Vegans

Options
Any fellow vegans out there? Or at least vegetarians? What are your recipes? I'm always looking for new new new !!!

Replies

• reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday with some faux bacon and it was amazing. I used frozen butternut squash though, tons easier.
    I also didn't use the nut. yeast. And added rosemary.

Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Risotto
    serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 to 1/2-inch pieces
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup rice
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 tbsp chopped rosemary

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on medium. Add onion and faux bacon; season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally about 5 minutes. Once browned at squash and soy milk if needed.
    Heat vegetable broth in a separate pot on low.
    Add rice to saucepan with onions and squash, stir to coat for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
    Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup hot broth mixture. Cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until absorbed. The whole process takes about 40 minutes.
    Once creamy and rice is fully cooked, stir in the rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.

You can put in oven also, typically 350 for 2 hours
  • steenslaw
    Options
    I'm newly vegan...10 days and counting. I love the blog for Fat free Vegan. She's got great stuff.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've recently become the oddest combo of vegetarian/peskitarian/vegan.

Most my food is raw and vegan but on the rare occasion (after 7 years without) I'll throw in an egg or eat some salmon.

Gotta say, you should really try out some vegan BAKING. So much fun!

I've got some really nice vegan friendly smoothie recipes if you're interested ever.

New dinner meal recipe favourite: Spaghetti squash.
  • natalieakyzer
    natalieakyzer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been vegan for over 2 years now. Some of my favorite websites are: yourveganmom, vegandad, and the happyherbivore.
  • natalieakyzer
    natalieakyzer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love that site too.
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cindy31548
    Options
    Whole foods has some pretty tasty vegan recipes on their site.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    also

findingvegan.com
    foodgawker.com (search for vegan)
    and veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
  • K179
    K179 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan.. Looking into it though. Thanks for the tips! :)
  • sbarney77
    sbarney77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been veggie for 20 years or so, slightly obsessed by Quinoa Chilli at the moment - great when first cooked and awesome in wraps the next day.

Good recipe here: http://www.vegangela.com/2011/05/27/vegan-quinoa-chili/

although I tend to just put the rinsed quinoa in after the frying stage with double volume of stock and cook for 20 - 25 mins (watch for it catching at the end - add more water if needed).
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Portabella with pesto!

Just marinate portabella caps in pesto, then grill.
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi

I turned Veggie on 1st September & plan to turn vegan on 1st October. I have stopped buying dairy, but am just finishing off anything that I have already bought.

I know I will struggle as I am a really fussy eater & don't like a lot of foods which are probably staple foods to most vegans.
  • MyHerbaLiving
    Options
    I've been Vegan for awhile (a carb loading, unhealthy one....I know, I know). 2 months ago I cut all that horrible crap out and finally took advantage of what living a Vegan lifestyle can entail.

I found this blog awhile ago and fell in love. She incorporates a lot of raw food but you can always tweak it. Check it out if you like....

http://rawfoodlove.blogspot.com/
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    High Raw/High Fiber/Near Vegan - looking for veggie friends on here! Drop me a note/request :)