14 biggest weight training mistakes

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/strength-and-power-training/The-14-Biggest-Weight-Training-Mistakes.html

I have read through the whole thing yet. I just love a list and thought I'd share.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I love the pictures! All solids points (except I think 8-12 reps still have their places).

Oh and converse make great weight lifting shoes if you don't want to spend the money on the brands they suggested.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Power cleans FTW!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    That site is also an example the 14 biggest website design mistakes.

:(
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member

Yeah. It was pretty cumbersome.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

Yeah. It was pretty cumbersome.

They do that crap to increase the number of advertising impressions. Tsk tsk.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The biggest weight training mistake you can make is reading dumb articles about weight lifting mistakes. I certainly appreciate the attempt to share a mainstream article with the class. But this type of article IMO epitomizes everything that is wrong about fitness articles in the popular press.

The main failure is the narrow-minded groupthink--the attempt to stuff everyone into the same box--all too often a silly crossfit box.

It's not that any one of the recommendations is necessarily bad or wrong--it's just that they are presented as being the "best" choice for everyone--which is patently absurd.

The recommendations also reflect only one philosophy and one definition of "training", "goals", "benefits", etc, etc. In fact, there are many routines out there -- some incorporating the "mistakes" listed in this article -- that would be more valid for certain individuals than the ideas described.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    The biggest weight training mistake you can make is reading dumb articles about weight lifting mistakes. I certainly appreciate the attempt to share a mainstream article with the class. But this type of article IMO epitomizes everything that is wrong about fitness articles in the popular press.

The main failure is the narrow-minded groupthink--the attempt to stuff everyone into the same box--all too often a silly crossfit box.

It's not that any one of the recommendations is necessarily bad or wrong--it's just that they are presented as being the "best" choice for everyone--which is patently absurd.

The recommendations also reflect only one philosophy and one definition of "training", "goals", "benefits", etc, etc. In fact, there are many routines out there -- some incorporating the "mistakes" listed in this article -- that would be more valid for certain individuals than the ideas described.
    Care to be more specific? It seemed generic enough for me, for general advice and every point was correct as far as I can see.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member

Care to be more specific? It seemed generic enough for me, for general advice and every point was correct as far as I can see.
    The problem is that they are offering advice without taking into account the context (i.e. individual and their goal). Because a lot of those "mistakes" are not actually mistakes given the right conditions. In other words, what azdak said.
    i.e. mistake #14. The notion that you should never go above 5 reps in a given set is ridiculous.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member

The problem is that they are offering advice without taking into account the context (i.e. individual and their goal). Because a lot of those "mistakes" are not actually mistakes given the right conditions. In other words, what azdak said.
    i.e. mistake #14. The notion that you should never go above 5 reps in a given set is ridiculous.
    I agree that not going above 5 is ridiculous but the general notion is spot on. Rather than quoting a magic number, it should've been more generic.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Right, but there are valid reasons to go to much higher rep-ranges as well. It will just depend. And on top of that, rep ranges aren't mutually exclusive. It can be beneficial to combine multiple rep-ranges in a given workout.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member

Yep, not interested in clicking 14 times
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Lots of decent common sense stuff in there. Too bad most of it is ignored by the vast majority.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    #14 - I disagree with that. I think it's a good idea to exercise with a range of reps, I will often go in and do 12 rep sets on a given exercise and I'll throw in some 4-6 rep sets as well. If I do nothing but 5 rep sets I don't feel like I have done enough, personally.

#13 - I don't think doing muscle isolation moves is a mistake per say, but I do believe doing compound moves is generally far more worthwhile than doing straight isolation moves.

#12 - Definitely agree, huge mistake to avoid things you are bad at.

#11 - Really depends on your fitness goals, so I wouldn't necessarily call long runs a mistake.

#10 - Pretty much have to agree, playgrounding with reckless abandon usually ends up feeling like a wasted workout

#9 - Can't really disagree though people need to learn proper form and how to avoid injury before doing Olympic lifting (and actually, any kind of weight training honestly)

#8 - True, it is tougher to work out (and be motivated to work out) when tired.

#7 - I can't really speak on this, I've never worked out with wood-soled shoes but I've never had a problem with the cheapies I wear, either.

#6 - Free training is better but that doesn't necessarily mean using a machine here or there is a mistake.

#5 - Solo lifting isn't necessarily a mistake, but it can be a hindrance when you want to push your limits if you don't have someone to spot you on exercises that are better to have spotting.

#4 - Truth

#3 - Truth

#2 - Truth

#1 - Truth

tl;dr: #1-4 are spot on, a lot of the rest are kind of iffy on if they can truly be considered mistakes.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    #14 - I disagree with that. I think it's a good idea to exercise with a range of reps, I will often go in and do 12 rep sets on a given exercise and I'll throw in some 4-6 rep sets as well. If I do nothing but 5 rep sets I don't feel like I have done enough, personally.

#13 - I don't think doing muscle isolation moves is a mistake per say, but I do believe doing compound moves is generally far more worthwhile than doing straight isolation moves.

#12 - Definitely agree, huge mistake to avoid things you are bad at.

#11 - Really depends on your fitness goals, so I wouldn't necessarily call long runs a mistake.

#10 - Pretty much have to agree, playgrounding with reckless abandon usually ends up feeling like a wasted workout

#9 - Can't really disagree though people need to learn proper form and how to avoid injury before doing Olympic lifting (and actually, any kind of weight training honestly)

#8 - True, it is tougher to work out (and be motivated to work out) when tired.

#7 - I can't really speak on this, I've never worked out with wood-soled shoes but I've never had a problem with the cheapies I wear, either.

#6 - Free training is better but that doesn't necessarily mean using a machine here or there is a mistake.

#5 - Solo lifting isn't necessarily a mistake, but it can be a hindrance when you want to push your limits if you don't have someone to spot you on exercises that are better to have spotting.

#4 - Truth

#3 - Truth

#2 - Truth

#1 - Truth

tl;dr: #1-4 are spot on, a lot of the rest are kind of iffy on if they can truly be considered mistakes.

I agree - for the most part there's a lot of truth in these - some of them are fairly general in nature but the base truth is stil there