I find the disappointment of not reaching a mini-goal to be devastating to my psyche, so I stick with more general goals. My current goal is to have a better summer by being smaller and more fit. If I attach a number to that, and don't reach that number, it will mean disappointment for me. If I don't have a specific number, and I'm simply smaller and more fit by summer, then I've accomplished my goal. I would love to be able to set more specific goals and know I would have the dedication to commit myself and reach them, but I know myself well enough to know that the best I can do right now is to try to do better without specific limitations. Eventually I hope to be strong enough to set specific goals and work to attain them. I have so many issues surrounding this whole weight/ food thing. I have to try to get them in order one by one. I guess my first goal would be to overcome this sweets addiction, but even with that, I can't be too specific.

the difference in low weight vs high weight is that low weight high reps will tone muscle, create functional strength, but won't increase mass (very much), high weight will increase mass (size).

that statement was meant to describe doing less than failure when weight training. Generally, if you're not going to failure you're leaving possible gains on the table (IMHO), not that it's ineffective if you don't, it's just less than optimal, and aside from not having the time to finish, what's the good reason for not going to failure?

As to your second statement. I would say a couple things, first, to each their own, if that works for you, then that's what you should do; BUT, I also wouldn't classify these as goals, I would classify them as hopes and desires. Why? Not because of any inabillity to attain them on your part, more because they don't meet the definition of a goal when pertaining to exercise and health.

Goals in this particular context, are closed ended, have a specific strategy, and can be measured. That doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong, it just means it's not what I'm trying to do. In other words. Not EVERYONE benefits from having a set schedule, just because of their personality, although I do believe that everyone can e helped by these types of goal, if they so choose. You'll notice that one thing I emphasize in the initial post is the adherence to having reasonable goals. This SHOULD allow most people to achieve these goals, and if you don't you can actually go back and look at where it went wrong, this usually deflects any feelings of failure. It's also a reason why I don't like to see really long term goals. When you create goals too far out, the goal itself can be daunting.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So for a woman just trying to get lean arms, some definition in the abs, lean shoulders, thighs etc the best to do would be lower weight/higher reps right?

essentially that is correct, except for abs. Abs (and really all your core) are a different beast. I could talk for hours about why they are different from other voluntary (well, partially) muscles. OK maybe not hours, but AN hour at least.

I disagree, just based off of my experience. Not that I have any exercise science training. I am soley going off of a program that has given me success, and what I have learned from Chalene Johnson. I have been religiously doing ChaLean Extreme, which is a program that focuses on heavier weights and less reps. So, for example: For the first 30 days of the program on biceps I was doing 10 pound weights and doing 12 reps (to failure- meaning I could NOT do one more rep). On the next 30 days the program has you do even HEAVIER weights and less reps. So, I was able to increase to 15 pound weights and do 8 reps to failure. Trust me...before when I would lift weights at the gym...I would only do 7.5pounds on biceps because I didn't want to "bulk up". But, I have done many of Chalene Johnson's workouts in the past and have been very impressed...so I did what she said. I have lost SO MANY inches all over my body. (she does everything you can pretty much think of). And even though I am lifting really heavy weights (for me) I am getting smaller and smaller, and REALLY toned. I have definition in my arms. It took me SO much longer to get to that point when I did smaller weights- and I never saw this kind of definition. I am a firm believer in the "heavier weight/ less reps" technique. There are requirements (must have correct form, slow technique, etc) but I haven't gained a pound, and I haven't gained ANY bulk. I have lost weight and lost several inches all over my body.

I do agree that everything is different for Abs....but as far as legs/arms/chest/etc.....what do you think Banks of the higher weight/less reps? Granted...you have to assume I am doing correct form, and my technique is slow. But, I've seen huge successes by going heavier and not being afriad that I will bulk up...because I haven't!!! From what I read from Chalene Johnson...women can't bulk up like men can because we don't have that much testosterone in our bodies. There are, of course, means of bulking up if a woman wanted....but in general we can't bulk up that much if we are lifting heavy, less reps, correct form, and slow technique....

p.s. I am obsessed with capitalizing words...haha.. think of it as me drawing the word out longer...rather than shouting..haha! I'd add more ooo's and ll's and everything but I didn't want to look like I was 15. so, I promise I'm not yelling..in online terms..haha!
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

I disagree, just based off of my experience. Not that I have any exercise science training. I am soley going off of a program that has given me success, and what I have learned from Chalene Johnson. I have been religiously doing ChaLean Extreme, which is a program that focuses on heavier weights and less reps. So, for example: For the first 30 days of the program on biceps I was doing 10 pound weights and doing 12 reps (to failure- meaning I could NOT do one more rep). On the next 30 days the program has you do even HEAVIER weights and less reps. So, I was able to increase to 15 pound weights and do 8 reps to failure. Trust me...before when I would lift weights at the gym...I would only do 7.5pounds on biceps because I didn't want to "bulk up". But, I have done many of Chalene Johnson's workouts in the past and have been very impressed...so I did what she said. I have lost SO MANY inches all over my body. (she does everything you can pretty much think of). And even though I am lifting really heavy weights (for me) I am getting smaller and smaller, and REALLY toned. I have definition in my arms. It took me SO much longer to get to that point when I did smaller weights- and I never saw this kind of definition. I am a firm believer in the "heavier weight/ less reps" technique. There are requirements (must have correct form, slow technique, etc) but I haven't gained a pound, and I haven't gained ANY bulk. I have lost weight and lost several inches all over my body.

I do agree that everything is different for Abs....but as far as legs/arms/chest/etc.....what do you think Banks of the higher weight/less reps? Granted...you have to assume I am doing correct form, and my technique is slow. But, I've seen huge successes by going heavier and not being afriad that I will bulk up...because I haven't!!! From what I read from Chalene Johnson...women can't bulk up like men can because we don't have that much testosterone in our bodies. There are, of course, means of bulking up if a woman wanted....but in general we can't bulk up that much if we are lifting heavy, less reps, correct form, and slow technique....

p.s. I am obsessed with capitalizing words...haha.. think of it as me drawing the word out longer...rather than shouting..haha! I'd add more ooo's and ll's and everything but I didn't want to look like I was 15. so, I promise I'm not yelling..in online terms..haha!

Is this ChaLean Extreme JUST a weight program?? I am looking for ways to do these things at home but live in an upstairs apartment and can't do jumping jacks etc as with the dvd's that require cardio with their program... I would love to not have to go to the gym just to do weights... So all you do with this one is simply lifting free weights??
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    as someone who used to do high reps, lower weights and have been watching women in the gym i can say that i do not see many good results with this kind of program. in the past 2 months i have started doing much heavier weights, strict diet and more cardio and the results have been tremendous, my body fat has dropped a lot, so has my weight. but i do think body fat is much more indicative of health than weight. i will go into the bodpod friday am for a repeat to have physical evidence and decide how much more i should try to lose..
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options

Is this ChaLean Extreme JUST a weight program?? I am looking for ways to do these things at home but live in an upstairs apartment and can't do jumping jacks etc as with the dvd's that require cardio with their program... I would love to not have to go to the gym just to do weights... So all you do with this one is simply lifting free weights??

Heather...YES! This is just a weight program. There are a few DVDs that include cardio workouts, but it is a 90 day program of free weights...its AMAZZZING. I swear by it! I've listened to what Chalene says...and followed...and seen major results. The program also has a few workouts dedicated to just your abs. I purchased some free weights (5,8,10,15,20) and have used all of those weights in the program. I also live in an upstairs apartment...and this workout is perfect because it can be done right there in a tiny livingroom. If you have any questions...message me. I'd love to explain more...just because it excites me as I've seen SO much success. (again with the capitals!...) Its called ChaLean Extreme...and you can probably find it on Ebay...thats where I found it. Normally it runs for like $100, but on Ebay you can usually get it for like $40 or something. Its worth it! Its 6 DVDs packed with great stuff. Plus, after the 90 day program there is a "Lean for Life" that you basically mix in a bunch of the workouts. There is a calendar to help out. Its great!

Sorry Banks...I know this was off topic a bit. I'll post my goals I promise!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

No.

So basically doing cardio and watching what I eat while doing some weight training will ultimately result in weight loss and definition... essentially?? What exactly do you mean by "functional fatigue"?

Functional fatigue means you can't perform one more rep with proper form because you are too fatigued--your muscles can no longer produce enough torque to move the weight.
    Fat loss will result in less fat between the muscle and the skin, so your muscle will be visible under the skin. Resistance helps maintain what muscle mass you have. You won't be building any in a caloric deficit. Whether you want to do lowER weight (not LOW, now EASY) or high weight is up to you. The point is that it needs to result in fatigue. You have to stop because you CAN'T do anymore, not just because you've done 15 reps.

I have never worked with a 'low weight, high rep' mentality. I have worked for endurance--burning out with 15 reps and a lowER weight. I have also worked for power--explosive plyometric movements and reaching fatigue with 1-5 really heavy reps. Either way, I am exhausting my muscles. There is no point to swinging a 5lb dumbbell around in the hopes of avoiding 'bullking' and building 'lean muscle'. All muscle is going to be the same--lean tissue. If you're building fat and muscle, it means that you're eating too much.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

well, there's a few things to take into account here, 1st is that women in general won't bulk up the way that men will, unless they are either taking steroids, are doing obscene amounts of weight and following almost unachievable routines, or have a hormone imbalance. Even natural female body builders won't show anywhere near the muscle mass that their male counterparts will, women just don't produce the testosterone needed to do this. And yeah, building muscle mass, whether that be in density or volume, will burn more fat just because muscle is active tissue, and requires calories even at rest.

So basically what I'm saying is that the concept of building mass vs toning is much more noticable in men than women, but it's still there. My statement was more to emphasize the concept of working to technical failure than to talk about rep amounts.

the other thing to remember is the concept of intramuscular fat, which is fat in and around muscle tissue. In scenario's where you work to failure (either via weight training or via some anaerobic HIIT type workout) it will be used first to resupply the muscle , which is nice if you have a lot of intramuscular fat, as that will "lean" you up pretty quickly. Although there's not really a ton of intramuscular fat on most people.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    My goals have been the same since I began my weight loss journey on November 8, 2008.

1. Weigh what I weighed on my wedding day, February 1t, 1975. 174 lbs. I now have 7 lbs left to achieve that goal.

2. Be able to wear a pair of Levis corduroy jeans that I saved from then and wore on my honeymoon. They have special meaning for my wife and I. I am now able to wear those pants comfortably.

3. Be off all prescription medicines for blood pressure, high cholesterol/trigycerides, and my pre-diabetes blood sugar level. My doctor has been able to take me ALL of the those medicines. I now have readings in the normal range for all of them.

Anything else I achieve from here on is just extra benefits of losing the excess weight.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Actually Banks, both obese and endurance athletes have comparable amounts of IMTGs, but they use them differently and the trigs themself cause an inflammatory response in the obese and not in the athletes. You won't see much IMTG use with explosive athletes because they don't utilize that energy system. You'll see more creatine and glycogen.

Toning is really a misnomer (an irritating one to me LOL). Tone actually refers to the quality of muscle contraction possible, or how many fibers are recruited in one contraction, maximal or submaximal. This increases as we become more trained, and is especially high in powerlifters who, while they may not have large amounts of muscle mass, have the neuromuscular faculties to recruit almost all of those fibers. Pound for pound, they're very strong.

Toning is MISused to mean increased muscle definition, which is a phenomenon that occurs independent of resistance training. We all have muscle mass, and we all can have visible definition if our body fat is low. It's easier to see if we have larger muscles due to hypertrophy from previous bulking sessions. But we aren't going to see hypertrophy at the same time as fat loss. So lifting for 'tone' has nothing to do with rep ranges unless we're discussing REAL tone, and then we need very low reps and very high weight.

Lifting to gain muscle mass has to result in lactic acid buildup to promote GH release, failure to ensure that we've recruited all the muscle fibers, and a caloric excess to make the contractile elements of the muscle thicker. This can happen in a man or a woman and be fully noticeable in either one.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Actually Banks, both obese and endurance athletes have comparable amounts of IMTGs, but they use them differently and the trigs themself cause an inflammatory response in the obese and not in the athletes. You won't see much IMTG use with explosive athletes because they don't utilize that energy system. You'll see more creatine and glycogen.

you're right, that's my bad, there's supposed to be a don't in there. Sometimes I don't double check what I write when I want to get it out there.

that line was supposed to read "which is fat in and around muscle tissue. In scenario's where you don't work to failure ..."
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options

well, there's a few things to take into account here, 1st is that women in general won't bulk up the way that men will, unless they are either taking steroids, are doing obscene amounts of weight and following almost unachievable routines, or have a hormone imbalance. Even natural female body builders won't show anywhere near the muscle mass that their male counterparts will, women just don't produce the testosterone needed to do this. And yeah, building muscle mass, whether that be in density or volume, will burn more fat just because muscle is active tissue, and requires calories even at rest.

So basically what I'm saying is that the concept of building mass vs toning is much more noticable in men than women, but it's still there. My statement was more to emphasize the concept of working to technical failure than to talk about rep amounts.

the other thing to remember is the concept of intramuscular fat, which is fat in and around muscle tissue. In scenario's where you work to failure (either via weight training or via some anaerobic HIIT type workout) it will be used first to resupply the muscle , which is nice if you have a lot of intramuscular fat, as that will "lean" you up pretty quickly. Although there's not really a ton of intramuscular fat on most people.

Thanks! And...thanks for putting it in words us "non scientific" exercise people can understand!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    Options
    As promised...I will get back on topic and share my goals. First, I think MFP is an amazing resource for me to track my goals, progress and successes. And people on this website help encourage, support, give advice, and supplement my weight loss very effectively. For me personally, I love making "big" and "mini" goals. My big goals typically are every 10 pound maker. And my mini goals are usually every 5 pounds. So far I have reached one of my big goals...which was to be 160 before Christmas. (yahoo!) Once I reached this goal, I told myself that I wanted to lose another 20 pounds, but I wanted to reach those goals at a little slower pace than the first goal. The following are things I will set out to do in order to accomplish my goals:

1) Adjust my guidlines to how much I want to lose on MFP, which is 20 more pounds, to be 140.
    2) Strength train 3 times a week (MWS)- and incorporate at LEAST 30 minutes of cardio before, work through my program and increase weights as instructed and as I can gain strength. I keep track of every weight I use for each exercise and how many reps I can do so I can track progress made.
    3) Increase my endurance running- Run 3 days a week, with at least 2 of those times being a 5 mile run. This goal will serve two purposes...help lose weight as well as train for a 10K this summer! yippiie!!
    4) Eat less processed foods, and gradually move to a cleaner-eating lifestyle. Eat out less.
    5) Take my rest days as needed & listen to my body.
    6) Save up and buy a HRM so that I can accurately track how many calories I am burning with each of my exercises.

Those are my general goals. I have a goal to lose 10 pounds by April 1st, which is just less than 3 pounds a month. For me, this is realistic. Once i reach that goal, my next is to lose the next 10 pounds (and the last 10 pounds) by July 31. After that, to maintain! I love goals, and what I love even more...is ACHIEVING them!! yahoo!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Wow,,, I haven’t thought about it in those kinds of terms for quite a while. I started out almost a year ago, and my goals were pretty clear. 200 pounds, and 34” waist jeans, that was it. As of today I have reached and exceeded my inches goal and got close to my weight goal. I made a decision a while back to not worry about the weight for a while, and to just concentrate on getting stronger and more fit. That’s gone pretty well. I’m now doing my arm curls and chest flies and several other exercises with 50 lbs, where I started with 25 or 30. I’m doing real pushups and situps and pullups and dips now.

So, all in all I'm pretty happy. Not satisfied, but happy. Now what?

So – goals from here. I want to continue eating what I’m eating with maybe just a bit more protein and continue gaining muscle mass and losing bodyfat. In the past 4 months I’ve been eating what should be a small deficit, but I’ve maintained weight. I’ve lost a couple inches off my waist, gained definition and strength and muscle mass. I want to continue that ‘til we get close to beach weather, then I’ll cut bodyfat and try to get to 10% and see what that looks like. It’s easier for me to cut in the summer, just more time for outdoor cardio. There’s just something about cold weather and short days that make you want to bulk up, so I’m gonna go with it and just build mass for the winter.

Goals:
    48” chest (now 45”) – 16” biceps (now 14.5”) – maintain 34” waist – by St. Patty’s Day. May get a little heavier.
    Cut weight to 200 even – cut waist to 32” – by my birthday July 7.
    Sometime this summer, ride bicycle to work a day or 3. 53 mile round trip.

I do have a plan to get there, but this has gone on long enough. Let’s do it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Wow,,, I haven’t thought about it in those kinds of terms for quite a while. I started out almost a year ago, and my goals were pretty clear. 200 pounds, and 34” waist jeans, that was it. As of today I have reached and exceeded my inches goal and got close to my weight goal. I made a decision a while back to not worry about the weight for a while, and to just concentrate on getting stronger and more fit. That’s gone pretty well. I’m now doing my arm curls and chest flies and several other exercises with 50 lbs, where I started with 25 or 30. I’m doing real pushups and situps and pullups and dips now.

So, all in all I'm pretty happy. Not satisfied, but happy. Now what?

So – goals from here. I want to continue eating what I’m eating with maybe just a bit more protein and continue gaining muscle mass and losing bodyfat. In the past 4 months I’ve been eating what should be a small deficit, but I’ve maintained weight. I’ve lost a couple inches off my waist, gained definition and strength and muscle mass. I want to continue that ‘til we get close to beach weather, then I’ll cut bodyfat and try to get to 10% and see what that looks like. It’s easier for me to cut in the summer, just more time for outdoor cardio. There’s just something about cold weather and short days that make you want to bulk up, so I’m gonna go with it and just build mass for the winter.

Goals:
    48” chest (now 45”) – 16” biceps (now 14.5”) – maintain 34” waist – by St. Patty’s Day. May get a little heavier.
    Cut weight to 200 even – cut waist to 32” – by my birthday July 7.
    Sometime this summer, ride bicycle to work a day or 3. 53 mile round trip.

I do have a plan to get there, but this has gone on long enough. Let’s do it.

LOL, C you got me all revved up to hear your strategy, then you teased us. I'm curious, what's the program?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    thbump2.gif

Steve, I'm adding this to "Links" ...great discussion everyone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again?page=53
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    LOL, C you got me all revved up to hear your strategy, then you teased us. I'm curious, what's the program?

First off - the foundation of everything else, 30 minutes of elliptical or bicycling just about every morning. Gotta get the cardio, I like having a resting pulse in the 50's, I think it's good for me. I also like the 400 exercise calories. I'm on 1,800 cals a day, which just ain't enough - but 2,200 is plenty if you cook intelligently.

3 days a week - in the afternoon or evening, I do a good heavy 2 set weights routine that's always evolving,,, adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing exercises as I feel like it. I generally combine this with some circuit training - so I do my first set of weights, then do a Jillian Michaels DVD, then do the second set of weights. I chase this with a protein shake, which I believe helps. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but I think it does and that's what counts. :laugh:

The other 3 days a week I grab some good exercise some other way. Just do the Jillian DVD, but I try to bring it a little harder, or get in a good long hard bike ride. I skip the protein after that one.

Weights routine right now,,, let's see.

Pullups to failure - currently 5/6
    Dips to failure - currently 12/13
    Lat raises to failure - currently 12/13
    Dumb rows w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 15ish.
    Shrugs w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 20ish
    Dumb curls w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 5/6
    Close grip bench presses w/100 lbs (tricep concentration), to failure - currently 12/13
    Dumb flies w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 15/18
    Dumb clean & press w/20 lbs - currently 20
    Seated concentration curl w/20 lb dumb, - currently 20ish.
    Dumb lunges w/2-50lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish.
    Calf raises w/2-50lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish.
    Dumb clean & presses w/2-20lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish.

That's it - go through that twice, chase with a protein shake. Yes, I know, a lot of upper body and not much leg work. I'm pretty satisfied with my legs, and the DVD's keep 'em tight. My thighs are lean and about 22" with good musculature, so it's Ok. I'm a mirror queen (:blushing: ) and I'll know if I start looking too out of balance.