Earned calories/time limit?????

Options
Hello everyone!! I don't know if this has been asked and answered already, but I'm curious about the exercise calories earned. Is there a time limit as to when you shouldn't eat them? The best time for me to workout is in the evening so should I not eat these calories at night? For example, last night I got home around 8:00pm, then ate a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal at 9:00pm and went to bed around 10pm. Should I just not eat these calories since it's so late? Or what do you guys think?? Thanks :)

Replies

• breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    If oyu know that you are going to earn them, add them in through out your day. A bowl of raisin bran is fine after a work out. I usually have a bowl of cheerios and a banana after words. This is what my trainer has told me to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think eating them is better than not eating them, but it would be better to eat earlier, at least 3 hours before bed.
    Going forward you can plan and enter you workouts in advance and you will know and be able to eat at least some of the exercise calories before you hit the gym and possibly spread out throughout the day.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think too much emphisas is put on when, when it should be on how much. If you were under your calories for the day, or for the past two days for that matter, it doesn't matter when you eat. Especially if you just worked out.

I worked out at from 930 to 1030 pm last night, and had a gramola bar right after. Not my ideal time to do it, but it's better than not doing it at all.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    The body doesn't work on a 24hr clock, so you don't have to eat them that same night. It may affect your sleep. Everyone is different. I know it doesnt work for me to eat so late. If the next day you are really hungry...then you can throw in some extra calories.
  • loriguegel
    Options
    Great thanks so much. This has been bugging me for a while. Definately makes sense to eat them during the day if I plan on working out, or try to eat atleast 3hrs before bed. Hmmmm, I think this is doable :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    While there's truth to the statement that the body does not work on a 24 hour clock. There is something called the circadian rhythm, which governs when our bodies wake, and sleep, and generally keeps track of our metabolic rates throughout a day. So Yeah, you can eat it later if that's how your body has adjusted, but it is usually a good idea to give your body at least an hour (preferably 2 hours) between your last large meal and your full sleep cycle, as your metabolism slows during that period, and any excess glucose in the system is more apt to be stored as fat.
  • loriguegel
    Options
    PHEW!! Honestly, I kind of thought that if I just worked out it shouldn't be to much of a big deal. I am just really focused and am trying really hard to do this right.

I just started this work out regime and counting my calories etc. and there is so much information on this site, sometimes I don't know which way to go. Should I? shouldn't I?... things I would never think about before, I see I am obsessing over.

Thanks so much again.
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    While there's truth to the statement that the body does not work on a 24 hour clock. There is something called the circadian rhythm, which governs when our bodies wake, and sleep, and generally keeps track of our metabolic rates throughout a day. So Yeah, you can eat it later if that's how your body has adjusted, but it is usually a good idea to give your body at least an hour (preferably 2 hours) between your last large meal and your full sleep cycle, as your metabolism slows during that period, and any excess glucose in the system is more apt to be stored as fat.

I second that!!!
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you KNOW you will exercise, then just add them in through the day. Or skip eating them one night, and add that many in the next morning. That way, if you miss exercising that day, you were still eating earned calories.
    If you are going to eat before bed, I'd snack on something other than cereal. I have heard nuts are good, but be careful you don't go overboard. Processed foods that include wheat and other starches are not the best evening snacks. On the other hand, my S.O. eats Honey Nut Cheerois for his cholesterol, and he is still dropping pounds. I tend to be carb sensitive, as are alot of people, so I stick with protein and veggies and fat free cheese and maybe cashews in the evening. (But I have to bag my cashews in individual snack bags as soon as I bring them home from the store, so I don't exceed the reasonable portion.)
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I don't know if this has been asked and answered already, but I'm curious about the exercise calories earned. Is there a time limit as to when you shouldn't eat them? The best time for me to workout is in the evening so should I not eat these calories at night? For example, last night I got home around 8:00pm, then ate a bowl of Raisin Bran cereal at 9:00pm and went to bed around 10pm. Should I just not eat these calories since it's so late? Or what do you guys think?? Thanks :)

I absolutely love a bowl of raisin bran after a workout! YUM!