Options
erinmick2
erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
I really want to make this recipe for cottage cheese pancakes tomorrow morning:

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup cottage cheese
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

However, the recipe says to blend all the ingredients into a batter, but I don't want to wake everyone up in the morning with the blending blaring. Could I make the batter tonight and hold in the fridge until morning or will it turn funky?

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump

More so saving because I've never heard about this and it sounds intriguing!
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I never used to batter. I usually use two forks, and keep turning it. You should do it in the AM. Regardless ,they are going to wake up to the delicious smell.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Also bumping because this has the potential to be the most amazing thing ever.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The ingredient I'd be most worried about is the eggs, but Rose Levy Beranbaum in her book The Pie and Pastry Bible says egg whites will keep in your refrigerator for ten days.

After that might be the cottage cheese, but as we know, that keeps quite a while in the fridge.

Everything else should be okay, I'd say.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    You can store any pancake batter overnight but I would try cooking a small batch tonight and then cook it tomorrow to see if you can tell whether or not there is a difference in taste.

My concern is that with eggwhites the point of it cooking it right away is for it to be fluffy. They might get flat if you store it overnight. You can try adding a teaspoon of baking soda or baking powder to it.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    To be honest - if you tilt a regular bowl slightly to the side, and then whisk fast with a fork, you pretty much get the same bubbles than with a blender.
    I've always done it that way with most things. My nan and mum taught me to cook that way, and I'm not changing :P
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    since there's no baking soda, it should be ok. The worst case scenario is they will be less "fluffy" once cooked because the egg whites will absorb air and get foamy in the blender, then the air will release in the fridge overnight... that's assuming they're meant to be fluffy, without flour they might not be meant to.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I made a similar recipe last weekend (only difference was Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese) and I mixed it with a fork. It came out great! I don't think you'll really need the blender. Even a whisk would work, I bet.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Trying!
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    interesting. bump.
  • UrbanWild
    Options
    I really want to make this recipe for cottage cheese pancakes tomorrow morning:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    4 egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla

However, the recipe says to blend all the ingredients into a batter, but I don't want to wake everyone up in the morning with the blending blaring. Could I make the batter tonight and hold in the fridge until morning or will it turn funky?

Just curious--Are you using quick oats?

And I agree on the egg point--they should be whipped up fresh to make the pancakes fluffy. Can you take the blender into the garage? :laugh:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I make a similar recipe, I cook the whole lot in advance and microwave at breakfast time, is this an option for you?
  • I've made these at least 20 times!!! i found the recipe on a fitness website and ever since the first time I've had them me and my boyfriend can't get enough. I've blended it a few times. most the time i just mixed it with a wooden spoon. the oatmeal and cottage cheese make the texture of the pancakes amazing., much better than regular pancakes! it's by far my favorite healthy breakfast recipe. i usually add cinnamon and a no calorie sweetener. i also sometimes eat them with peanut butter and banana slices.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to wake everyone up? Are these just for you? If you're cooking for everyone, they ought to be up anyway because pancakes don't take very long to cook.
  • diinva
    Options
    bump
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Just to claify, its dry quick oats?
  • natbeach
    Options
    bump... sunday morning here I come!
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just try this!!!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It seems you should be able to mix tonight as dry oats aren't much different than flour base
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try and add 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg.