Personal Trainers: Yea or Nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Most are useless. It's hard to understand their knowledge and experience if you don't know yourself. A decent sign is if they seem engaged with their clients. For instance, they're actually showing their client how to do the exercise, they're keeping a close I on their movement to make sure they're doing it right and/or coaching them through it, and pushing them to work hard.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I just hired one for eight sessions so that I can learn in particular how to use a good functional training system and also to work with some injuries I have. In addition she is going to help me target some muscles that I am not exercising effectively. It is expensive so after the initial eight sessions I will evaluate whether I need to continue or not. I am doing this as a way to mix things up and push in the right direction. All my workouts have been at home so I am a bit intimidated in the gym but heck, time to go for it!

So long answer to short question is yay, if it works for you and is motivating.
  • tkbronico
    Options
    I used a trainer once a week for 3 months and it was worth every penny (although you are right, it isn't cheap). He gave me a new workout every week, so now on my own I have a notebook of workouts to choose from. He taught me/had me do exercises that work together for the best outcome. I did things with him I would have never tried on my own, and succeeded. Yes, he pushed me and encouraged me, but more importantly he taught me a great deal. If I had to do it again I would make the same choice :-) Good luck!!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. I started lifting about 10 weeks ago so that's all I've been doing with her since then. I do do some lifting on my own as I know what I'm doing now and my form is pretty good, so I can understand why people would think that was a waste of money. However, for me, I really struggle with motivation so knowing that I have to keep my appointment with her guarantees that i go and do the workout, and she pushes me harder that I would ever push myself so I'm getting more out of what I'm doing. I also like having her there, I feel like I've got a friend there with me and we have a chat and a laugh about things whilst I'm resting between sets so it makes me enjoy the time more.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hire a personal trainer that knows about oly lifting.

Marshall White wrote an article called 'how to achieve strongy mchugeness' on LBEB that points out the need for a tailored program.

Though I'd be a little suspicious if she said your form was perfect on the first try. Squat and deadlift form can be pretty tricky and bite you if you mess it up.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym (Planet Fitness) is free. Granted you have to work around his schedule, but I have seen some benefit from it. I am going to do a Warrior Dash in 6 months and while I don't have any concerns over the 5k part of the event, I do have a concern over some of the strength exercises. I see the trainer on Monday mornings for upper body workout for 30 minutes and then repeat the session later in the week on my own. He knows more exercises than I do and keeps me doing them with the proper form. I don't know if I had to pay $40 a week for him if i would continue like I do (ok...I know I wouldn't be able to afford that every week), but since it is free, I would be stupid not to take advantage of his knowledge and help.