COFFEE

Options
My doctor just told me a great way to lose a little weight is to start drinking my coffee black (bc i love my cream and sugar). I have yet to try a flavor of coffee that I like well enough to drink continuously black....any suggestions?

Replies

• Beautiful189
    Options
    coffeemate.
  • LittleCanary
    Options
    Flavoured coffees are great fun to experiment with. I don't know if you have Beanies where you are, but I got their orange liqueur coffee not that long ago and it's gorgeous! :) Vanilla, hazelnut and Irish cream flavoured coffees seem to be the most commonly found flavours though, so maybe some of them would be worth a try.

If you absolutely can't go without your cream and sugar in the coffee though, maybe try substituting them with skimmed milk and an artificial sweetener?
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    I just use powdered, regular coffeemate and stevia. I gave up the milk first, and it wasn't that hard. Took about two days to get used to each, but now I don't miss them at all.
  • Candywoodroof
    Options
    I really enjoy my coffee. It is one of the best parts of my day. I also like cream and sugar too. What I have done as I try to lose weight is I have measured my half and half (like 2 Tbsp) and my sugar (1 Tbsp). I think that is not too bad for a good cup of coffee. If you really want to cut back, start slow and slowly cut back. You will eventually not even notice it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am thankful I was raised on black coffee! :bigsmile: I always drink my morning coffee black - iced coffee, now that's another story. :tongue:

But yeah, for my home-brewed morning coffee, it has to be a good quality coffee, not too weak, and not too bold (I can't drink black coffee from Starbucks shops - have to add cream!). My favorite is Peet's - I buy it whenever I find it on sale, or the big bag from Costco. Starbucks is my second choice for home brew, and I can drink it black if I brew it myself - I like it strong, but not as thick as they make it in-store!

If you're accustomed to cream and sugar, I imagine it will take some time to wean yourself off of it. But a good quality coffee that you like the flavor of is a good start.

Good luck!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black and stir in a little cinnamon or pure vanilla extract. Once you do it for a few days you get used to it.
  • dandaninc
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you drink your coffee as long as you track the cream and sugar. :drinker:

I do love black coffee but that is so I can eat more of everything else throughout the day.
  • leska1216
    Options
    There is nothing to compare to good robust flavourful coffee. Try VanHoutte French Roast or MJB French Roast (red can) or if stuck, Maxwell House Dark Roast.

I personally don't like flavoured coffees. The flavours are artificial. leave an after taste, and mask the taste of the coffee.

Just plain good black coffee. Nothing else.
  • leska1216
    Options
    It doesn't matter how you drink your coffee as long as you track the cream and sugar. :drinker:

The same is true for all drinks such as coffee, tea, hot chocolates, ice coffees, lattes, etc etc etc. And smoothies/shakes, too.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you totally get used to drinking it black.
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

The same is true for all drinks such as coffee, tea, hot chocolates, ice coffees, lattes, etc etc etc. And smoothies/shakes, too.

I love my cream and sugar too. when i started cutting back, i used an artificial sweetner and sugar-free creamer. once you drink it consistantly it gets better. i do like the french vanilla donut shop brand for drinking it black. you can purchase it a walmart supercenter. However, sometimes i just switch to a Hot Herbal Tea. I can drink that plain with no problems. my favorite is the bigelow orange & spice.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just log the cream.
  • jerendeb
    jerendeb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    BLACK Coffee everyday since I was at least 22.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just use cream and no sugar, and only the serving size. I can drink it black sometimes though
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go with hazelnut. It smells like peanut butter to me, so it makes me enjoy it even more!

If you can' stand drinking your coffee black, I suggest using soy milk or almond milk. About 1/4th a cup of 8th continent plain soy milk is only 20 calories, and you're still getting some calcium. Even if you usually have an aversion to soy milk or almond milk, you won't taste the difference in your coffee. If you do, you're probably using too much!

Good luck! :3
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I drink my coffee black. I drink hazelnut and it is quite yum! The aroma is amazing, as well.

^^ Edit: She beat me to it, lol!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Buy a good quality coffee that is freshly roasted if you can. Throw out your automatic coffee maker and buy a french press or a Chemex. The improvement in the coffee is unbelievable!!!! I didn't believe it when I was told this until I tried it. Now I don't use my coffee maker at all!! And using good beans and the french press or chemex to brew I don't even want the cream or sugar!
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Black everyday and you do not need a specialty blend use Folgers or Maxwell house regular roast they are whats best to me.:drinker:
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love Millstones Chocolate Velvet or Caramel truffle. Winco has some gormet coconut creme that is delish that you grind yourself. I only buy gormet coffee because my philosophy is that life is too short to drink bad coffee :bigsmile:

BTW, I have never drank my coffee with cream and sugar.....it ruins the taste of the good coffee for me ;)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yemens, Ethiopians, Idonesians are some of my faves. As are good espresso blends.