How do you stay motivated during your workout?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I find it is all mental usually with me. My mind is telling me I'm tired and should stop. Some times I stop and other times I keep going. When I keep going I'm like well my body could do it, my mind just didn't want to and I surprise myself at how much I did. So I think it is important to have goals during your workout to reach and just think of positive things and all the changes you can make if you keep going.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I do something I freaking LOVE to do. It might take a while once you find it, but once you've found something you enjoy doing, you'll never want to stop.

Try something new! Mix it up! Try a new sport every month until you've found the right one for you.

Life is too short to do something you don't enjoy doing.
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is music for SURE for me. Once my smartphone was being wonky and not playing music and I seriously just turned around and left the gym without working out and came back later lol. I can't even stand it without music. I do interval type training on the cardio machines, with alternating slow/ high resistance, fast/ low resistance or high incline/low incline, whatever. I use the music to keep track and the time flys. I do about 45 minutes avg.

I think swapping up machines can help quite a bit also!

If you are looking for music, try some of the fitness mix stuff you can get it everywhere. The best part about it is that they are organized by Beats Per Minute to help with pacing ;D

I also have unlimited red light therapy at my gym, which costs a fortune at the local tanning salon, and I never let myself go to get the red light therapy without working out first so its like a little built in treat.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm a little weird (OCD maybe) and like round numbers. When I'm on the treadmill or bike my gaze is locked onto the timer and I tell myself I'm keeping going for the next 10, 20, 30 minutes etc. Has to be a round number, so if my wall comes at 56:28... I go til 60:00.

Yeah, told you I was weird. :tongue:

EDIT to add: Also, if I'm listening to music, it helps when a song comes on that either makes me pumped up or makes me feel sexy ;)
    And the thought of the looks on peoples' faces when I reach my goal.
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Music, music, music. When I feel like I can't go on I shift my attention to the tunes coming from my mp3. A wandering mind is a great focal tool if that makes any sense.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i watch tv while i use the elliptical for 30 min. when i hit the 20 min mark, i feel like i am almost done and just tell myself, u can do 10 more and start a weird little countdown as i glance at the time, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6... 'til i'm done.
  • giorgiomera
    Options
    Two things, killer music and a good pre-workout :) I'm currently using BSN Hyper-FX
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think of delicious snacks waiting for me after my workout:)
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I think of that beer I've earnt after working off enough calories to be able to enjoy one :drinker:
  • Mephinox
    Options
    The treadmills and stationary bikes in my gym have built in TV's and slots to plug your Ipod/headphones in. Its just like watching TV at home except you need to power it by running/cycling.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    Find a routine or an 'activity' that you truly enjoy.
    For me its Zumba.
    I love dancing so thats the perfect Cardio for me.. I dont get tired of it I have many routines on DVD and it just feels like dancing around but sweating and burning calories like hell !! :)
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I make sure I want to do the exercise I'm doing, for starters. For example, if I want to walk for my exercise in three days in a row, I'll do it. But the next day I might be in the mood for tennis or swimming.

Also, while I'm exercising, I DO NOT LOOK AT THE CLOCK. The clock is the enemy, and I only check it if I'm walking and doing laps around the park. (So I can keep track of how fast I'm walking for logging). Otherwise, NO CLOCK. Something that also helps is having someone to talk to. If you're walking alone, listen to an audiobook. You'll be more focused on finishing chapters than clock staring.

For sports, I keep track of points. For example, when I play tennis, I keep track of when we're tied and such because sometimes I'll be tied, one of us will score a point and then the other will tie us up again. It can really eat up the minutes. Bottom line is, incorporate FUN into your workout.