success by weighing daily or weekly??

Options
I was just wondering how everyone has seen the results of weighing weekly or daily?

Replies

• aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I often weigh daily but record weekly or fortnightly. I find it really interesting how much my weight fluctuates in a day! Depending on salt intake, TOM, water etc. You need to be careful not to let the scales rule. It's the fit of your clothes that tell the real story :-) I am not obsessed with numbers at all so I just do it for interest sake.
    :happy:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to weekly. Daily weighing affects my mood too much with all the fluctuations.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but don't record daily... my weight stays fairly consistent with a downward trend, so I only record when the same number shows up a few days in a row.
  • danewortley
    danewortley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly, then i got a new scale and began to weigh daily, and then multiple times a day and began to obsess and get frustrated about not seeing constant improvement. Scales are dangerous for me, so my wife and I agreed to once a week max on weigh in's. Measure success by how you feel, what you accomplish and your overall successes in your fitness journey not just a stupid black and white number on a box.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The first 2 months I only weighed in once a month to not get discouraged and I wanted to see a larger number.

Now, I weigh myself every 1st and 15th of the month.

I take a monthly picture every 1st to see the changes from month to month.

:)
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    With a paper chart, I record Sunday nights weight before bed, then monday mornings weight post-pee.

The sunday night one is more to keep in the back of my mind that there is always going to be a difference depending on all sorts of things including liquids in your body, and so long as overall it's going in the right direction it's fine.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I think you need to do what's right for you. I like to see how my body's changing -- and see after what I do, whether it trends up or down. My scale breaks down my fat% and lean muscle %, so as long as the overall slope of the line is trending downwards, I don't stress (too much) over fluctuation changes. However, I always make sure that the conditions are the same when weighing daily. Time of day, scale, etc.

When I first started, I was jumping on the scale every, like, hour. Which was bad! I've since controlled myself back to once a day. For me, I couldn't wait a week. But you should try everything and see what's right for you!

There's a lot of good suggestions on how people handle the scale!

(I also like my scale right now -- it's been kind to me lately!)
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing every morning. It just keeps me on track for the day. I only record my weight once a week. It gives me a more true idea of how much I'm losing.

Oh and I'm honest about it. For example, I weighed in Thursday at 179.2, but on Friday I was 180 even. I'd love to put down the 179.2, but I didn't *see* that number on Friday so I won't let myself mark it down.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 2 weeks.... at 1200 cal and set to loose only 1lb a week I am going SSLOOOW, and I hate disappointment.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Try whatever you are comfortable with … I do better with every day.
  • holtzgirl
    Options
    I like to weigh weekly. I have issues with seeing myself as a number if I do more than that.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've been on the weight loss see-saw many times in my life and the one constant for ME (each individual is different) was weighing myself daily. When I felt like I had "messed up" I would skip weighing myself for a day or two... and then that would turn into not weighing myself for a week and then I would be in the catch-22 of "who cares, I don't know how much I might've already screwed this up since I'm not weighing myself so I might as well have that half a cheesecake." and then not weighing myself for weeks and months on end and totally losing sight of my desire to lose weight.

I've been on MFP for about 500 days now and the past 8 months of those have been with only a 4.5 pound loss and some ups and downs over the past 4 months of 4-5 pounds and then down a couple and then back up and so on and so on. I tried to go a month without weighing but I started getting lost in my old ways ... and that was not healthy for ME.

Everything I do is FOR ME. Find what is right for you. Weighing myself every day and recording it (not here) for my use is definitely necessary even though it sometimes does give me a "sad outlook" for the day... overall it keeps me on track!
  • LinziB125
    Options
    I weigh twice a week. Find it most beneficial as I felt daily weigh-ins showed too much variation to really know if I was on track. Normally do it Monday and Thursday. to keep myself on my toes :)
  • krnlmustrd
    krnlmustrd Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think if I don't weigh daily, I'm more likely to be reckless with my diet that day. Daily weighing also keeps me motivated. If I see an uptick or a day or two of staying the same weight, I feel even more motivated to get that back down.
  • 6302getsfit
    6302getsfit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weight daily, and record daily, but ussaly my water weight shifts. I think its kinda cool seeing how i can lose weight up and down on the chart :) 5 more pounds to go!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i'm at a point where the fluctuations on the scale no longer bother me so i weigh daily. i log my weight every morning (gain or loss) on http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html to note trends in my weight. as long as the overall picture is moving down, that's all that matters to me.
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly, then i got a new scale and began to weigh daily, and then multiple times a day and began to obsess and get frustrated about not seeing constant improvement. Scales are dangerous for me, so my wife and I agreed to once a week max on weigh in's. Measure success by how you feel, what you accomplish and your overall successes in your fitness journey not just a stupid black and white number on a box.

*ME TOO! I get obsessed with the scale and my mood fluctuates along withthe numbers.Trying to stay away except for once a week. Ditto everyting you said :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you weight daily you will see more fluctuations. The less often you weigh, the smoother the trendline will be. But it has no physical bearing on weight loss; just psychological. Some people get discouraged to see the scale go up. They need to get over it or not weigh daily, because I promise you, the scale WILL go up sometimes.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I weigh every 14-15 days, no more than that as I know I could get obsessed by chasing the scale.

I keep my scale in the original box it came in and it's stored in my upstairs closet.

It makes it harder for me to weigh more often if I have to get it out of the original packaging and bring it downstairs to use.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    the scale moves down every couple of days... i usually check every morning... but if i kno i had a bad day the night before i wont get so bent out of shape about it. . checking daily lets me kno whats working and whats not.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!