getting discouraged!

Options
i feel like this weight should be coming off much faster! i've technically lost 10 lbs so far (only three while being on MFP)...but i'm being really hard on myself today. i work SO hard to eat right, work out, and practice self-control in general. it just seems like it is 100x EASIER to put on weight than to take it off. i can seriously gain five pounds in ONE day, but it takes literally WEEKS of me busting my @ss for me to lose that much. i'm not gonna give up, but i feel like i'm doing something wrong or letting myself down in some way. idk...can anyone here relate?

Replies

• GreeneyedMom4
    GreeneyedMom4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate. Only lost half a pound in a week and that was with doing all the right things. The key is not to give up. It takes so much longer for your body to lose the weight than to gain it. You have to keep at it. Eventually, little by little you will lose the weight and be so thankful in the long run that you did the right thing. We all have those days where we need extra motivation. That is what we are here for, helping each other push through those tough moments. Don't give up on yourself.
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes I can relate. Only lost half a pound in a week and that was with doing all the right things. The key is not to give up. It takes so much longer for your body to lose the weight than to gain it. You have to keep at it. Eventually, little by little you will lose the weight and be so thankful in the long run that you did the right thing. We all have those days where we need extra motivation. That is what we are here for, helping each other push through those tough moments. Don't give up on yourself.

thank you <333
  • heatherlynn1223
    Options
    Don't get discouraged keep pushing yourself. some weeks I lose a 1/2lb sometimes 1lb, sometimes nothing at all. Also water weight can flucuate up to 5lbs. Don't give up!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your frustration. I always said I could look at a chocolate chip cookie and gain 5 pounds. It always amazes me how few calories I burn with some of my workouts (according to MFP), and then I eat a handful of cashews and get them all back! But it's a lifestyle change, not a quick-fix diet, so keep it in perspective. I've been at this just over 100 days, and finally reached my first goal of losing 20 pounds, which averages 0.2 pounds per week. But there were many weeks I didn't lose at all or even saw the scale go up a bit. Then all of a sudden it would be down a pound. But I'm down two pants sizes, just gave half my closet to a coworker, and have been exercising every day so I feel and look stronger. Keep your eyes on not only the big prize, but the smaller ones along the way. You can do it!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I understand your frustration. My entire weight loss "journey" has been more like a 9 month plateau with an occasional surprise pound dropping off. I stay within my calorie goals, eat a low carb, low sodium, low sugar diet, and work out 3-5 days a week. And I have lost...wait for it...a whopping 13 pounds in 9 months. On average I won't lose anything for 2-3 months at at time, no matter what I do. Sometimes I gain weight for no apparent reason (and I drink a ton of water so I can't always say it's water weight). I have hypothyroidism and I know it's a contributor to my metabolism issues, but I keep on going, day after day. Overall, I know I'm healthier and more fit - and really, isn't that why we are doing this? Keep doing what you are doing - it is worth it! :smile:
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I had lost about 12-15 pounds over 5 months of eating well, exercising, etc, and then I was a bit lazy this summer and BOOM 10 pounds right back on. Argh. Here I go again...
  • jensauce
    Options
    thank you all so much for your responses. i think i'm just getting too hung up on what the scale shows...i just did a bit of stretching, and i noticed a great improvement in my oblique area! i used to have 3 or 4 rolls when i bent to one side, and now there's only one roll and my sides feel noticeably more firm! so yay! i'm going to STOP weighing myself every day because i think i'm getting obsessive over what the scale reads and not actually focusing on the improvements that show in my body. thanks again for the support and comments! we can do this! =)
  • Gatominx
    Gatominx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I need to stop getting on the scale every morning too!
  • jenneal89
    Options
    thank you all so much for your responses. i think i'm just getting too hung up on what the scale shows...i just did a bit of stretching, and i noticed a great improvement in my oblique area! i used to have 3 or 4 rolls when i bent to one side, and now there's only one roll and my sides feel noticeably more firm! so yay! i'm going to STOP weighing myself every day because i think i'm getting obsessive over what the scale reads and not actually focusing on the improvements that show in my body. thanks again for the support and comments! we can do this! =)

Agree! Also measure yourself because it's more accurate. I measure myself every day but need to stop as well! I lost quite a bit if weight after I had my daughter (the first 8m or so) and the last year I've only lost 10lbs. But I've lost 3in from my stomach and 1in from my upper thighs in the last 45 days so I track inches :)
  • jensauce
    Options

Agree! Also measure yourself because it's more accurate. I measure myself every day but need to stop as well! I lost quite a bit if weight after I had my daughter (the first 8m or so) and the last year I've only lost 10lbs. But I've lost 3in from my stomach and 1in from my upper thighs in the last 45 days so I track inches :)

that is a GREAT idea, i totally need to get myself a tape measure!