coming off BC?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
I have been on BC (Diane35ED to be exact) since I was 12 years old to clear up my acne.
For the past week, I ran out and did not have money to buy anymore so have not been using it for the past week.
In this time, my daily panic attacks are gone, my terrible sleeping patterns (waking up at least 5 or 6 times a night)- gone!
My RHR has gone from 88 to 56 and my BP has gone from 138/80 to 118/80 - in one week!

I'm thinking I might try without just for a bit and see how I feel, and if my acne decides to flare back up or not. Because I was so young and going through so many hormonal changes when I got on it (I was an early bloomer) I'm hoping that my skin should be fine.

For anyone who has come off BC after being on it for a long period of time, what side effects did you have when coming off it? The good and the bad?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    Options
    bump
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    let's see...when I got off BC (10 years) I lost weight, I no longer had the urge to stuff my face silly, lost cravings for sweets and chips, I didn't have mood swings, I got a libido back, I felt 'lighter'-I just felt so sluggish and blah all the time. I smile more, I feel better about myself, and my skin lightened up and started glowing. I also got wicked cramps and lower back aches.

I won't take BC anymore.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    let's see...when I got off BC (10 years) I lost weight, I no longer had the urge to stuff my face silly, lost cravings for sweets and chips, I didn't have mood swings, I got a libido back, I felt 'lighter'-I just felt so sluggish and blah all the time. I smile more, I feel better about myself, and my skin lightened up and started glowing. I also got wicked cramps and lower back aches.

I won't take BC anymore.

True... I'm not getting sugar cravings anymore actually!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    CAUTION: Sometimes when people stop taking birth control, they get pregnant.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

I won't take BC anymore.

i stopped taken it last year after being on it 5 years...i dropped a ton of weight, i never had to urge to eat till i was overly stuffed and felt like the world had a lot more meaning to it...i never had the lower back problems or cramps...still the same as i was on BC...cycles still regular and on time every month.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

LOL. True story!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant when I went off BC :laugh:
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA! So funny, so true.

When I go off birth control my acne and sweating and body hair go WILD for a good 2 months and then finally begins to settle. 5 months to get my period normal.

Despite feeling SO much better after going off birth control, I had strong urges to go back on when I felt like a oily hairy pizzaface but I'm glad I didn't because it relaxed and I'm now not completely acne-free but I only break out before my period.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You mean other than getting pregnant?

My main difference is my mood. I'm ok on the mini pill but now I'm done breast feeding I should go to something else. I'll be starting a new one soon so hopefully it is better!

Unfortunately I like it the most out of my birth control options.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds coming off BC, and they are here to stay. I came off in April and it's now Sept and they're still here. I was at maintenence since November too.

Also, my fertility is screwed up since I've been trying to have a baby this whole time and nothing. Cycle is all messed up. All the horrible cramps came back and all the acne.

I did get libido back though. I prob won't go on it again though due to the whole fertility thing taking so long. The rest I can deal with.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Difference here is that I was using it as acne control, I haven't had sex in 2 years :(
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I was on BC for 16 years. When I stopped, my anxiety disorder became a bit of anxiety from time to time. I was on the mini pill for the last 4 years, and it made acne worse and anxiety worse.

People really underestimate how much hormones can screw with your psyche.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've been off of it for about a week because I ran out of refills and I couldn't get to the doctor soon enough. Lol.

The only thing I've noticed is my vagina is a lot... erm... juicier. Lol. (Sorry)

Sounds like you should try a different birth control if it was causing you that many problems...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I've been off of it for about a week because I ran out of refills and I couldn't get to the doctor soon enough. Lol.

The only thing I've noticed is my vagina is a lot... erm... juicier. Lol. (Sorry)

Sounds like you should try a different birth control if it was causing you that many problems...

I don't like the idea of putting hormones in your body anyway, thinking I might try without it for awhile and see how my skin is.
    Wasn't using it for the birth control side of it anyway.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have/had horrible cystic acne. Zinc has made more of a difference then the 5 different antibiotics and creams I've been on. Give it a try.:smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I have/had horrible cystic acne. Zinc has made more of a difference then the 5 different antibiotics and creams I've been on. Give it a try.:smile:

Will give it a try :)

Do you take a tablet or is through food just as good a source?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    anyone else have migraines?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

And some women who have taken BC for 20 years are so effed up, they can no longer conceive. - True story.
  • turbofuzz77
    turbofuzz77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you have an acne flare up just google up a natural remedy....it may be a naive answer on my part cuz i dontt know your skin n such but it couldnt hurt..hope it helps:smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    If you have an acne flare up just google up a natural remedy....it may be a naive answer on my part cuz i dontt know your skin n such but it couldnt hurt..hope it helps:smile:

Hope so too!
    BC for acne is usually the last option.. but since i got it in my teens hopefully now my hormones are a bit more normal.