ChiRunning

Options
I just started reading a book on ChiRunning. Anyone else tried this?

Replies

• jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I am getting the book -- have read little tidbits from it. Would love to hear what you think of it!
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    What is Chirunning????
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I borrowed it from the library and didn't get to read all of it, but I got the gyst of it. I read it about two months ago and it has improved my running so much! It really teaches you how to make running feel like less work, more effortless. After being stuck at the same pace for months and thinking about giving up running, I ran my first 10k last weekend and did much better than I thought I would, and I'm no longer having the knee pain that I used to have anytime I did a run that was longer than 45 minutes. My form still isn't perfect, and I asked for the book for Christmas so I can keep working on it.

There are lots of clips on youtube that will give you an idea of what the author is talking about.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What is Chirunning????
    ChiRunning is basically a different approach to running--a different way to look at it. The other paradigm would be what the author calls "power running". With ChiRunning he focuses on physics--moving the body in a way to maximize the pull of gravity and thus take away some of the muscle that usually goes with running in the power running style. You try to run more with your core and less with your legs/arm muscles being really engaged. He basically seems to believe that problems with form and not moving with the "chi" and the natural direction gravity wants your body to go, is the reason so many people suffer from injuries with running. The first thing I noticed when I picked up the book with the cover illustration. The runner on the front (the author, I think), is running with his heels kicking up way behind him and you can tell that his arms and body is really relaxed. For me, it felt totally different when I started running that way.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The book is a really interesting read, especially from a scientific point of view. I am only about 4 chapters in, but already you can tell it is going to work. I tried to think about some of the stuff that it goes over in my run this morning and I was much more relaxed and had no issues with my hip pain that I have from an injury in September.

I will have to check out youtube after I am done reading it. I have also borrowed it from the library for now and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the feedback.