Hummus recipe?

I just bought chickpeas (goddam* garbanzo beans that took me an hour to find at the store....) and I want to make hummus but there are sooo many recipes that I just want to know which ones you guys have tried and liked :D

Replies

• MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    BUMP

curious, too
  • blend the peas, tahini and lemon juice... thats what i do its simple and easy :P
  • I make my hummus as follows: 1 can chickpeas, 4 cloves garlic (yum!), 1 T tahini (sesame seed paste), 1T lemon juice, sprinkle of cayenne, salt and pepper to taste, water to smooth.

Puree garlic in food processor. Add chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, cayenne and salt and pepper. Puree. Add water to smooth (usually about 3/4 of a cup, but use as much as you need - just make sure to keep it thick).

Most recipes call for olive oil, but my eating plan doesn't allow any added oils.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    400 g Can Chickpeas, washed and drained
    Juice 1 Lemon
    1 Garlic Clove
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    2 Tbsp Tahini Paste
    ½ tsp Ground Cumin, (optional)

1.Whizz everything together in a blender until smooth - loosen with a little water if you like. If you don't have a blender, mash smooth with a fork or masher. Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.

Notes: 221 kcalories, protein 8g, carbohydrate 14g, fat 15 g, saturated fat 2g, fibre 4g, sugar 1g, salt 0 g
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    This is the recipe i use - pretty basic but open to experiment with seasonings and spices - i have been thinking of trying putting something like a tiny bit of hot sauce in to spice it up:

2 cloves of garlic
    1 19oz can chick peas (1/2 liquid reserved)
    4 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tbsp Tahini
    1 teaspoon salt
    black pepper (to taste)
    2 tbsp olive oil

Blend beans, garlic, juice, Tahini
    Add oil and pepper
    Use veggies or pita to serve
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Spicy and yummy. I use white beans but I'm sure it would be just fine with chickpeas!

Avocado White Bean Hummus
    1 Avocado
    1 Can White Beans
    2 Cloves Garlic
    1/4 Cup Olive Oil
    4tbsp Lemon Juice
    1tsp Cayenne
    1tsp Cumin
    1tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Paprika
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Thanks guys!!
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    I'm a little late in the game here but thought I would give some general ideas of what I do. I prefer my hummus to have very little lemon juice so I change every hummus recipe to well less than 1T lemon. I'm not sure what my problem is with that! My daughter love hummus. I've always thinnned it with olive oil but think I'll use chicken stock instead to give more flavor than water.

My favorite spices are cumin

Sometimes when I want a spicier dip I add a chipolte pepper in adobo. Yummo!

I've also used smoked paprika

Roasted garlic is even better than raw. (When I'm in a hurry I'll throw whole garlic cloves in a dry skillet and cook them until soft. Watch closely and don't have the heat too high. This mellows the flavor a lot!)

Find the base recipe you like and then change the spices to change the flavor.

*Hint - I purchase a can of chipolte peppers in adobo and portion them out 2 peppers in a sandwich bag. I freeze these sandwich bags in a quart sized freezer bag. Anytime I want to add some heat, I grab one sandwich bag out of the freezer and go. This lets me use up a can without wasting any and gives flavor to many dishes for very little money!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    I just bought chickpeas (goddam* garbanzo beans that took me an hour to find at the store....) and I want to make hummus but there are sooo many recipes that I just want to know which ones you guys have tried and liked :D

If you check my recipes, I have a jalapeno hummus recipes - two versions actually. Feel free to check them out. I assume if my diary is open - you can access?