always gifts of food

AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have noticed recently that as a present or a celebration peopel always give gifts of food (and not fruits and veggies either) and I thought to myself, wow I do that too.

Yesterday my husband saw one of our elderly neighbors was trying to move in a huge carpet role with his wife. Being the kind hearted person that he is, he ran down the street and helped them move it in and move their old one out. They were so happy he came home with 32 cookies (yup 32) and an entire meatloaf. It was very very sweet but of course, food!

Today in my mailbox at work (I teach) we get a bag of candy to celebrate exams from the PTA. (I logged a couple pieces and gave the rest away).

and I do it as well, we bought a house a couple months ago and to get to know the neighbors I just took them over christmas cookies. To be polite and friendly, of course.

Its amazing how much we use food in our culture.

Any ideas for things you can use as gifts besides food in some of these situations. Not sure why I am posting really, just had a realization!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I find it hard to get away from this. When you don't know what else to give you realize everyone has to eat. Right? I don't have any ideas to switch to but I agree that it is a big thing to do. Especially this time of year. Every time I go into our lunch room at work there are a plate of goodies of some kind.
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    I think we use food because it's cheap, easy to find, and everybody needs it.

Try flowers or a small potted plant. Just about everyone has Christmas themed ones on sale now. I know that's only good for indeviduals though......for groups I'll come back when I have a good idea.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    We used to use food, then had a daughter born with severe food issues, at 4.5 she ate her first food and only has 5 safe foods to date. Needless to say we starting moving away form food.

Now I buy a bunch of inexpensive christmas ornaments and give those out. No calories and last forever!!!!
  • I agree and have noticed the same thing! Social events and celebrations usually revolve around food and alcohol in many cultures. If you can't think of anything else to contribute or give, you could contribute a food that is healthy and fits into your diet. Then, (at a party) not only do others have the option to choose a healthier snack but you can stay within your calorie range too. Or (as a gift), they aren't faced with the same thing you are now: what to do with all the sweets! Some examples are nuts, popcorn, homemade fruit baskets, bran muffins, banana bread, or fresh squeezed juice (for cocktails or parties).
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    We used to use food, then had a daughter born with severe food issues, at 4.5 she ate her first food and only has 5 safe foods to date. Needless to say we starting moving away form food.

Now I buy a bunch of inexpensive christmas ornaments and give those out. No calories and last forever!!!!

I like that idea! That is fun! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.