Exercise with the flu?

Options
So I want to get back on the treadmill,since I have been slacking for the last 2 weeks,
but I'm not sure,because now at the beginning of this 3rd week I am now sick with the flu,
what do you think is best for me? :S

Replies

• MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    If it's the neck and up-- it's usually okay to workout. If it's the neck and down-- wait it out. If you are running fever-- I'd say rest.

If you have the flu, in all honesty, rest.

I'm the worlds worst about pushing myself to the limits when I am sick, but it's best to listen to your body. If your body is telling you to slow down and rest, listen to it.

Hope you get better soon...
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    So how long have you had the flu? Even if you feel like going, please don't, because you can spread that all around the gym. Exercise makes your mucous thicker, so you will be more likely to cough, dispensing your little germs out into the waiting airways of others :) If you're working out at home, and don't have a fever, go for it.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always feel better if I do 15-20 minutes of very very light cardio when I'm sick. Nothing Heavy at all, walking or jogging at a very slow pace.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Ya i've always heard if your sick you shouldnt do much. Your body's busy fighting viruses and trying to get better, I think you should let it do it's thing. Drink lots of a water, go for a light walk or something but....when your sick, listen to your body like everyone else said!! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I find doing a light yoga or walk when I don't feel well helps me feel better. I agree with others, if you are sick don't go to the gym and give it to everyone else.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It depends on how severe your flu is. If it's minor, and you feel well enough, a light workout would be fine. If you have a fever or are very sick, obviously you would just want to rest. I've only gotten in a couple workouts over the past 3 weeks thanks to a persistent chest cold (which I need to get checked out, because after 3 weeks it's feeling like more than a cold), and it's frustrating as heck.