Anyone Facebookless?

Options

Replies

• snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had one to keep in touch with my daughter, until I found out any pictures I posted became the property of Facebook.
    I have FB to keep in touch with family and finding/reconnecting with old classmates. I like having a way to connect to a lot of people I care about in one area, but I can understand that it's not everyones cup of tea.

PS: Most online sites are like that, even MFP has something like that in their terms of use (#18 in the MFP TOS Agreement - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/terms_of_use ).

Basically a rule of thumb in the online world is to assume that any site where you have to create an account to log-in/share with has Terms of Services stating that you are giving said site the rights to ALL content you post while there.
  • ashedw425
    Options
    I don't have one, I did have one a couple of years ago but soon realized it was just not for me so I deleted it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Never had a Facebook account and never will.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    All my extended family and friends are after me and my hubby to open an account. It seems like one more thing to upkeep and maintain. My life right now is pretty hectic so no, not right now. Maybe in the future like when my sons go away to college it would be nice. FB just doesn't have a place in my life as of this moment.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Your pics are not property of Facebook. Lol. Anyone that thinks that is not really the brightest bulb. I've read the TOC, I'm not going into the legal stuff here. But, they don't own your pictures. Lol. Any pic you post anywhere on the Internet...ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET... Is there forever. It's not Facebook, it's how the Internet works.

You know that MFP is searchable by Google. That means anything you post here is out there on the open Internet. If you're scared of Facebook, you should also immediately cancel your MFP account. Lol. Bunch of wackos, you are.

Anywho, you sit here posting, but don't have time for Facebook. Lol. Further evidence you are all wackos.

Facebook is a nice way to stay in touch with friends and relatives that you don't talk to a lot. While my kids are growing up, it is easy to simply put up a couple pics of the kids. Everyone sees them and can make comments. But the point is, I don't mail out pics, I don't send Xmas cards anymore, and I don't call 5th cousins that I've never met. But, it's nice to just simply communicate with them through that kind of medium.

People have this weird thing about Facebook. It is not time consuming. You can set alerts however you want. If you never want an email, just turn off all alerts. Security settings are pretty tight now. It's easy to use. Probably in 30 seconds once a week you can go in and see if anything is going on.

I'm friends with a lot of organizations and business in my area, so I always find out what's going on, where live bands are playing, and what's fun in my city. There is no way I would know about those things otherwise. It's an easy way for them to say, "tonight so and so band is playing, and it's a two for one drink night" or whatever. If it sounds fun, I may go. They don't advertise via other means anymore.

There are more benefits to having a page and you can use it however you want to. If its just not your thing, that's fine. I get that. But, when people are nasty about it, I figure they don't understand it and are ignorant to its benefits. I've gotten a lot of good use out of it.

My advice is when it comes to relationships, it's best to keep your relationship status and your girlfriend/boyfriend off Facebook until you are sure. If a break-up occurs, just immediately block them. You have to. I've seen ugly break ups on Facebook,and can't understand why they continue the banter when they can just block each other.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I'm considering killing mine. I haven't used it in a long time. I realized I don't care where everyone checks in, who's breaking up, what your every random thought was. If someone messages me - ill check it. Otherwise I'm steering clear. Can't quite bring myself to hit deactivate though.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Never had and not really interested. That being said, I get annoyed when I almost feel pressured to have one to be able to see a new baby pic, find out about a family member, get the inside scoop on an event coming up and so on.

If I say "Oh I didn't know that", they look at me as if its my fault and say that I should have checked FaceBook. REALLY?????
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had one but deactivated it like a year ago.
    ^^This

I actually hate all social media. Or I did. MFP screwed that up.

^ ^ Have no interest in fb but I can't get enough of MFP!!
  • hunter624
    Options
    Fb isn't that where people add you as friends and ignore you in the street, not on it, don't want to be on it, never joined it.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Never had and not really interested. That being said, I get annoyed when I almost feel pressured to have one to be able to see a new baby pic, find out about a family member, get the inside scoop on an event coming up and so on.

If I say "Oh I didn't know that", they look at me as if its my fault and say that I should have checked FaceBook. REALLY?????

Yes. My aunt got mad at me because I don't send pictures of my kids in the mail to all the family members. Yeah, screw that. That's was so 20 years ago. I post them on Facebook. My aunt now has an account after I told her she will never see them again unless she gets an account and friends me. That's life in 2012. It is efficient. I'm also not calling 25 people to tell them some kind of news...someone was born, someone died, etc. I just post it and that's it. When my mom died, it was nice because I didn't have to call everyone and keep talking about it all day on the phone. Of course, I called a few people close to me, and then posted it, and that's all I had to do.

It's not all negative. There are huge positive things to it. It is efficient communication.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Fb isn't that where people add you as friends and ignore you in the street, not on it, don't want to be on it, never joined it.

WTH does that mean.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have a facebook. I admit when I first started I was on there ALL THE TIME. But I have had it for a few years and now I go on about twice a week for about ten minute, get bored and turn it off. I am on MFP way more than I am on FB. There is just too much drama on there. But I have a lot of family in other states and it is nice to be able to "see" them through their pictures. But I am finding the people on MFP much less dramafied (yes I am making up words) and more supportive.
  • drailine
    drailine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a FB account and I use daily. I find it great for keeping in touch with friends and family that are geographically close. It has also allowed to me reconnect with childhood friends that I had lost contact with as we all moved out of the small town we grew up in. I keep my FB private so not everyone has access to it. It's much easier to let family members know what is going on in your life and allow them to view pics of the kids growing up at their leisure....this way I don't have to remember to send the pics to everyone. It may not be for everyone; but it serves the purpose that I need it for. I love it!
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    Never had ANY interest in it what-so-ever. No time for it either.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Had one, deactivated it, don't miss it.

This.... FB is the devil....:devil:
  • sosino
    Options
    Nope really dislike FB and Twitter. I know one other person who thinks the same as me so it's nice to read this and see we are not alone.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Don't have one, don't want one. Would rather spend my time on here as it's productive and I spend a LOT of time on here! Lol x
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i checked facebook every 30 minutes. so actually getting rid of mine was the best opinion. i forced myself to do it because there are other ways you can talk to people and i ended up stalking everyone all the time. if people wanna communicate. there is skype and email. simple. or even letters.
  • nickywire
    Options
    Never wanted it, got one, didn't understand what to do with it. At one point I got addicted but I didn't like how I was spending my time and deleted it. Had to open one again for a project at my university (annoying as hell) and then opened one again a few other times but I always deleted it. I don't like everyone seeing my full name, I don't like people trying to add me based on the fact that we go to the same school, or on the fact that we have ~friends~ in common.

That being said I use Twitter daily, I like the fact that I don't have to put my full name on it, etc. Plus it seems like news travels quicker on there.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't have it and never will.

ETA: My employer is very weird about facebook but the problem with work is that if you are "friends" with anyone from work then everyone from work wants to friend you. If you say no, it looks bad. if you friend them, you can't say anything bad about work ever. I have a friend who got passed over for a really good job opportunity because she had said something bad about work and it got back to the bigwigs. No thanks.