Eating When Not Hungry??????

I am looking for some diet buddies because I am really trying to figure out and understand why I keep eating even when I’m not hungry or wanting to eat even after I have already eaten. I don’t understand what that’s about. I was hoping you can give me some ideas on how to handle or at least understand why I eat when I’m not really hungry. What are some of the things you do to get pass this and what do you do instead of eating?

I think I do well when I have someone or a few people to compete with. I need someone I can weigh in with and report it to every Monday. If I don’t lose the ten pounds a month or the three pounds a week, I am hoping we can give each other pointers on how to get pass the areas we are having trouble with.

Replies

• Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    I used to eat when i was bored and what i call mouth hungry where you want something to chew so i chew gum
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    I over ate out of stress, mostly. I'd come home from work, dead tired, and would just sit there like a zombie and eat mindlessly. I'd eat and eat even long after I felt physically full. When I started going through a bag of chips in one sitting I realized that there was something wrong. Now I go to the gym after work, I spend those hours working out and release some of my stress that way. I feel better, to tell you the truth.

I will not offer to be your work out buddy and compete because I don't need the extra pressure. I already feel sad about the fact that I'm working my butt off - quite literally :grumble: - but I'm not losing weight as quickly as I would like to. Ironically I am losing the 2 lbs a week I signed up for, just spread out differently.

I do wish you good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • For me, it was just a habit. Habits are hard to break! If you are used to sitting down in the evening and watching tv while you snack (that was my worst thing so that's why I use it as an example) then try doing something else at that time. I started doing my work outs at 8pm for several weeks to break the habit. It worked. These days I work out earlier in the day and when I sit down to watch tv in the evening I no longer feel the need to snack while I watch since I broke the connection.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    There are many Groups that have date specific weight loss goals and require weekly weigh-ins. So check the Groups and see which one you think you'd like.

People eat for all sorts of reasons:

-Stress
    -Happiness
    -Comfort around any sort of negative emotion
    -Habit
    -Boredom/as entertainment

If you can get an idea why you are eating, it's easier to come up with a way to get around it and change your ways.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    It's a matter of changing the relationship with food. Not at all easy to do, but it can certainly be done :) It was a gradual process for me, but I committed for real and did not really back out yet. Just go back to the very basics of your day to day routine, understand your own patterns, what you do, why you do it. It includes everything like exercise, sleep and eating habits.

Also don't think that paying attention to what you eat and enjoying great food is mutually exclusive, I find it to be quite the opposite in fact. Once you get a grasp on your habits and gain control back, you'll probably enjoy food even more :)

It can be done, and can be enjoyed too! Good luck!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    It really can be hard to tell the difference at first if you are actually hungry or just want to eat.

Here's some of how I try to figure out the difference, and how I deal with it: When I log my food, I also log the time I eat. If I eat the rights types and amounts of foods (lots of protein, some good fats, stay away from too much processed sugar) then I know, in my mind that I can go for at least a few hours after that without my body requiring food again. So lets say I want to eat, and I look at my log and just an hour or two ago I had a meal that, according to the numbers, should fuel my body for a few hours.... then I know the hunger is in my head. Sure, I still have the feeling, but i have something for my mind to hold on to, some TRUTH that I can use to combat the thought: "I wanna eat something"

Does it always work? no. BUT, when I can't convince myself to resist, at least I can go into it knowing that my body is fueled, so if I absolutely need to satisfy my munchies, I have something small to satisfy my senses just enough, and that's it.

I'm sure everyone has their own strategy, but that's what works for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!