Almond milk

Options

Replies

• nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's the most delicious thing ever. I prefer it over Milk nowadays!
    I'm scared to try it. I am a huge milk lover but it doesn't make me feel very good, especially in the mornings. Is almond milk a good replacement? I'm just curious what others think of it.....
  • Solisci
    Solisci Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I buy the Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It only has 30 calories per serving. I don't drink it by itself but I really like it over cereal and I also use it instead of creamer in my coffee. The unsweetened takes a little getting used to because of cow's milk being sweeter, so it you are going directly from drinking cow's milk to almond milk you may want to try the sweetened kind first.

i agree, it takes a little getting use to. I made the switch almost 15 years ago, started off with soymilk now almond milk- great alternative especially when making shakes or eating cereal. I also do not drink alone, has a slight bitter taste, well the unsweetened one does.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I am a weirdo for this but I can't stand it! lol! I can kind of tolerate the dark chocolate almond milk but there's something about the texture and the after taste that gags me out. Same with coconut milk. Give me dairy or give me death! lol!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Silk and Blue Diamond both have an "original" formula that is 60 cals per serving and a little sweet, I would recommend that to try first. I don't really like it as a milk sub, but I do like it, and mixed with frozen blueberries and half banana it is sublime.
    I am looking for a kind with protein though, I have mixed protein powder with almond milk and it is good.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like all the Blue Diamond ones, I tend to use the unsweetened original more for cooking than anything else, my husband like the Vanilla (sweetened) better than regular milk, he didn't even have an issue with milk and switched just because it tasted better.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I tear up some almond milk. This is my go to brand; http://www.silkpurealmond.com/
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to try it. I am a huge milk lover but it doesn't make me feel very good, especially in the mornings. Is almond milk a good replacement? I'm just curious what others think of it.....

I say no. I love almond milk, but not as a sub for milk as almond milk has less than 1 gram of protein/serving whereas milk has 8.

I drink cow milk for the protein as well. If it's making you feel sick though in the morning then give the Almond a try.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i made the switch to save a few grams of sugar in my coffee, i still love milk but dont miss it at all in my coffee, try it! almond breeze unsweetened vanilla is my fave
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I prefer organic vanilla soy milk. Kroger sells a good one called simple truth.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tried the unsweetened vanilla almond milk and found it a bit watery... so I'm sticking with my light regular (unflavored) soy milk. Since starting MFP, it's amazing what I think is too sweet now - I used to LOVE the light vanilla soy, but now I find it far too sweet...

Don't be scared... try it. If you hate it, don't drink any more. It won't kill you and you might like it.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    I switched to almond milk last week, and I'm happy I did. I substituted skim milk for chocolate almond milk, which I put in cereal, coffee, or just drink on its own. Quite delish.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't have dairy issues nor do I ever drink a glass of milk (maybe once or twice a year), but I really prefer the Silk Original Unsweetened Almond milk to most others; especially in cereal.
  • Cellina
    Cellina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Silk almond milk last night. I love it! It actually reminds me of ice cream. Yum!!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    LOVE me some vanilla and chocolate almond milk! :smooched:

I was a skeptic like you. I was a whole milk drinker(the horror) now almond milk unsweetened is my FAV!
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have been converted to this for about a month now.
    It is perfect to mix my protein powder into. Also really tasty on muesli.
    Nice to have a cup to drink also.
    The taste is kinda unusual to begin with, but love it!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We like it, but still buy a container of regular milk each week as well. I like regular milk in my coffee, but dig the almond milk in my protein shakes, with cereal, etc. We always go with the unsweetened, and switch between regular, vanilla, and coconut blends, regularly, just to keep things interesting. :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I used to love almond milk until I found out how they mistreat the almonds. Apparently there is a real problem with over-milking. Also, the machinery that attaches to the little almond teats are not almond-friendly.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use the original unsweetened blue diamond almond milk - only 40 calories per cup!

I have to say though, that I do not like it straight. I usually use it for protein shakes or with certain types of cereal.

Experiment and see how you like it!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i really like the sweetened vanilla flavored almond milk -- i can drink it straight from the jug! i haven't tried cooking with it, i just put it in smoothies and cereal, but i like it a lot more than cow's milk. it's a little sweet for most cereals (especially those horribly delicious frosted things) so sometime's i'll use half a cup of the almond milk and cut it with a quarter cup of 1% milk. i tried the unsweetened coconut/almond milk blend and i didn't care for it, it tasted sort of like dusty water to me.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    About four years ago I switched to soy milk b/c of migraines; it took a long time to get used to (my husband accidentally drink my coffee and nearly threw up)

Last year; I switched to Almond milk (I buy Silk Unsweetened - 30 calories); my husband ran out of his regular milk and tasted my Almond milk and thought it was okay; so he used it in his milk and cereal until he could go get some of his skim milk)

I love my almond milk and won't drink anything else :)

PS - I also tried Rice milk (it gave me a belly ache)
    I tried Coconut milk...it tasted horrible in coffee